The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 194 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the guy puts holes in his rocker and sill panel and builds a custom seat for his buddy. Man, he better buy you some lobster or something.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

time to hang some panels on the Chrysler 300 I'm working on and got a peek of the decklid and hood in the booth. I also got to see a gas door I had to put a lot more time into than I would have liked.

kind of happy cause the boss is trying new stuff out by having us each assigned to a car rather than tag teaming. This was my first solo job at this place. So far so good. Can't wait to see it buffed cause it's already popping as is.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Just went back out and sliced a couple of hunks off a (badly bent up) hood from a '95 Mustang. Ground & polished. got rid the paint and etc. And tried putting them together. Still using the .035 wire and gas turned up to 15

Power turned up to 105 amps

Ran a bead around the "seam", released the clamps and said something that sounded a lot like "whale oil beef hooked"

They are stuck together! Ground down the beads and still could not pry them apart! Cut through the beads with angle grinder and - wow!

Tomorrow I'll see if that was a one-off or if it just might be repeatable. (and I guess I'll try my stick welder on the heavy channel iron for the window frames for the burglar bars - otherwise its "Yoo hoo neighbor?"
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

that wire is kind of big for sheet metal and with the thickness of a car from 95 you're making it hard on yourself. If you get .023 wire you will get better results. You will also need .023 tips to with the wire. No more than $20 for the tips and wire.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I actually picked up a small spool of the .023 wire for experimenting with, but being about as smart as the average parking meter, it never occurred to me to get a tip for it. Oh well - KMS Tools is only about 20 minutes away tomorrow
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

the tip will make the welds cleaner. Get that new wire in there tomorrow and have at it.

Speaking of welding... our welder has been acting erratic to the point where we stopped what we were doing to have a look at it and half the ground wires were gone so it must have been zapping the amps. So we fixed that first and still couldn't figure out why the welder was acting funky. Then someone looked closely at the tank and it was 100% argon. I welded a huge slice 18G and just figured the welder that I thought was already acting inconsistent was now getting progressively worse. So the guy after me who welded 22G REALLY noticed it.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 AM

65 mustang get the lead out

fineished up stiping the stang down.removed all the lead from the seems and etch & 2k primed.will block and prime about 3 moretimes.then i stared takin apart a 73 nova ss.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
time to hang some panels on the Chrysler 300 I'm working on and got a peek of the decklid and hood in the booth. I also got to see a gas door I had to put a lot more time into than I would have liked.

kind of happy cause the boss is trying new stuff out by having us each assigned to a car rather than tag teaming. This was my first solo job at this place. So far so good. Can't wait to see it buffed cause it's already popping as is.

WOW!!! The painter did a great job.....I'm kiddin ,but dont you hate hearing that...I know I do and I do the painting too..
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Everyone's tastes are different. I'd set the front ride height so that the fender opening to tire appearance is about the same as what is at the back right now and for my taste the back is perfect as is. However - it isn't my truck, so it's not my place to say....

Beautiful truck! Love it!
That's what I was going to say
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
the guy puts holes in his rocker and sill panel and builds a custom seat for his buddy. Man, he better buy you some lobster or something.
If you read the full story about Steve, that Brian posted afew months ago, you would feel different. Brian is simply a blessing to Steve. No less. Brian has his reward in seeing the smile on Steve's face. No lobster needed.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
If you read the full story about Steve, that Brian posted afew months ago, you would feel different. Brian is simply a blessing to Steve. No less. Brian has his reward in seeing the smile on Steve's face. No lobster needed.
You understand, yes, if you don't feel it when you see others smile you just wouldn't get it.

Brian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
adantessr (03-22-2013), AutoGear (03-28-2013), John long (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
WOW!!! The painter did a great job.....I'm kiddin ,but dont you hate hearing that...I know I do and I do the painting too..
hahahha, yeah it's annoying. I recall standing by the booth and saying it's pretty straight and the painter responds by saying, "yeah, I don't paint over anything wavy so if you bring something wavy I'll kick it back." My thoughts were, "ummm ok." no biggie. Just how it is.

He did do his part on this one. The last painter didn't put enough primer on things and it made it harder on us. This guy actually puts enough primer on it or shall I say a standard amount of primer on each car. So moving forward our work will be better as a team. He did a great job on these parts, especially in directing the boss to clean up the booth and get things straightened out in terms of cleanliness before even stepping into the booth. He gets a big thumbs up in my book. All about team work.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You understand, yes, if you don't feel it when you see others smile you just wouldn't get it.

Brian
I get that feeling...with my daughter.

You're a good man, Brian. Just tell him YOUR eyes can light up to as your pouring butter on your lobster.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
that wire is kind of big for sheet metal and with the thickness of a car from 95 you're making it hard on yourself. If you get .023 wire you will get better results. You will also need .023 tips to with the wire. No more than $20 for the tips and wire.
Wish I could get tips and wire at under $20! Or is it a 2 lb. roll, as I pay $23 just for a 10 Lb. roll of .023 wire alone, and I get a good discount. Do you order it online, or?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I thought about that and the fact is it's been years since I bought a spool. don't do much welding at home. Prices have probably changed.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Trivia thread | - »