The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 201 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If it were easy every one would have one ,Good work,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
We don't give them enough credit for being pretty darn smart! My wife never falls for that either!
Not only does my wife NOT fall for it ,the last time I asked, I somehow ended up doing dishes...I'm still tryin to figure out how THAT happend. I suspect shes not only smarter but maybe WAY smarter than me.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
The Falcon's been doing that same wheelie for a month now! Just coaxed it down this week, and I'm trying to talk nice to her so she wont get on her high horse again!

I got the fab work done for the Mazda steering box today. Had to relieve the frame for the gusset on the box to clear, and then fill it in. After that I sleeved the upper bolt through the frame with heavy wall tubing, and built a plate for the lower two bolts.
Ground the keyway out of the stock pitman arm so I could turn it 180 degrees. Ground the crimp out of the tapered jont on the pitman arm and gutted it. Then made up a filler bushing to accept my heim joint drag link, and welded the bushing into the end of the pitman arm.
Lots of progress there. I really enjoy fab work also.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

my trunk space is ready for more zero rust, ready for a skim coat of filler on the left quarter, and the e-brake parts are ready for zero rust as well. The spring is still sitting in degreaser and I still have to find that clip that holds the e brake line onto a bracket. Today I body work and prime the lower valiances at work and re-prime the deck lid. I did the blocking on the deck lid last night over beers with the co workers. It's looking good so far. Just needs 2-3 more coats.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Great looking B block,,Beep Beep, did you do the art work,,
Its a decal (Auto Zone) and then cleared over with clear engine enamel.

Jester
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Changed out all 4 tires on the wifes summer wheels and balanced them. I LOVE having this equipment at home !!!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Finished installing gauges and shifter,then I painted sterring column to match the interior I will be installing ,will have to try to make some door panels ,I have never tried that ,mabe it will not be to hard..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guages 004.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	72755   Click image for larger version

Name:	guages 002.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	72756   Click image for larger version

Name:	guages 003.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	72757   Click image for larger version

Name:	guages 001.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	72758  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I attempted to mockup the trans and bellhousing. As I suspected the tiny Falcon trans tunnel wouldn't allow the Chevy bellhousing and Super T10 to fit, even with the engine tilted down in the rear. I ended up having to cut the trans tunnel out to get things bolted up.
So now I'll have to build a new trans tunnel when I build the firewall setback. Have to wled in the motor mounts first, and build the crossmember for the trans.
I guess I was making too much forward progress, so had to take a step backwards!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

can you take a guess which panel is the brand new aftermarket? Yes, the one with the most filler!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
can you take a guess which panel is the brand new aftermarket? Yes, the one with the most filler!
The thing that really aggravates me is not that they require filler to get them straight but they don't even fit most of the time. It should not be necessary to cut and dice a panel and sharpen every crease line just to make it fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
Not only out of shape, ill fitting, but thinner than factory too! I replaced both fenders and the hood on my '71 Camaro when I rebuilt it, and I wish I had gone through the effort to fix the stock fenders, as they were such better quality.
I dented the hood the first time I closed the latch while fitting it! Pushed down on it and it pushed in. Had to get to the backside and lay a sheet of 18ga. behind the area and tack it in so I wouldn't dent it again after paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Repro parts are a LAST RESORT for me. I did a 65 Fastback once where I bought a repro fender for it, the original was hammered bad. Anyway so I was fitting it and I am not making this up, right then a beat up old truck with a guy who picks up metal around down to go sell it as scrap goes driving by my back door and I see a Mustang fender on top of the pile! I went out there and bought this fender from him for $20 and used it, returning the repro! NO KIDDING! LOLOL

On that same car I put a repro hood, I hated that damn hood, the body lines faded away at the rear to almost nothing where it met the lines on the cowl, it looked like crap. It was all I had so I used it. About two years later the car came back in for some paint and body work and the hood was going to be painted. I took the hood off went to the Mustang place and traded it for a decent original. I spent a little filler time on the original hood and painted it and put it on. I feel much better when I see that car around town now (it's her daily driver).

I LOATH reproduction parts. If you go searching it is amazing how much good stuff is still out there, heck even NOS. It still shows up now and again, you need patience but good original will show up at a decent price on most parts. There are some you have no choice but most will show up if you give it some time.

Brian
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

the worst part is that I didn't mock these up before hand. I did a quick mock up of the rear and realized I have to shave down the quarter flange a bit to get it flush but I'm hoping I won't have to grind out my body work to tweak it around a bit. Oh well. I view doing stuff at work as a blessing so even if I have to grind away the primer from the edges to do some tweaking/bending at least I got some progress overall and it can be a quick spot prime. The Decklid blocked out great. No boss breathing down my back and so I got to really take my time blocking it.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,251 Posts
One of the nice things about having the metal working tools is you can usually take a patch panel and tweak it. For example, I took the lower Quarter panel patch for my roadster and ran it through the English Wheel to give it a little more curve. It would probably be more difficult with a replacement panel like a hood.

John
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Repro parts are a LAST RESORT for me. I did a 65 Fastback once where I bought a repro fender for it, the original was hammered bad. Anyway so I was fitting it and I am not making this up, right then a beat up old truck with a guy who picks up metal around down to go sell it as scrap goes driving by my back door and I see a Mustang fender on top of the pile! I went out there and bought this fender from him for $20 and used it, returning the repro! NO KIDDING! LOLOL

On that same car I put a repro hood, I hated that damn hood, the body lines faded away at the rear to almost nothing where it met the lines on the cowl, it looked like crap. It was all I had so I used it. About two years later the car came back in for some paint and body work and the hood was going to be painted. I took the hood off went to the Mustang place and traded it for a decent original. I spent a little filler time on the original hood and painted it and put it on. I feel much better when I see that car around town now (it's her daily driver).

I LOATH reproduction parts. If you go searching it is amazing how much good stuff is still out there, heck even NOS. It still shows up now and again, you need patience but good original will show up at a decent price on most parts. There are some you have no choice but most will show up if you give it some time.

Brian
the last time I did a repro part on a mustang was a hood. The holes were drilled wrong cause the fender line up left the old hood with perfect gaps, put in the new hood and all of a sudden the car looks like it needs to be square. The gap was too big on one side. It was a pain just to get it to look half way decent. As for the lower valiance, I imagine I'll have to mess with the holes and stretch. If there's an issue with the gaps I'm not too worried. It's only getting primed once down there. The rear valiance is another issue. Bad gaps to the quarters on a rear valiance on a Mustang looks horrible, but that's the original which will most likely fit like a glove once I pay a little more attention to it. Not doing stuff in the ideal order just taking advantage of opportunity.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.