The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 202 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Those repro valance never fit, the rears are MILES off. The ends often need a LOT of work to fit properly. It won't be the same curvature, the fold is all wrong, you have to do a lot of work to make them fit well.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Those repro valance never fit, the rears are MILES off. The ends often need a LOT of work to fit properly. It won't be the same curvature, the fold is all wrong, you have to do a lot of work to make them fit well.

Brian
the rear is factory. It's the left quarter that isn't. The quarter/drop off mating flange pokes out too far and isn't allowing the valiance to lay flush. I'm sure there will be more issues but that's what I found just holding it up using no bolts.

When I get my e brake parts in and shift cable adjusted I will put the tires back on and take the car off the stands and do a quick front end and rear end mock up. I already know the right fender extension needs to be metal worked. At that point I will be doing last minute gap adjustments, which is not ideal but I'm trying to get this done so when the boss says I can use the shop that means I'm grabbing whatever part fits in my car that needs working. Less sanding at my house the better.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Repro parts are a LAST RESORT for me. I did a 65 Fastback once where I bought a repro fender for it, the original was hammered bad. Anyway so I was fitting it and I am not making this up, right then a beat up old truck with a guy who picks up metal around down to go sell it as scrap goes driving by my back door and I see a Mustang fender on top of the pile! I went out there and bought this fender from him for $20 and used it, returning the repro! NO KIDDING! LOLOL

On that same car I put a repro hood, I hated that damn hood, the body lines faded away at the rear to almost nothing where it met the lines on the cowl, it looked like crap. It was all I had so I used it. About two years later the car came back in for some paint and body work and the hood was going to be painted. I took the hood off went to the Mustang place and traded it for a decent original. I spent a little filler time on the original hood and painted it and put it on. I feel much better when I see that car around town now (it's her daily driver).

I LOATH reproduction parts. If you go searching it is amazing how much good stuff is still out there, heck even NOS. It still shows up now and again, you need patience but good original will show up at a decent price on most parts. There are some you have no choice but most will show up if you give it some time.

Brian
Couldn't agree more on the crappy repro parts but up here in salt country, finding clean used parts is challenging when they are all down south. It also means a significant increase in cost for shipping BUT, I will still save original parts when I can.

Speaking of Mustangs, this is a job I took on last year at a shop I went to work for. The owner DROVE this car in and the shop tore it down to this point and then didn't have the courage/skill to rebuild it. It sat like this for 8 YEARS !! I came on part time and assembled it from aftermarket parts and sent it to paint a couple weeks ago.

Link to complete album 1965 Mustang - Back From The Dead Photos by Stillwaterchevs | Photobucket

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

That is a hell of a project, replacing all that stuff with repro, you have my respect that is for sure!

Brian
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM

i not sure if copy paste is working but , all the repop panel talk is one reason I did this ... its a millermatic 211 . well that and I really wanted a welder that could do whatever I needed around the house . I could have spent a lot less for sheet metal work ... but I didn't . this is what I did well yesterday

Last edited by mikesnyhere; 03-31-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: pic didnt paste rite
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
That is a hell of a project, replacing all that stuff with repro, you have my respect that is for sure!

Brian
Thanks, Brian....
The shop where it's at does major collision repair and I got to use one of the frame racks to set it up straight and square. Made a big differnce on getting it all together right. It was still a huge learning experience with lots of tram measuring and slicing/dicing of the panels to get them to fit. I gained confidence too that I put to use on my own '67 GTO basket case...
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

"lots of tram measuring and slicing and dicing" doesn't begin to describe what you did there.

Brian
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

what headers are those?? looking at alternatives for laker type on my Coupe, those fenderwheel style are something possibly (except for a small block)......
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
what headers are those?? looking at alternatives for laker type on my Coupe, those fenderwheel style are something possibly (except for a small block)......
You might want to look at the Patriot fenderwells for SBC. They're listed as "fat fendered Chevy", but will fit many applications. I'm using them on my Austin gasser. Here's an old picture:

Under $250 at Summit or Speedway.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Got my engine mounts welded in yesterday, and built the trans crossmember. Replaced the floor supports after having to cut the tunnel out for the T10 4 speed. So the engine and trans are sitting in the Falcon on mounts now.
Started installing 1" box tubing to support the new tunnel and setback firewall later. Wont put sheetmetal in until I figure out my clutch linkage, or hydraulics if I go that route.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,081 Posts
Got the Roadster back together in time to go to the local cruise night. It would not hit a lick. I had to drive the minivan. Bummer. Found the distributor cap is soaking wet so no big deal...........Next time.

John L
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Got the Roadster back together in time to go to the local cruise night. It would not hit a lick. I had to drive the minivan. Bummer. Found the distributor cap is soaking wet so no big deal...........Next time.

John L
Since you now have doors ,take a picture in front of a school ,I still don't have doors,LOL
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Since you now have doors ,take a picture in front of a school ,I still don't have doors,LOL
With summer coming we could revive that old thread........
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Today it really dawned on me that the torch is being passed to me so to speak. Seems like I am now the main body guy for our restorations. The last few I've been working on were driver restos but a top dollar show car we're working on needs a quarter and someone requested that I do it. Pretty happy about that. This means I'm going to be extra nice to the Guru cause without him there's no me so without directly saying it I will make sure he knows that he's appreciated and he's still a better tech than me.

Anyhow, gnawed off part of a quarter for a 55 Chevy and it's a hassle but I know once it's all cut out than I have some spot welds and easy clean up. The fun part will be making everything fit and I already see the upper rear body panel needs a slice cut into the rear corners and set back...on both sides!

So now I guess I'm gonna have to invest in more tools to bring to the table and for this job I'm thinking a leading kit(lead free!) Any ideas where I can get this stuff for cheap? I haven't done much lead at all.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John L
Bummer. I had the same happen more than once!

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.