The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 22 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got the Vintage Air compressor & mount kit out of the box and bolted it on the engine to check clearance, etc. Hung the condenser off the firewall inside just to check the room & get an idea of where to put things. With the compressor on the right, the drv side of the motor sure looks out of balance if the alt. is mounted down low? Going to read through the V.A. directions again tonight. Come on weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Well, got a little short term project. I am going to do some fix up on my cousins daughters car while I am "storing" it for her. So today I took the door skin off to see the window regulator and what I needed to fix the window for her. I'll be painting a fender and the front bumper for her too.

Brian
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
Got the Vintage Air compressor & mount kit out of the box and bolted it on the engine to check clearance, etc. Hung the condenser off the firewall inside just to check the room & get an idea of where to put things. With the compressor on the right, the drv side of the motor sure looks out of balance if the alt. is mounted down low? Going to read through the V.A. directions again tonight. Come on weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sure hope that it was a misprint when you said you were hanging the condensor off the firewall. The condensor goes in front of the radiator and the evaporator goes in the cab.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm cleaning my tools after reassembling the rear brake system on my F350 - finishing yesterday afternoon. I think I had enough tools out to do a major overhaul (oops, I guess I did)

1 axle worth of Hawk LTS brakes
1 spindle nut socket - new
2 backing plates
2 sets of parking brake hardware
2 inner hub seals
2 rotors
2 calipers
1 inner hub bearing
1 quart Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic brake fluid
Many words not repeatable in mixed company

Those rotors(33# ea), hubs(12"), calipers(17#), axles(20#) and 18" wheel/tire combos(85#) are freaking heavy and my back is aching and my wallet is much thinner

Dave W
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
I sure hope that it was a misprint when you said you were hanging the condensor off the firewall. The condensor goes in front of the radiator and the evaporator goes in the cab.
You got me. Sorry! First AC job. Still figuring everything out! Yes, haven't touched the condenser as my radiator & shell are no where near close to being ready to mount yet. Evaporator, fan, heater core, etc. assy. is what I put inside. What can I say; I'm old, blind in one eye & can't see out of the other, deaf, dumb, and confined to a wheel chair! Well, maybe not that bad all at once but sometimes it sure feels like it!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
You got me. Sorry! First AC job. Still figuring everything out! Yes, haven't touched the condenser as my radiator & shell are no where near close to being ready to mount yet. Evaporator, fan, heater core, etc. assy. is what I put inside. What can I say; I'm old, blind in one eye & can't see out of the other, deaf, dumb, and confined to a wheel chair! Well, maybe not that bad all at once but sometimes it sure feels like it!

Hee Hee Hee. I figured that you knew better. BTW. Make sure that you mount that A/C compressor so that it gets plenty of belt contact. It takes a lot of power to turn those things. I have a MACS card, so I can tell you that. Mobile Air Conditioning Service trained and certified.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Hee Hee Hee. I figured that you knew better. BTW. Make sure that you mount that A/C compressor so that it gets plenty of belt contact. It takes a lot of power to turn those things. I have a MACS card, so I can tell you that. Mobile Air Conditioning Service trained and certified.
EXCELLENT! Guess who gets my questions when I get started . I'm old school (You don't run AC on a hotrod, but my better half says that's the only way she's going in the summer so...........). I've actually read quite a bit of stuff on doing the AC and even attended the Vintage Air class at the Indpls Good Guys this past year. I think I know what to put where, it's just the terminology gets in the way. I noticed the AC compressor has two belt grooves. I don't have to use both of them do I? It looks like the belt will have contact with at least 2/3 of the pulley, and it will be the only thing on it other than wp & crank. Thanks in advance, I know I'm going to have some basic level type questions but I will start a thread in AC or where ever it should be.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I have been cleaning And looking around the net for mods for my truck and son tbi trucks to save on fuel! Ran across something and you know me I'm like a dog with a bone I will run it to ground! Painting parts picking up part as we can afford them!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Got the Polara up on the trailer and everything ready to go to Texas in the morning. Also finished cleaning the base of the AFB that I had to replace to get it running. Will finish rebuilding that one when we get back.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

I'm working on finishing the other parts for this bike job... which was started four years ago, but put on hold. Glad to finally get back to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jag deatils 1278.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	62832  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
I'm working on finishing the other parts for this bike job... which was started four years ago, but put on hold. Glad to finally get back to it.

Cool Jay, Roak an Roall ya puke!

Brian
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

wiring

almost finished wiring the engine last night with the new wire harness. Head lights and fan are done, now on to the back of the car. sc
Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Painter delivered my Austin gasser this morning, and FedEx delivered the new M&H drag radials for it too! Just like Christmas, only better! Now comes the hard part of cleaning up 3 months of dust and dirt from all the bodywork I did! Then splicing, soldering, and heat shrinking all the wiring I cut to remove lights. etc.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Painter delivered my Austin gasser this morning, and FedEx delivered the new M&H drag radials for it too! Just like Christmas, only better! Now comes the hard part of cleaning up 3 months of dust and dirt from all the bodywork I did! Then splicing, soldering, and heat shrinking all the wiring I cut to remove lights. etc.
Can you post some pictures?

As a youngster I had two older friends who raced Austin gassers... (I helped build one of them). Eventually I owned a couple, that I unfortunately didn't complete. My cousin did completed one of the ones I had... with a 392!!! I still have a soft spot for them. :-)
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
Can you post some pictures?

As a youngster I had two older friends who raced Austin gassers... (I helped build one of them). Eventually I owned a couple, that I unfortunately didn't complete. My cousin did completed one of the ones I had... with a 392!!! I still have a soft spot for them. :-)
back up to post #313

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.