Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,081 ·
finally the van side arrived at the shop. I handled cutting out the side on the van and the other guys tag teamed the chunk of steel by cutting out spot welds. One problem...Fords use weld bond/panel adhesive around the wheels on their vans and bed sides. So yeah, that's gonna be fun cutting that outer wheel house out(donor) and having to separate it without messing up the skin. Thank god the wheel house on the van needs to be pulled so it looks like I'll be tied up.:D I'll bring in my mini torch and have them cut around the wheel house(donor) and then heat up that wheel house lip while trying to separate it.

Also to follow up on something I said earlier. I mentioned loosening up the body bolts in the rear to release tension and let the body relax to square up the hole/rear door opening. It worked a little bit but I sped up the process with a huge sledge hammer and 4x4. Rather than gauging the results by looking at the door I did that but put more importance on looking at the mark where the mount used to be and how much I got back. It became unbunched. and the gap to the door got better.

anywho, the Cougar left today and the owner will be installing the head lights/taillights/ rear bumper/ door handles and then it gets new interior and subframed. So it will definitely come back in a month or so for a complimentary rub and I'll get pics of the interior. Got some pics of it today partially assembled and detailed. I'll upload those in a few days. Car turned out well for not being show quality. The team is clicking right now.
sometimes you can heat it up with a propane torch and the two pieces peel right apart but heat up the inner structure not the outer skin..might help to get it apart...

#4,082 ·
I never get to post in here cuz it'd be boring LOL 4 days of 'built 4 speed' a week :-D

Ive gotta get some pics of my familys cabin. Its on 200 acres in the Adirondack's. Im also doing a refit on the cabin of my Dad's sailboat. God I havent even pulled the TA out of the barn this year.

#4,083 ·
I put the Falcon back together today. New balancer, water pump, and fixed the pulley for now. I was able to weld up a die to put on my 12 ton press and press out the couple dents in it. It spins true, but cosmetically still needs to be replaced when I can find one cheap.
BOBCRMAN-Your advice on balancer dimensions was great! I took the old one, and my dial calipers along, and checked it all before I laid down my money. Salesman thought I was sorta anal, but I could care less. It saved me doing it again, and it went right on! Thanks!
I talked tp ASA today the pulley is $35 shipped if you want it,:thumbup:

#4,087 ·
We have an "Inductor" at work, DAMN does that thing work sweet for stuff like that. The INDUCTOR Induction Heating Tools for Automotive Professionals

You can remove a window with it, damn neat tool.

Brian
The shop were I work part time has one with coiled ends for heating seized nuts. No torch or heated surroundings, just the nut gets red hot. Neatest damn thing I've ever used for stuck nuts. Wish I could afford one...:eek:

I replaced the headliner and right door panel on the '52..

When I took the panel off, the sponge spacers were behind the panel, like I normally see. The other side had one on the outside, so I put them both out there. Now I know that is wrong and have to remove the left panel again to fix it.

I couldn't stand the butt-ugly grass green seat upholstery either so I picked up a $28 seat cover today. Keeps the Gray theme going...;)

#4,089 ·
I've been fixing up the ditch mower too and today replaced more of the cutting hammers. I had 6 in stock and put them on last Monday and got more today.
You can see the sharp edge of the 2 I replaced a couple days ago and the worn out ones next to them.

That pile of parts is $600...:eek: I have 7 left for stock again now. If the mower hits a large rock that the frost pushed out of the ground, it will shing off a hammer and sometimes shear off the lugs welded to the drum.

All ready to work again.

The red handled broom is for reference. The handle is 5 feet tall...yeah I know, I own a vehicle with a four letter name....:rolleyes:

Then I had to jockey cars around to get the '38 ready for Back To the 50's. I emptied the toy box and took a family photo...:D

#4,090 ·
Went for a short ride for gas today, as the expected rains didn't hit until a few minutes ago. All went extremely well. The car started a bit hard at the station, so I backed off the timing a few degrees when I got home, and now it hits right off hot or cold.
Was going to wash the dust off, but rains hit, so back in the canopy. But I did get some pics before I put it to bed! Had a neighbor follow me home from the gas station. He saw it going down the street, but didn't know I was building the Falcon, so wanted to see who owned it. Kinda funny when I pulled up and got out, he said, "I should have known it was going to your house!"
Here's the pics:

Wish the pass. side looked as good as the driver's side. I might not paint for years if it did!

#4,091 ·
Worked on one of my tractors today, (day ain't done yet). A little while ago I had to go to my mail box to get the mail . I left the sprinklers on all last night and the driveway got a little wet. I might have had them on a little too high. The wife took a video of my trip up our drive. Take a look.

BB :mwink::mwink:.

#4,093 ·
You should have had your neighbor to take a picture of you standing next to your Falcon (fastest bird on planet) with that big smile on your face ,I bet it was there.:D:thumbup: Good Job.
Thanks David!
I never think of those things! He actually took pics of the car with his cell phone, but I stepped out of the way.
Previous owner is a neighbor, and he came over to see his old car also. He was very excited to see the jeckyl-hyde change to his car. Kinda surprised me that he'd like it so much!

#4,094 ·
Installed the water pump and power steering and then had to fine tune the spacers for the alternator and compressor on the lathe. Also had to cut a slot in the reinforcing bracket I made.

The belt seems to be running true and a straight edge from the crank pulley for reference backs it up.

On to the AC system tomorrow.....

Attachments

#4,095 ·
Installed the water pump and power steering and then had to fine tune the spacers for the alternator and compressor on the lathe. Also had to cut a slot in the reinforcing bracket I made.

The belt seems to be running true and a straight edge from the crank pulley for reference backs it up.

On to the AC system tomorrow.....
Wow! That belt must be 8'-9' long!

#4,096 ·
Thanks David!
I never think of those things! He actually took pics of the car with his cell phone, but I stepped out of the way.
Previous owner is a neighbor, and he came over to see his old car also. He was very excited to see the jeckyl-hyde change to his car. Kinda surprised me that he'd like it so much!
The Falcon turned out great !! Got plans for paint eventually too ??

#4,098 ·
Jut got finished installing my first convertible top,was not as hard as I thought it would be, the replacement top has a glass rear window ,the old top had plastic ,I like the glass much better easier to see out .all I like is painting trim piece 2in by 4 ft will get that tomorrow,then put on final coat of primer and get in paint shop ,so I can put it up for sale.:thumbup:

#4,100 ·
Jut got finished installing my first convertible top,was not as hard as I thought it would be, the replacement top has a glass rear window ,the old top had plastic ,I like the glass much better easier to see out .all I like is painting trim piece 2in by 4 ft will get that tomorrow,then put on final coat of primer and get in paint shop ,so I can put it up for sale.:thumbup:
What did the top go on David? I've never done one either, but they look scary to install!