The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 212 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnyhere View Post
ok one more . you know the music from late 50's I know most of these songs , and still like them a lot ....coulnt you just see some cuffed 501's with some chuck taylors in this one !
I think it's great that you're not changing the truck! There's tons of them that are modified and customized, but not many that retain the original look!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docc View Post
I repaired or tried a repair on an old tank..needs to be welded on seam and bracket.. Better though..I found an NOS tank for $200..so..needed some minor alterations for gas line and mounting.. Tomorrow it goes in..
Glad I have bags..so I could raise it..enough to not need jack stands..
Love the Stude! Probably the best years Studebaker ever built!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnyhere View Post
I have already filled my new workbench with stuff , work in progress . got my headlight relays working , and remembered the talk about period correct , listening to the oldies music and took this pic . not sure how old the sun equipment is but anolog gauges look the part ... playing with camera
I have one of those old Sun tools I need to get it out and fix it, maybe I can get back to my Rambler and figure out what's wrong with it. Nothing like working on the old cars with the old tools. Yep, been running my generator and drum brakes and they sure seem to work just fine just like the 50 years before I got the car for the last owners. Somethings just don't need changing. It all depends on the owners expectations. With me, on that car, it's just fine. On the Gran Sport where I was regularly kicking the crap out of it on the road and track, it got discs. Every car is different and it depends on the owners expectations and needs.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
mikesnyhere (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docc View Post
I repaired or tried a repair on an old tank..needs to be welded on seam and bracket.. Better though..I found an NOS tank for $200..so..needed some minor alterations for gas line and mounting.. Tomorrow it goes in..
Glad I have bags..so I could raise it..enough to not need jack stands..
Oh yeah, Drooool, that is one of the most beautiful cars ever. And years ahead of it's time in styling, it's basically a late 60's "Pony" car, way ahead it's time.

Brian
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

early 50s,cool car
Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

I was planning to relax after church this morning, but a few buddies stopped by to see the progress on the Falcon. After explaining how I was planning to make the frontend pivot forward and then tilt, they left. I started playing with some metal, and the next thing I knew I was cutting and fabbing the pivot and tilt.
I made a bar with holes 3" apart, then cut and drilled a triangle plate. I welded a 1/2" nut to one end of the bar and used a bumper bracket hole in the frame to attach the other end. Bolted the triangle plate to the bar, and began tacking 3/4" EMT from the frontend framework to the triangle plate. In a few minutes I had it all lightly tacked and ready for a test.

I called my neighbor over to help me tilt it, so as not to break any tack welds. It worked great, so we unbolted it and set it aside. I can go over and permanently weld everything, plus add some gusset plates at strategic areas to reinforce it now. I've been sorta dreading the tilt part, and it went together so easy I'm a bit surprised!
Another friend is bending me up a lower pan to fill in the area originally covered by the front bumper, so I can run without one and still have the area under the grille look decent. Should have that next week, so I can finish up the front sheetmetal!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,093 Posts
I am having a difficult time understanding the geometry from the close up picture but am glad it has worked out for you.

John L
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I am having a difficult time understanding the geometry from the close up picture but am glad it has worked out for you.

John L
The bolt on the right side of the picture is one end of a flat bar. The triangle with tubes connected to it is bolted to the other end of the same bar through a welded nut. When you lift on the nose of the car the bar flops over forward about 6". The two holes are 3" apart, so the 180 degree flop gives me 6".
After it flops forward the bar rests against the end of the frame, and then continues to let the triangle piece tilt the frontend up. The bolt with the jam nut is just there because I didn't have a short enough 1/2" bolt, so threw a nut on it to keep it from going too deep.
Hope that makes sense John?

Here's a crude little drawing I did for myself to visualise what I wanted to make:

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-14-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

Was another nasty cold drizzley day today.. Went out to the toy box and tried to finish up the new fuel tank for the Studebaker.
25"x30"x6" deep. Bead rolled three stiffners in the top. Four in the bottom. A relief in the top for the sender. Fabbed three internal baffels. Cut sender hole and welded in nut plate. Cut fill tube hole and outlet hole. Gotta remember where I put the box of bulkhead fittings, so I can finish outlet.

Next will be welding up the seams and pressure check.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Nothing very exciting today. After some razzing by others, I decided to actually DO something about the fact that I have a 2400 sq ft shop and so much junk in it that I cannot get even a single car into it!

B'gosh - there is actually a floor under that corner!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

No hot rod work, my daughters track meet and then I went to put the new window motor in my wife's drivers door and found that the motor I bought a month ago and now finally got to it was wrong,

Sooooooo, I will be back at the store tomorrow to get the correct one. Went out to work on the Rambler and found it is running perfect, great an intermittent problem. I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it goes, along with some tools to test a few things when it fails on me.

Brian

Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I have never been happy with the 390 Holly on the flathead and bought a '55 Buick Carter WCFB carb back in the winter from one of the fellows on the Ford Barn Forum. Wow. Wahoo. It is a sweet little carb. This is be best the little car has ever run. I guess you guys can tell I am excited huh?

John

Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Got my brake booster master cylinder and brake lines installed brake pedal hooked up ,finished all under dash wiring ,got Bulkhead for wiring installed in firewall,all wiring complete Exept Headligkt and turn signals ,,No fenders or Grill,,,BUT I didn't take any pictures so I guess it don't count LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Got my brake booster master cylinder and brake lines installed brake pedal hooked up ,finished all under dash wiring ,got Bulkhead for wiring installed in firewall,all wiring complete Exept Headligkt and turn signals ,,No fenders or Grill,,,BUT I didn't take any pictures so I guess it don't count LOL
LOL We will count it if you promise you really did it.

John L
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Got a late start. Cut out re-inforcement ring for fuel sender unit. Spot welded it inside tank. Marked/drilled the screw holes. BROKE a 8-32 tap off in the next to last hole. Even with surface both sides.

Decided to take frustration out on a carb.. Put a rebuild kit in it and repaired an arm on it..

Back to the d@m tap. Used the plasma cutter to blow it out of the hole. Then salvaged the threads with a 8-32 bottom tap.

Installed a bulkhead fitting for outlet in tank. Drag car with bottom outlet. Had to press a 3/8" deep sump around the hole with a 1/18" socket, a three in. OD. piece of pipe and a three lb. hammer. Then cut off excess fitting material standing tall inside tank. Now level with bottom of tank.

Fitted the two halves of the tank together. Weld them up tomorrow mAYBE..

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.