The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 210 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I just came across glove box and what not the other day, been boxed up for years! I remember having a perfect glovebox door I got out of a big truck at the wrecking yard. I send it out for plating and it came back stainless and dented. I told the guy this isn't mine and he said there were no others in the system that had to be mine. Yeah some jerk who works for you has my glove box door in his truck! Never did get it back. Grrrrrr

Brian
Reminds me of a hydraulic pump I had sent out for rebuild when I was a maintenence supervisor. The one that came back had different port sizes than the one we sent out. Rebuilder insisted that it was ours. I had a very heated discussion with our warehouse which I insisted be passed on to the rebuilder. I think I ended up driving up to the warehouse to explain this myself. It was for a critical piece of equipment at the surface coal mine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

John

For some reason I cant post a pic LOL it says to contact the administrator LOL

Any way its just snow and gray clouds here and more snow coming!!!

Nice picsGreat looking house!

Jester
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,055 Posts
Unfortunately I have heard these stories many times, especially with chrome plating. Any company that will allow this to happen has a thief for an empolyee.

Brian, the stainless steel should actually be great once you get it straight and polished. Even if you have to cut an access whole on the back side to push it out you can weld it back in and no one will ever know.

John L.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
John

For some reason I cant post a pic LOL it says to contact the administrator LOL

Any way its just snow and gray clouds here and more snow coming!!!

Nice picsGreat looking house!

Jester
I truly feel for you guys in the path of the storm. I know we have kidded you pretty badly but I know how thankful I am to see some pretty weather. One of the really cool things about living in Washington State was the summers. In the area I lived in we only had about 3 months of summer and everyone really made the most of it. There was something going on all the time. Then in October the rain came and you waited another 9 months for summer to come back. I relly love the seasons we have here.

Hang in there. I promise summer is indeed coming.

John
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

John
I lived in BooneVille Tennessee years ago It was great 1 of My sons and 1 of my daughters are living down there now! The wife and I go down and visit every few months! The wife and I were in Alabama a couple of months (JAN.) ago visiting my other son it was like spring there then LOL But the smell from the Chicken ranches was a Killer LOL

Jester
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
John
I lived in BooneVille Tennessee years ago It was great 1 of My sons and 1 of my daughters are living down there now! The wife and I go down and visit every few months! The wife and I were in Alabama a couple of months (JAN.) ago visiting my other son it was like spring there then LOL But the smell from the Chicken ranches was a Killer LOL

Jester
That is a pretty area. My wife and I occasionally run Hwy 50 through there on our way to see the kids and grandlids. They live a little west of Nashville.

John
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Unfortunately I have heard these stories many times, especially with chrome plating. Any company that will allow this to happen has a thief for an empolyee.

Brian, the stainless steel should actually be great once you get it straight and polished. Even if you have to cut an access whole on the back side to push it out you can weld it back in and no one will ever know.

John L.
That is what I did so many years ago, drilled a few holes. I believe it's all done now, it's been so many years I forget. I had all kinds little things chromed and they are still in boxes rapped in newspaper!

Brian
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
That is what I did so many years ago, drilled a few holes. I believe it's all done now, it's been so many years I forget. I had all kinds little things chromed and they are still in boxes rapped in newspaper!

Brian
You realize we are getting tired of waiting for you to get started on that thing. Come on now, get up, go to the garage, start clearing a spot.............
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You realize we are getting tired of waiting for you to get started on that thing. Come on now, get up, go to the garage, start clearing a spot.............

LOL, me too. I have a cut up frame I am going to make a dolly for the cab out of so I can get it in the garage and finish up the top chop and section which is half done.

Brian
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

As Jester said. Gray clouds and spotty snow. Been that way this week. Got cabin fever and went to the toy box.

Decided to work on the Studebaker. Last week it was in the forties so I cut and covered interior side/ door panels. Simple black vinyl with a liteweight carpet bottom.

Today it was raining, thirty four deg. So
i decided to clean up the gas tank and add a deep rear sump to it.
Hit it with wire brush and grinder... Woops! Under the tar paper/crud was at least 50 holes.
So I dragged out a sheet of 20 ga. sheet metal and started on a 25x30" stock Stude size tank. Got top half bead rolled, marked for sender, cut/bent.
My work partner came in with some shorty headders that needed exhaust pipe flange work. So we cut off old flanges and blasted one. Arthur itis started whanging on me so I locked up and set in front of the tube.. then the Puter.

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 04-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
LOL, me too. I have a cut up frame I am going to make a dolly for the cab out of so I can get it in the garage and finish up the top chop and section which is half done.

Brian
Aren't you glad you don't have to find some one to finish the body work? I'll bet you are ready to get a little dirt under your fingernails anyway.

Hey speaking of fingernails. Is there any type of gloves you guys use that reducer will not attack. I use the nitrile gloves but by the time I have cleaned the gun they are pretty well gone. Is there a better way?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

John L.
John, you just reminded me of one, one that I went to court over. First time I ever stood in a court room, I was about 25. A friend was building his 65 Vette in my shop and had spent many hours fitting the bumpers to the body. If you aren't familer with these cars the bumper bolts to the brackets which is behind the body sandwiching the fiberglass in between. He had cut the brackets from the back of the bumpers and re-welded them after fitting them to perfection to the body. We marked the brackets with a small hole. Sure enough one of them came back that wasn't his and fit like crap. We had made it very clear to the driver what kind of build this was and how important it was do a good job on them. The minute I told the driver the next day when he stopped by he handed me my check back! He had kept it in the truck because he thought there might be a problem. A few months later I got a notice to appear in court. My buddy put together a great presentation with a poster board with pictures of the cars restoration (frame was all done) and we brought along one of his bumpers and one from my Vette that I had done by someone else. We got a woman judge and she was very interested in his Vette and wanted to see the bumpers and she eyed down them, it was pretty cool. She asked him if he thought this was good quality and he said yes it was "street" quality. The judge was a pretty lady and she wrinkled her nose up and with this higher voice than she normally spoke said "On a Corvette?" LOLOL, We won the case, done deal. He then had to fit that one bumper and have them all re-plated.

Brian
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Aren't you glad you don't have to find some one to finish the body work? I'll bet you are ready to get a little dirt under your fingernails anyway.

Hey speaking of fingernails. Is there any type of gloves you guys use that reducer will not attack. I use the nitrile gloves but by the time I have cleaned the gun they are pretty well gone. Is there a better way?
Yep, I am ready (I think). That is what I use and just change them often.

Brian
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
John, you just reminded me of one, one that I went to court over. First time I ever stood in a court room, I was about 25. A friend was building his 65 Vette in my shop and had spent many hours fitting the bumpers to the body. If you aren't familer with these cars the bumper bolts to the brackets which is behind the body sandwiching the fiberglass in between. He had cut the brackets from the back of the bumpers and re-welded them after fitting them to perfection to the body. We marked the brackets with a small hole. Sure enough one of them came back that wasn't his and fit like crap. We had made it very clear to the driver what kind of build this was and how important it was do a good job on them. The minute I told the driver the next day when he stopped by he handed me my check back! He had kept it in the truck because he thought there might be a problem. A few months later I got a notice to appear in court. My buddy put together a great presentation with a poster board with pictures of the cars restoration (frame was all done) and we brought along one of his bumpers and one from my Vette that I had done by someone else. We got a woman judge and she was very interested in his Vette and wanted to see the bumpers and she eyed down them, it was pretty cool. She asked him if he thought this was good quality and he said yes it was "street" quality. The judge was a pretty lady and she wrinkled her nose up and with this higher voice than she normally spoke said "On a Corvette?" LOLOL, We won the case, done deal. He then had to fit that one bumper and have them all re-plated.

Brian
It is so sad that people have to go through that. At least you won. It doesn't always turn out that way. Justice can be elusive.

John
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:

I haven't found any and my hands and fingers crack really bad And are pain full LOL When I was young it wasn't bad but with age the reducers and thinners tear em up!

Jester

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.