The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 198 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,084 Posts
Boy if that isn't a good point Henry, how we do things at home and how they would be done at work are to completely different things for that one reason if nothing else, there are families around us along with our own and it isn't right to expose them to this stuff.

When I think of the completes I painted in my garage it sickens me. I can't imagine doing that to my neighbors now, but years ago I did it all the time!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

yeah, it worries me and is a huge concern. The max I do is 16 ounces of poly prime at a time with the garage partially open and the side door open and a fan pointed towards it. I could probably do more but haven't smelled a thing in the house and it doesn't stink up the neighbors property.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

I remember painting a 70ish Firebird complete in my garage, SS enamel. I taped the the door to the kitchen all the way around, sealing it. And of course my family was to be gone when I did the painting. The next day I could see a dusty overspray around the house! We are talking on the dishes in the cupboards! Lacquer didn't seem to be a big deal as far as the overspray but that SS enamel, holy cow it goes places.

Brian
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

get into the air ducts? man, that would be a disaster.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

After it happened I got to looking around and think it got in there thru the attic being that was open from the garage.

Talk about funky, now, I couldn't imagine doing that to my wife and kids! Thinking back, just my 1st wife.......hmmmmmm damn it I missed out on a good chance to get rid of her. Just kidding, geeez

Brian
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I remember painting a 70ish Firebird complete in my garage, SS enamel. I taped the the door to the kitchen all the way around, sealing it. And of course my family was to be gone when I did the painting. The next day I could see a dusty overspray around the house! We are talking on the dishes in the cupboards! Lacquer didn't seem to be a big deal as far as the overspray but that SS enamel, holy cow it goes places.

Brian
LOL SO I am not the only one ,mine was in basement,, Hint turn off attic fan, even if doors are taped .
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

should have sprayed Imron

Looks like tonight I'll take it easy and look for the e brake parts from numerous boxes-joy! Then I might take off the rear decklid hinges/springs before I do my second round of zero rust. Why paint the hinges on the car when it's nearly impossible to paint the springs? I think it would look much nicer with a nicely painted hinge on top of a nicely painted wheel house instead of some dry spray crap cause I was too lazy to take off the hinges.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Finished up the mounts for my ladder bars, and got them welded into the car. Also finished stripping the heater and all the firewall insulation. Then I installed my extra support plates on the inside the firewall to back the frame braces.
My fenderwell headers finally came in, so tomorrow I'll pick them up and pit them on my mockup engine. Then I can do the mockup of the Mazda truck steering box, and maybe fab up mounts for it.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

My fenderwell headers finally came in, and I got them mounted to my homemade mockup engine today. Afraid they are too close to the tires with the engine against the firewall. These are Tri 5 BBC headers, and the Falcon needs more room, so I got out the sawzall and chopped the firewall out.
After setting the engine back 2.5" into the firewall I have plenty of clearance, and it will also help up front with radiator clearance for the 454 Chevy.

The fenderwell headers do have a strange issue. The pass. side is wider than the driver's side by 1.5"!! Plenty of fender clearance on the driver's side, but very close to the pass. side lower fender drop around the collector. I'll have to trim the return on the wheelwell opening to make sure it doesn't hit.

After clearing the mockup out, I struck up the welder and finished fabricating the suspension mounts. Next step is to actually hang the 454 in and make sure I have clearance for maintenance, and repairs without having to pull the engine.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
My fenderwell headers finally came in, and I got them mounted to my homemade mockup engine today. Afraid they are too close to the tires with the engine against the firewall. These are Tri 5 BBC headers, and the Falcon needs more room, so I got out the sawzall and chopped the firewall out.
After setting the engine back 2.5" into the firewall I have plenty of clearance, and it will also help up front with radiator clearance for the 454 Chevy.

The fenderwell headers do have a strange issue. The pass. side is wider than the driver's side by 1.5"!! Plenty of fender clearance on the driver's side, but very close to the pass. side lower fender drop around the collector. I'll have to trim the return on the wheelwell opening to make sure it doesn't hit.

After clearing the mockup out, I struck up the welder and finished fabricating the suspension mounts. Next step is to actually hang the 454 in and make sure I have clearance for maintenance, and repairs without having to pull the engine.
That 2-1/2 " setback will also help with weight transfer to the rear wheels.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Yea and make for some great wheelies.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post

AWESOME stuff right there folks awesome stuff!

Brian
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
AWESOME stuff right there folks awesome stuff!

Brian
Thanks Brian!
Wheelies would be great, but not sure I can get hooked up good enough to lift a BBC's weight, even with the setback and aluminum heads! But it wont stop me from trying!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

All you need is weight distribution. My brother had a 59 Chevy Wagon back in the early seventies, it was raised a foot over stock. It had leaf springs on the rear with the axle under the springs and raise spindles on the front. Our dad got it for him as it was a trade in at the dealership he worked, he got it for $750 and it was a darn nice car, all new paint inside and out, it was nice. Anyway, he use to be able to pull the front tires off the ground with a few throttle pumps! People would crap when he opened the hood to the stock 283 with a two barrel and three speed with overdrive.

Brian
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Nothing exciting there (still working on the drywall at my sister in laws place) but something hit me today at work, I need to put my Bermuda bell in the Rambler. I bought this many years ago for the truck and it was fun, just a little ding dong like sound. They were popular in the 30's and up as a foot operated device that you bolted to your floor on the underside and you hit this pedal that was going thru the floor that would ring the bell. Mine is electric and I could have sworn it didn't work. So tonight I unscrewed it off the ceiling of the garage where it has been hanging and hooked it up to a battery and DING DONG, it works like a charm. I need to pick up a horn button (I know I had one but can't find it, natch).

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.