The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 205 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Thats really shaping up cant wait to see how it sits when the wells are cut...
dang cool lookin ride...
Thanks DBM! Hopefully my rear slicks will be done soon, and then I can make the cut needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

brought some parts to work and did the quarter in my garage. Getting close to paint!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Henry, isn't it funny the conditions we work under at home that we would be beaching about at work? LOL, I do the same thing, we need to fight the feeling and slow down because we really do better work with better conditions.

So today I had a crash course in carburetors, well, one carburetor.

How something so simple can drive me crazy I don't know, well I do know, because I don't know, I don't know crap about carburetors. So today trying to fix this damn thing I had it out of the car and apart 5 times, and still got nowhere. So a new carb kit is ordered and I will try that.

Brian

Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Henry, isn't it funny the conditions we work under at home that we would be beaching about at work? LOL, I do the same thing, we need to fight the feeling and slow down because we really do better work with better conditions.

So today I had a crash course in carburetors, well, one carburetor.

How something so simple can drive me crazy I don't know, well I do know, because I don't know, I don't know crap about carburetors. So today trying to fix this damn thing I had it out of the car and apart 5 times, and still got nowhere. So a new carb kit is ordered and I will try that.

Brian
I would think the problems with that little carb would be pretty much limited to dirt, float level. or accelerator pump. What is it doing?

John
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Well I am thinking it's what I was told when it first started, some sort of ignition break down. It "bucks" at low cruise it seems like it isn't getting any fuel.

Brian
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I would think the problems with that little carb would be pretty much limited to dirt, float level. or accelerator pump. What is it doing?

John
John you left out them possibility that this little carburetor is just rebelling. It's just fighting for it's chance to fulfill it's lifelong desire to be installed on a lawnmower like all it's brothers and sisters that came off the assembly line so many years ago. It might have felt cheated all these years that it wasn't part of the Briggs and Stratton group. Instead it had to suffer the indignities of being part of a Rambler!

You just never know.

BB
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Well I am thinking it's what I was told when it first started, some sort of ignition break down. It "bucks" at low cruise it seems like it isn't getting any fuel.

Brian
Brian. pop the distributor cap off and check your points gap. Make sure it's correct. Also see if the distributor shaft has any side to side movement. The shaft bushing might be worn excessively.
Things to eliminate.

BB
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, that is my next step. Being I now know nothing about ignition and carburetion (I knew LESS than nothing when I started) I am on a steep learning curve.

Brian
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

did some fitting to the front right fender extension last night. Still filing it down here and there to sit flush. Mocked up the lower front/rear valiances. The after market front valience fits fine but will have to elongate one of the holes. The rear valience will need a slice and weld to match the left quarter, which was replaced. So some time this week I will bring my welding helmet home to do that and weld up a few holes in the trunk area. I'm also gonna go fish out the rear bumper brackets and new aftermarket bumper cause I have a hunch I should mock it up all the way on the rear with bumpers and all. Hopefully I can also get this hood done and then contemplate working on the roof and quarter tops.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John
I am still not convinced that the accelerator pump is working properly even though I have had it all apart and everything looks fine. This carb's pump doesn't squirt fuel into the intake like every other carb I have ever seen. When you move the linkage on every other carb I know of while looking down into the carb you can see a very distinct SQUIRT of fuel going into the center of the bore. This one the fuel "oozes" out of that little tube you see in the center of the Venturi. That little tube coming up at an angle? It just "oozes" out of it. So I'm not sure that it is working properly. But I have blown out all the passages, I have inspected it to minds end, I see nothing wrong. But then again, I know nothing. I am just looking at it with the common sense God gave me (how much is anyones guess) and looking at the assembly manual (damn these things are nice to have!) with very good drawings and explanations of the the different circuits it all seems proper without actually seeing another carb and how it's accelerator pump would function.

Brian
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
I am still not convinced that the accelerator pump is working properly even though I have had it all apart and everything looks fine. This carb's pump doesn't squirt fuel into the intake like every other carb I have ever seen. When you move the linkage on every other carb I know of while looking down into the carb you can see a very distinct SQUIRT of fuel going into the center of the bore. This one the fuel "oozes" out of that little tube you see in the center of the Venturi. That little tube coming up at an angle? It just "oozes" out of it. So I'm not sure that it is working properly. But I have blown out all the passages, I have inspected it to minds end, I see nothing wrong. But then again, I know nothing. I am just looking at it with the common sense God gave me (how much is anyones guess) and looking at the assembly manual (damn these things are nice to have!) with very good drawings and explanations of the the different circuits it all seems proper without actually seeing another carb and how it's accelerator pump would function.

Brian
The stumble sounds like idle transfer slot may be partialy plugged is fairly common with this gas we have to run now ,it will be white powdery kind of like soda ,Carfully take a strand of wire out of a stranded wire an clean it ,,DO NOT enlarge size of the slot ,, on the accelerator pump check the squirter transfer tube discharge bolsters or what yours are called in your kit, work,i use my torch cleaner wires or drill bits to clean these,also might want to check the cam arm spring adjustment on the accelerator pump arm it skould just touck at rest position <But move as soon as linkage is moved. hope this might help.

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 04-08-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

That is exactly what I though, but I did clean it, didn't actually put a wire thru it but it looks spotless and I blew air thru, seemed to be just fine. The accelerator pump is so darn strange. It doesn't work when the pump is pushed it is normally "pushed" down and when you hit the throttle the pump is allowed to return to relaxed position and that is when the fuel is pushed up that tube into the venturi, it doesn't "squirt" in at all.

Brian

Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Could it be possible the channel where the check ball slides has enough wear to let the fuel bypass and cause weak signal ,is this some thing that just started or did it just progressively get worse.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

What shape is the plunger cup in? That may well be your entire problem.

BB
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Every year weeds would grow, to bad the lawn doesn't grow like the weeds did here..
well Weeds nevermore

Garage is a one car, and hard to work in with shelving units on floor, hell it's hard to walk in. so..
old left over wood +framing=shelves

peg board

more shelves and iron pipe, for zee air tools, no?

ran wires to the green house and hot tub.. now have to run the wire for outlets and then have it hooked to panel

when I worked at a sub shop years ago.. they where getting remodele and where pitching stuff, I grabbed these

more to come..

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.