The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 218 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
Get on down to the local welding supply store and get a pair of TIG welding gloves. Available in any size to fit even big paws like mine. You'll wonder how you got along without them. Allan
I have two pairs, and can't hardly wear them. They are so stiff and bulky feeling! They would definitely stop the cutting discs from getting through, but too hard to work in for me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Still making slow progress on the Mustang at work. The last box of parts I needed to hold the fuel and brake lines came last week. I have the underside pretty well wrapped up.
That sure looks familiar! Looks a lot like the underside of my Falcon before I started changing the frame and crossmembers. Hope mine looks as clean when it's done!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

I banged out the yard work quickly, considering the back grass was getting pretty long! Then I ran out to my buddy's place to get the steering arm, and he had welded the tabs on backwards. So we cut them off again and welded them back on. His big old Miller 210 really penetrates this thick metal!
Got home and made up the spacers to locate the arm around the kingpin area, and the UPS guy showed up with my last DD to spline union! So I bolted up the steering arm, and cut my drag link to length, and welded the other bung on. Then I made up the last section of DD shaft and put the joint on it. The steering is finished!

Plenty of clearance on the front of the pan, and the .120 wall tube is massive looking! Shouldn't have any flex at all in this 40" long drag link! It's darn near dead level too, so no bump steer problems!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
That sure looks familiar! Looks a lot like the underside of my Falcon before I started changing the frame and crossmembers. Hope mine looks as clean when it's done!
The Mustang was based on a Falcon. They are very similar under the sheet metal.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
I have two pairs, and can't hardly wear them. They are so stiff and bulky feeling! They would definitely stop the cutting discs from getting through, but too hard to work in for me.
For cut-off wheel, grinding and plasma, I wear unlined pig skin gloves. They are thin and flexible but the sparks bounce off... They save MY skin....
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
This was really strange. The port I now have plugged does not go through to the bottom of the ventures as best as I can tell. I drilled and tapped a fitting to the intake plenum. One of my buddies has a timing light that is programable to tell you how many degrees you are advanced without having to calibrate the harmonic balancer.

I am going to take the weights off the distributor so it will go full advanced at idle and set it for 20 degrees. Then I can put the weights back on and see where it ends up at idle without vacuum. Thirdly I want check it with vacuum connected and see what I have at idle. I can also verify that my advance is all in around 2000 rpm's. This should give a good picture of what the SBC distributor is doing in the flathead.

Here is the vacuum port I drilled and tapped.

John if you have not got your car fixed ,I have a aluminum 1" plate spacer similar to NOS plate with vacumn port alreagy in it ,does your engine run spark or port vacumn, I have 3 or 4 of these plates ,I will bring it to you if you need it NO charge, I am waiting on UPS to deliver parts ,so im free tomorrow,
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
John if you have not got your car fixed ,I have a aluminum 1" plate spacer similar to NOS plate with vacumn port alreagy in it ,does your engine run spark or port vacumn, I have 3 or 4 of these plates ,I will bring it to you if you need it NO charge, I am waiting on UPS to deliver parts ,so im free tomorrow,
You don't know how much I appreciate your kind offer. I have already tapped the intake for the fitting so at this point I should be OK. The door is open if you end up in town but my vacuum issue is taken care off.

If you do end up in Chattanooga we will visit a couple of buddies garages and see what they are working on. Not to mention that hamburger.

John L
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
Get on down to the local welding supply store and get a pair of TIG welding gloves. Available in any size to fit even big paws like mine. You'll wonder how you got along without them. Allan
He ain't lying! They're great!

BB
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Are you sure that they are TIG gloves ? The ones I have are as soft as a good driving glove, and are not bulky at all. I can use them for nearly anything, even with my arthritic hands. My hands and fingers are so thick, I can't find a pair of regular welding gloves to fit me, and are way too bulky to get anything done in if I could find a pair to fit. As I already said the proper TIG gloves are very comfortable, to the point I sometimes forget that I have them on. Get back on down to the store and say that you want to see their TIG gloves. About $12.oo a pair. Allan
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Woke up to 25 degrees and sleet/snow so I got started late.

Grinding rust is getting old real quick. Replaced about 4 ft. of steel on the other frame rail. Sand blasted remainder. Fitted trans crossmember and drilled mount holes. Installed ladder bar crossmember, drilled/bolted mounts to frame and finish welded brackets. Painted primer up inside the middle frame rails.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,257 Posts
I put the carb back on the flathead with my new vacuum port. Was just finishing up when 496CHEVY3100 arrived. We had not met in person before so we grabbed a hamburger at the lake and kicked around a while. Here is a picture of David checking out Mickey Arp's T bucket at Mickey's garage. It has been a nice day.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Neat that you guys could get together and meet!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Changed things up today, and decided to go inside to interior. The backseat has been in the way, so I pulled it out and did some reworking. Pulled all the staples and hog rings, and got the sawzall out. I cut 4" off the top molded plastic frame, and 1" off each end. Then I cut all the excess foam off both areas and pulled the material back over and cut the excess off. Couldn't get enough off the top to get rid of the shoulder harness opening, but I'll have someone make me a couple tooled leather Chevy bowties, and put one over the hole, and the other over the same spot on the driver's side.
Changed things up today, and decided to go inside to interior. The backseat has been in the way, so I pulled it out and did some reworking. Pulled all the staples and hog rings, and got the sawzall out. I cut 4" off the top molded plastic frame, and 1" off each end. Then I cut all the excess foam off both areas and pulled the material back over and cut the excess off. Couldn't get enough off the top to get rid of the shoulder harness opening, but I'll have someone make me a couple tooled leather Chevy bowties, and put one over the hole, and the other over the same spot on the driver's side.

I'll also build a divider to the trunk area, so when I have them folded down for a cooler, it will close off the trunk from view.

I built four 2" spacer blocks as risers for the back mounting points on the seats to get them more vertical. Just cut them at an angle so they bolt to the frames, but extend back a little to match up with the old seat holes. Then bolted in the front buckets too.

Of course it all will come out again to finish the interior, but need to do this stuff at least twice for mockup.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

this week is the transition from normal temps to hot, and wasting some body filler adjusting to it. No fun today.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
Quote:
Neat that you guys could get together and meet!

Yes, very cool John and Dave. I got to meet Sam (OneMoreTime) today. He was driving thru the bay area on the way back up to Washington. We had a lunch over at a nearby burger joint and had a nice conversation, That's Sam!

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.