The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 196 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I do my own blocking for first round of primer in 150-180 then on the second app I might go 240 then 320 and then the painter will soft block it with some 400. I'm also soft blocking at the 320 stage. Obviously this depends on how much is on the second application of primer cause it can be too many step ups if there's not at least 2-3 coats on it. So with the old painter there was no more than 3-4 coats of primer(not applications) in total, with this painter it's 4-6 coats within 2 prime applications. So he's definitely doing us favors and it shows, and thanks to that it gives me a feeling of teamwork around here instead of "me-me-me". Great addition to the team for sure.
That's nice that you have control up to paint prep. It stinks when they do all the blocking. Even with collision work it sucks sometimes, you put your heart into something and then look over there and they are blocking it with an orbital sander.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Been working on a '67 GTO for the past couple years. I welded in the right rear wheel well pieces today. Already replaced the lower front door pillars, outer rockers, left front toe board and complete floor pan. Now that both the rear wheel wells are in, I will put the body back on the frame for final fit of the 1 piece trunk pan mounting locations. It's getting closer everytime I work on it. Still need to weld in the tail panel and then start on the trunk extention and rear window cove repairs.

Last year...

Last month welding in the floor pan and inner rockers. I had already replaced the outers.

Couple weeks ago...

Today...

Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Spent the morning at a small swap meet, then headed home and spent the day welding and fabbing. Got all my straight axle mounts finish welded, and tacked to the frame. Then finished welding in all the box tubing up front. The straight axle is tacked in now, so got rid of the C clamps and it's a roller again!
Got the sawzall out and chopped the column out of the Falcon, and drilled some mounting holes to mount the '95 Camaro column into the Falcon. Still need to fab up the mount on the lower firewall, but it's in place and just a few small bolts through the floor will make it solid now.
Maybe I need to wire up the air bag and get it working? NOT!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Got up at 3am, left at 5am drove 100 mi. Showed on of my dogs at a dog show. Drove back 100 miles. Replaced alt and belt on one van. Repaired squeeky brakes on second van. Cleaned out 6 years crap out of one trailer. Mowed 3 acres crass. Found out can't see sh** out of new prescription sunglasses while facing evening sun. Ran over driveway light with mower. Said crap and called it quits.

BB
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

I went to my sister-in-laws house to paint a bedroom. Found mildewed drywall, any questions?

Brian

Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I went to my sister-in-laws house to paint a bedroom. Found mildewed drywall, any questions?

Brian

So you tore it all out ???dont they make some kind of magic mildew paint like POR -15 that you can just paint right over it ...I'm kidding of coarse , your using water board? (green sheetrock),Thats usually used in kitchens and baths some insulation would be nice ...Seems like theres more to this story....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 03-24-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

That green you see was the color of the room. I am using regular old sheetrock. Yeah I could have patched and messed with it and primed it but it was real bad and I knew it needed to be replaced. The real concern was what the inside of the walls looked like, we didn't know until we ripped it out that it looked like new. But that rock was soft and stunk pretty bad removing it so I am glad we removed it. There were some holes from the moisture here and there that needed patching anyway. I sure as heck don't want to be doing this stuff this weekend missing the Goodguys, but it was the right thing to do.

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

you must live somewhere warm. no insulation. I would probably rip out the rest of the sheet rock, insulate put up a vapor barrier and new green sheet rock. then start tapping the fun part. I spent 35 years building houses its no fun what you have to do. sc
Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Don't you dare suggest me ripping the rest of that rock out! No really, please don't suggest that, she wanted me to insulate that area right there, told her sorry I wasn't going to take the time to do that I am in over my head as it is on this project.

Yep, this is sunny California, having the whole house insulated of course would be nice but in this case it isn't going to happen. It's a flat top too, not the most efficient design.

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Been working on a '67 GTO for the past couple years. I welded in the right rear wheel well pieces today. Already replaced the lower front door pillars, outer rockers, left front toe board and complete floor pan. Now that both the rear wheel wells are in, I will put the body back on the frame for final fit of the 1 piece trunk pan mounting locations. It's getting closer everytime I work on it. Still need to weld in the tail panel and then start on the trunk extention and rear window cove repairs.
Very nice work and it sure is coming together!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Yes very nice.

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:

Well, I did get out to the garage yesterday, and it really does have to be my sanctuary, lol, my mind is so much clearer now. I got my S10 on stands, the exhaust out, driveshaft out and started on the transmission when a buddy called to see if I could come up. He is freshening up a late model 350 in his 1925 "rodster" he calls it. He said he couldn't get the cam to come out and wanted to know what the difference was in his motor and an older 350 other than the rear seal. Sooo, I went on over and as soon as I walked in his garage I saw the problem.
He still had the engine hanging on the cherry picker, away from his "rodster", and what caught my eye was the fuel pump bolted to the block. It happens to all of us I told him, you know, brain farts, blonde moments etc... lol. He started talkin about my '89 Chevy, I changed it over to HEI and a quadrajet about a year ago, and why I didn't have to go with a manual pump. I told him some of the late model motors cam didn't have the lobe for a manual pump. My motor just happened to be one so I am running the electric pump in the tank and just run a regulator to get the fuel pressure down. I also advised him to go back with a roller cam as his block is setup for it. Anyway, I decided to hang around there for awhile so I didn't get anything else done to my S10 but I did have a great day.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,040 Posts
It is good to see the work you Guys are getting done. Barb and I are in Nashville watching the grandkids for spring break. We will have to take a break and get back to our bragging in a few days.

Spending time with the kids is right up there with hot rods anyway.

John L.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Changed the oil on my 03 pt cruiser. Also cleaned it up some on the interior. Time is coming to replace it soon though. Got to figure out the best option for my limited budget so that I can work on paying off my other debts.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

i cleaned up a set of rims that i bought for 100 bucks

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.