Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#381 ·
MARTINSR said:
When I think of the YEARS this damn car has been apart and what I can't find, I am very glad I did what I did to keep it organized, it really pays off. My son took a lot of it apart and I am finding this dash is going to be a lot easier than I thought because of him, check out the labeled bags of screws.

One of the things I did for the first time was to keep a binder with where things are, just quick notes on where I stick something. It's called the "Where in the living hell did I put that part" binder. This has helped tremendously! You can't believe how much this has helped. As you can see, it's no work of art. But damn is it helpful!

Check out the photos below.

Brian
Brian; If I could go to a folder like that to find something, I would be scared sh$*&^%$less because I know I wouldn't be in my garage! I would be expecting gunshots any second. LOL No doubt it's a good system and I should be doing that, definitely. Problem is I suffer from "I'll just put it here for now and surely I'll remember something as simple as that" syndrome! You would think that all those hours of looking for that "I know I put it right here" part would cure me, but not yet! I REALLY need to start doing that! I assume that you put the folder in the same spot each time? :nono: Bob

#382 ·
No fair....

Hey, I've got to do something on the project since I can't physically work on it right now, brrrrrrr!! :thumbup: Planning counts as my 5 minutes (well ok it took me a little while longer than that!!) Getting ready to order parts as soon as I finalize what I want to accomplish in the time I have before show season. Looking into a 200-4R swap for the glide and the 57ish rear that that juniorstocker recommended in another thread. Anybody know of anyone who has done the 200-4R swap on a 50-54? I'll start another thread in the appropriate place.

#383 ·
matts37chev said:
I start out organized then fizzle out :(

so does that binder/folder, keep track of all your garage/parts, not just one project?
if so that might work good for me I spend a lot of time looking for stuff
I just need to do a store inventory :thumbup:
In this case, the truck and the Gran Sports parts are "cataloged" in the binder. You can see parts for my truck in the lower half of the second page photo with the YH carbs and such, that's all parts for the truck.

Like I said, it is no work of art. It's a binder with fifty pages of paper in it and I just flip it open and scribble down a quick note when I store something away. I don't do it every time, I don't remember to. But I do often and it helps big time!

Brian

#384 ·
StreetKruzer said:
Brian; If I could go to a folder like that to find something, I would be scared sh$*&^%$less because I know I wouldn't be in my garage! I would be expecting gunshots any second. LOL No doubt it's a good system and I should be doing that, definitely. Problem is I suffer from "I'll just put it here for now and surely I'll remember something as simple as that" syndrome! You would think that all those hours of looking for that "I know I put it right here" part would cure me, but not yet! I REALLY need to start doing that! I assume that you put the folder in the same spot each time? :nono: Bob
The binder is sitting on top of the tool boxes on my bench. This is our problem thinking that we will remember where a part is or how it goes on the car. I am blown away at how I can forget something about a car I took apart a week ago, how about twenty years like when I am going to be putting my truck together (hopefully).

This is the thing, at work we often will have someone put together a car that he didn't take apart. So notes and well packaged components are a MUST.

I always say to the guys, "You need to label that well so when you hit the lotto and don't come back the guy putting that car together won't have a problem". :D

A quick note, or a piece of tape stuck to the part with a quick note helps wonders.

I took a LOT of photos of my Rambler when I was taking it apart planning on using them. Then my hard drive crashed! So, I was without them when I put the car together (I have since had them removed from my old hard drive and I have them :rolleyes: ) so that is a big help too. But notes written right on them, MAN O MAN does that help.

Brian

#385 ·
Low n' 51ow said:
Hey, I've got to do something on the project since I can't physically work on it right now, brrrrrrr!! :thumbup: Planning counts as my 5 minutes (well ok it took me a little while longer than that!!) Getting ready to order parts as soon as I finalize what I want to accomplish in the time I have before show season. Looking into a 200-4R swap for the glide and the 57ish rear that that juniorstocker recommended in another thread. Anybody know of anyone who has done the 200-4R swap on a 50-54? I'll start another thread in the appropriate place.
Yes of course you will want to do a new thread. But that 49-54 is a torque tube drive isn't it? If that is the case there is much more than a simple trans swap. The rear end trans, some frame work, the motor mounts on that motor are in the bell housing, that will be gone. There is a lot of work with that one.

Brian

#388 ·
Went to the Salem roadster show in the moring, then got home and the sun was trying to shine, so got the recently painted gasser out and got under it to wash off all the dust and dirt from weeks of bodywork. Then jacked it up and removed the tires so I can begin assembly and detailing.
Gotta run for paint and parts today to finish the rest, then start splicing wires and get all the lights and chrome reinstalled.

#389 ·
Got all my car errands done today, then dropped my rear wheels off to have the old MT Sportsmans taken off and new M&H street/strip radials installed. An inch narrower, but they should hook up much better. The MT's are really hard, and don't hook worth a darn!

Then I got busy painting and fabbing. Made up this plate so the Nissan hood latches I built into my lower fenders for the tilt frontend wont scrape up the paint when I lower the frontend. These aluminum strike plates can be scratched and not rust.

#390 ·
Sage rats

matts37chev said:
I start out organized then fizzle out :(

so does that binder/folder, keep track of all your garage/parts, not just one project?
if so that might work good for me I spend a lot of time looking for stuff
I just need to do a store inventory :thumbup:

what is a sage rat?
It is called a Richardson Ground Squirrel,or Picket Pin. It is a small prairie dog looking rat or squirrel that will destroy a farmers field and crop. If a farmer knows you are safe and serious about killing these critters he will alot of times buy you ammo to do the job. We have used over 5000 22 bullets in one field and the next week it looks the same. Look-up Oregon sage rats on Google. Ter409

#393 ·
Ter 409 said:
Another busy week-end for me! Snowmobiling Friday morning. Pulled the motor out of my Dodge 1 ton friday afternoon. It is now on the shop floor waiting to be replaced by another yard 360. Saturday went out to our local rifle range and ran a 1000 yard match. I used my AR 10 Long range and did all right for my match. Small group for the match was 4 3/4" and 49 points out of 50, not by me! Went looking for Sage Rats around noon as the weather turned off warm and got 2. Earliest I have ever killed any.Cleaned the shop this afternoon and installed some mud flaps on my Dodge PU. Hope to have my 1 ton running this week. Ter409
I love hunting sage rats, but unfortunately it's a long drive to get to good shooting, so I don't get to do it as often as I want to!

#395 ·
Ter 409 said:
It is called a Richardson Ground Squirrel,or Picket Pin. It is a small prairie dog looking rat or squirrel that will destroy a farmers field and crop. If a farmer knows you are safe and serious about killing these critters he will alot of times buy you ammo to do the job. We have used over 5000 22 bullets in one field and the next week it looks the same. Look-up Oregon sage rats on Google. Ter409
I looked it up. Be careful out there!!! {:-(

Attachments

#398 ·
Can we say HOT ROD? That thing looks awesome!

I have been working a ton of hours and just don't feel like getting out there but forced myself, even to just figure out where the horns go, no kidding that is all I was going to do. But you know how it is, not a bunch got done but a half hour or so and my instrument cluster plastic got polished along with the horns getting figured out. I need to sand blast them and paint them. I just can't do a quickie on them, just can't force my self to, I need to sand blast them and do it right.

Brian

Attachments