The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 207 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Installed a quartz clock in the old clock body from a 1950 Tatra , got tinted glass cut for a 1972 Tatra , water pump replacement on the 49 Nash .
Yeah , its been raining today !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Making the tap tighter can help a lot too. Make the new part bigger than the hole, then set the new part on top and scribe around the edge with a sharp awl. Grind (or trim with snips, depending on how much you are going and the part involved) the metal out to the scribe line and you then have a near flawless butt to weld. Sure is nice to see beautiful work like that repairing an original hood instead of sticking some Chinese junk on there.

Brian
Oh don't worry, the scoop seems to be China junk. Geez, I counted 8 layers of paint and primer on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I too polished stainless tonight. One of my friends had a piece of trunk trim for a 46 Ford that was kinked pretty badly. I straightened it, filed it and polished it for him. I would have posted a picture but did not think to take one before I started. The finished piece wouldn't mean much if you did not see it before I started. The 46 trim has a triple bead. I spent about 3 hours on it.

John L
That is a project of mine, I need to repair and polish the wheel opening mouldings for the Gran Sport. Tonight, under the house cleaning a drain.

Brian
Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I didn't take a before either. I guess I was in a hurry to see the end results,lol
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Well, I don't think you want to see a photo of me under the house cleaning a drain like I did yesterday, tonight it will be the friggin light switch in that bathroom.

But concerning my truck, yesterday I got a rear end I have been trying to get for over a year. I wanted a 55-57 Chevy passenger car rear for it being that is what it had when I bought it 40 years ago. A guy at work had this very nice truck with a beautiful dropped axle and one of these rears in it. He had a guy in town who apparently found it easier to swap out the drive train for a small block when he couldn't fix an oil leak in the 235. double
These parts were in his shop for two years. I made a deal with the guy who owned it and started going by the shop to pick up my axles. Well the guy is a hoarder, and the parts were under about 30 ft of crap, NO KIDDING, there was 30 feet between the parts and where you could stand in the shop, no kidding, you couldn't even SEE this 235 six, a rear end, a front axle and four springs, you couldn't even see them! I went over there every few days for months trying to light a fire to get these darn parts. This was over a year ago when I was doing it. Yesterday I come to work and there are the parts! So I got my rear end, and the cool part is it's a 57 which is better than the 55-56 which have smaller bearings and the gears are different. I have a set of NORS 4:10 gears at home for this rearend, cool!

The front axle is a sweet dropped axle, the guy at work who is also building one of these trucks lucked out! And the funny part is, he didn't even know what a dropped axle was! This truck drove and rode so nice, it was such a shame he swapped out everything for a small block and mustang II front, it was really a cool truck before.

I also found a 49-54 passenger car front suspension yesterday! I found it by a total fluke, and it's cheap, I love it!

Just collecting right now, can't wait to get it on it soon!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	73057  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I got nothing.. I fell in the tub the other day and haven't been able to turn my neck. till today.. and it's still sore as all get out..
I did order new gaskets for my indy spoiler to stop the trunk leak..
I figure at 2.50 each it's better to have them on hand and it just be loose.. than start it and have to leave it waiting on a 5 dollar part..
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,242 Posts
Congrats on the rear Brian. Do you know what ratio is in it? If you are going to change it for 4:10 you probably ought to find a 5 speed for it. That is an awfully low gear.

John L
Old 04-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Congrats on the rear Brian. Do you know what ratio is in it? If you are going to change it for 4:10 you probably ought to find a 5 speed for it. That is an awfully low gear.

John L
I don't know what gears it has, I haven't gotten into it. I probably won't run the 4:10's unless I put an overdrive. I don't plan on having anything on the car newer than 1955 (the 57 axle looks exactly the same) so I won't be running a 5 speed, at least that is how I see it now. I could fake it maybe.

I know one thing just looking at that axle housing fired up a bunch of old memories. I remember pulling that third member out when I was about 17.

Brian
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
I don't know what gears it has, I haven't gotten into it. I probably won't run the 4:10's unless I put an overdrive. I don't plan on having anything on the car newer than 1955 (the 57 axle looks exactly the same) so I won't be running a 5 speed, at least that is how I see it now. I could fake it maybe.

I know one thing just looking at that axle housing fired up a bunch of old memories. I remember pulling that third member out when I was about 17.

Brian
I am really excited to see you startmthe truck. Following along as you installed the top on the Buick was one of my favorite threads.

What you are wanting to do is basicly what I tried to do but I tried to stay early 60's or older. I have a new Holly carb on the flathead and snuck in the s-10 truck 5 speed. I recently bought the 55 Buick WCFB carb to replace the Holly but have not done it yet.

I do think the S-10 shifter is probably close to where the origional granny gear trans shifter would have been and you could probably camouflage it by welding an origional shifter to the 5 speed stub.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Just stick a white four speed shifter ball on it and no one will know the difference.
BB
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

I could easily make a shifter to look period, I am talking even under the truck looking vintage. I am a nut on themes, I don't even like to fake it, I WANT it to be vintage all the way, every nut and bolt. I hope to do a lot of the work with the torch too.

I love using NOS and NORS parts and really getting the feeling of the times. I will even listen to music of the times while working on a project, I just love getting into it.

Brian
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am really excited to see you starting the truck.
I am too John, that thing runs thru my blood. I can't wait to re-create some of the photos of me working on it at 16, that will be a gas.

Brian
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
I could easily make a shifter to look period, I am talking even under the truck looking vintage. I am a nut on themes, I don't even like to fake it, I WANT it to be vintage all the way, every nut and bolt. I hope to do a lot of the work with the torch too.

I love using NOS and NORS parts and really getting the feeling of the times. I will even listen to music of the times while working on a project, I just love getting into it.

Brian
I understand that completely! Why, I'm still wearing the same underwear I had in the 60's! ( Davy Crockett!)

BB
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Just stick a white four speed shifter ball on it and no one will know the difference.
BB
didn't they use pool balls back then.. I remember all my dads junk having a drilled pool ball. number depended on car colour..
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Brian - in some ways you remind me of me! You are building a truck to be as it would have been in 1955, rather than incorporating all the latest & greatest stuff. No Billet super-dooper everything, no power seats, windows, locks no airbags, no MII susp etc.

Its all about being different from the pack

That is the reason why I refuse to do paint/bodywork, interiors etc on my cars - purely because everyone else DOES care about that stuff! "Everyone else" has gaps aligned, 739 coats of paint, and spends all day using Mothers or Meguiars. I never wash mine and they sit outside in the rain. The Henway now has all the paint on the roof jumping ship in sheets, and the bondo in the RF fender is falling out. My 57 Chev is a friendly car- waves at everyone, and has $20.00 seatcovers on the original (stuffing coming out) seats!

"Everyone else" has chrome & billet under the hood. I took that stuff off and replaced it with chipped and greasy original-looking valve covers etc.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.