The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 217 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #3241 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: maine
Posts: 87
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
engine issue

This weekend was the first warm sunny weekend we've had here in maine so I spent most of it out raking, sweeping and fertilizing the lawn. Went to Home depot and bought some bushes and planted them in the front yard. I also spent some time indexing my spark plugs on my streetrod. Ordered some indexing washers from Summit racing which came Friday.
I noticed as I took each plug out one of the plug wire rubber end was burned right through under the header. I run plug heat shields on the two outside plugs as they are very close to the headers. this one burned through the shield and rubber boot. these are straight plug boots so I had some parts left over from the plug wire kit and made a new 90deg boot and slide the heat shield on as far as possible.
The engine is a 350 sbc with modified double hump heads. I use block hugger headers on the coupe. I am wondering if any body else has had this issue and is there a better header to use that has a different bend on the two outside tubes that allow more spark plug room. I think my headers are Headman but I can't remember. any ideas? SC

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #3242 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM
1971BB427's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,449
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 11
Thanked 215 Times in 186 Posts
Ground the welds on my rear wheelwell radius and flares. Then gave the joints a quick swipe with Duraglass. Finally got around to climbing under the rear and welding my spring perches in solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3243 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
A few muscle cars & a Corvair
 

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 440
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 48
Thanked 205 Times in 168 Posts
Made provisions for seat belts in the '38 but the 2 center brackets will be exposed and they were raw steel so I had to stop to let the paint dry. Came in for supper and couldn't get my old butt up again.... Actually, the paint won't be dry enough to handle till tomorrow. I'm still heating the shop with the cold weather and I turn it down to 40 unless I'm out there.

Back to work Mon thru Wed to try to finish up that Red Mustang. Probably won't work on my stuff again until Thursday. The paint outta be dry by then !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3244 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM
1971BB427's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,449
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 11
Thanked 215 Times in 186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Made provisions for seat belts in the '38 but the 2 center brackets will be exposed and they were raw steel so I had to stop to let the paint dry. Came in for supper and couldn't get my old butt up again.... Actually, the paint won't be dry enough to handle till tomorrow. I'm still heating the shop with the cold weather and I turn it down to 40 unless I'm out there.

Back to work Mon thru Wed to try to finish up that Red Mustang. Probably won't work on my stuff again until Thursday. The paint outta be dry by then !!
I know what you mean! The Duraglass I mixed up and spread today took forever to set! I came in early, as my old bones don't like the cold either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3245 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,083
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 23
Thanked 257 Times in 241 Posts
Made up a couple of clamp on roller units so I can move the frame around. Started cleaning up gunk and rust gathered since 1959. Several areas that are no longer there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3246 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,028
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 935
Thanked 721 Times in 577 Posts
When I got home from the cruise in I went to put a timing light on the roadster and discovered I had no vacuum to it from the lower port on the Carter WCFB I just installed. Tomorrow I am going to drill and tap a vacuum port in the intake and move the vacuum line from the distributor to it. Will post pictures tomorrow.

I am so glad I woke up this morning. It is really good to be alive.

John L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3247 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Semper Gumby
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 332
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 134
Thanked 120 Times in 97 Posts
Spent a few hours committing mass "weed-acide" with sprayer and etc. Gonna wait a couple of days and then mow again, we'll see if I can actually wind up with a decent lawn again.

Yesterday was trimming hedges and burning the cuttings in my neighbor's burn pile. (Oh my aching everything when I got up this morning!)

Wife went into the travel trailer today - and now I'm in the dog house! There was mold on a wall and in the fridge, so tomorrow will be cleaning the inside of the trailer., You know - THAT trailer - the one that I promised would be stored in my heated shop for the winter so there would be no mold! Yep - THAT one. The one that sat out in the driveway in the non-stop rain all winter, so that the 100% humidity and lack of heat ....

(sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3248 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 9,999
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,141
Thanked 491 Times in 365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Spent a few hours committing mass "weed-acide" with sprayer and etc. Gonna wait a couple of days and then mow again, we'll see if I can actually wind up with a decent lawn again.

Yesterday was trimming hedges and burning the cuttings in my neighbor's burn pile. (Oh my aching everything when I got up this morning!)

Wife went into the travel trailer today - and now I'm in the dog house! There was mold on a wall and in the fridge, so tomorrow will be cleaning the inside of the trailer., You know - THAT trailer - the one that I promised would be stored in my heated shop for the winter so there would be no mold! Yep - THAT one. The one that sat out in the driveway in the non-stop rain all winter, so that the 100% humidity and lack of heat ....

(sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3249 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 761
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 310
Thanked 239 Times in 209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
This weekend was the first warm sunny weekend we've had here in maine so I spent most of it out raking, sweeping and fertilizing the lawn. Went to Home depot and bought some bushes and planted them in the front yard. I also spent some time indexing my spark plugs on my streetrod. Ordered some indexing washers from Summit racing which came Friday.
I noticed as I took each plug out one of the plug wire rubber end was burned right through under the header. I run plug heat shields on the two outside plugs as they are very close to the headers. this one burned through the shield and rubber boot. these are straight plug boots so I had some parts left over from the plug wire kit and made a new 90deg boot and slide the heat shield on as far as possible.
The engine is a 350 sbc with modified double hump heads. I use block hugger headers on the coupe. I am wondering if any body else has had this issue and is there a better header to use that has a different bend on the two outside tubes that allow more spark plug room. I think my headers are Headman but I can't remember. any ideas? SC
I had the same problem when I had 461 heads on my z28 I had to use Accel shorty header plugs gives about an extra inch room ,I would give you the number but I have Trick flow angle plug heads now and they use different plugs,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3250 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
mikesnyhere's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
When I got home from the cruise in I went to put a timing light on the roadster and discovered I had no vacuum to it from the lower port on the Carter WCFB I just installed. Tomorrow I am going to drill and tap a vacuum port in the intake and move the vacuum line from the distributor to it. Will post pictures tomorrow.

I am so glad I woke up this morning. It is really good to be alive.

John L
that is a great quote ! I wont forget . I am glad we all woke up today ! I have nearly got my first ever patch panels done !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3251 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 61
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Got out and fabbed up the rear wheelwells today. I like the fab work, but the grinding and cutting afterwards is painful! (literally!) Myglove took most the abuse from cutoff wheels, but they got through a couple times too!
]
Get on down to the local welding supply store and get a pair of TIG welding gloves. Available in any size to fit even big paws like mine. You'll wonder how you got along without them. Allan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3252 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 61
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
When I got home from the cruise in I went to put a timing light on the roadster and discovered I had no vacuum to it from the lower port on the Carter WCFB I just installed. Tomorrow I am going to drill and tap a vacuum port in the intake and move the vacuum line from the distributor to it. Will post pictures tomorrow.

I am so glad I woke up this morning. It is really good to be alive.

John L
John, Years ago, I had to drill out the ported vacuum port in a Q-jet that had plugged up from years of sitting. A blow gun did not unplug it during the re-build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3253 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,083
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 23
Thanked 257 Times in 241 Posts
I got the dirtiest I've been in a long time. Makita wire brush and a 7" grinder. Rampant rust!! Repaired/replaced about 4 ft. of frame on drivers side. Top Hat style frame and the bottom of the box is pin holed badly. Replaced the original 16 ga. with some 12 ga. Got the patterns cut and some welding done. Ladder bar crossmember tacked in. Took a looong shower..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3254 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Too Many Projects's Avatar
A few muscle cars & a Corvair
 

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 440
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 48
Thanked 205 Times in 168 Posts
Still making slow progress on the Mustang at work. The last box of parts I needed to hold the fuel and brake lines came last week. I have the underside pretty well wrapped up.







I realized when I took the above pic that I didn't have the axle vent hose installed, so I did that and took this pic.



Found the horns at the bottom of the parts box and had to run them thru the blast cabinet. I couldn't put them back on like that. I'll have to shoot some paint on the radiator too.





Engine bay is done too. Getting a battery tomorrow. Add water, gas and fire it up.....hopefully. I've never heard it run....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3255 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,028
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 935
Thanked 721 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
John, Years ago, I had to drill out the ported vacuum port in a Q-jet that had plugged up from years of sitting. A blow gun did not unplug it during the re-build.
This was really strange. The port I now have plugged does not go through to the bottom of the ventures as best as I can tell. I drilled and tapped a fitting to the intake plenum. One of my buddies has a timing light that is programable to tell you how many degrees you are advanced without having to calibrate the harmonic balancer.

I am going to take the weights off the distributor so it will go full advanced at idle and set it for 20 degrees. Then I can put the weights back on and see where it ends up at idle without vacuum. Thirdly I want check it with vacuum connected and see what I have at idle. I can also verify that my advance is all in around 2000 rpm's. This should give a good picture of what the SBC distributor is doing in the flathead.


Here is the vacuum port I drilled and tapped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



« Come On Man! | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (1 members and 5 guests)
TucsonJay
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 11 02-05-2014 05:31 AM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.