Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,421 ·
First day since I started on the truck that I did nothing on it. I got out there and cleaned up a little but didn't work on the truck at all. Tomorrow and the weekend, I hope to get the roof stripped and back on the cab!

Brian

#4,423 ·
I pulled the wheels off my car trailor ,replaced and packed wheel bearings and seals ,bought a set of Reece bearing buddies the steel caps have grease fittings in center ,got to last cap it is to big,i thought the hub night have ben reolaced so I took grease cap off of the other side it fits fine ,so the cap is wrong 1st piece I ever bought from Reece that was wrong exchange it tomorrow,:mad::mad:

#4,430 ·
sORR

Sorry deck not dock ,it is an 8x20 deck with railing ,pickets and steps only have to move it about 75 feet,
This sounds like something that should have a video camera rolling while you do it.

Funny chit happens when people do things like this.

Good luck with it.

#4,432 ·
After spending some time with my wonderful wife like a super lunch out with her I got out to the garage and stripped the paint off the roof. I am ready to get it back up there and finish up this chop. I was planning on using the extra top I have to lengthen this one but it is so darn rusty I am re-thinking this and may just lengthen it as I did 40 years ago the first time I chopped it.

But it's looking good anyway I look at it. I can get it up there and start my fun stuff!

Brian

#4,434 ·
Funny you should ask because I have bought both Jasco Premium and AirCraft stripper over the years both doing a fine job. But when I went to get this gallon I noticed that the Jasco was $26 and the Aircraft was $48! I figured this is old lacquer and not a real big deal so I went with the Jasco, did a damn good job, no complaints that's for sure. I may pickup a quart of the Air craft and do a test side by side. Goodness knows I am going to need more to strip the rest of the truck.

Brian

#4,435 ·
Funny you should ask because I have bought both Jasco Premium and AirCraft stripper over the years both doing a fine job. But when I went to get this gallon I noticed that the Jasco was $26 and the Aircraft was $48! I figured this is old lacquer and not a real big deal so I went with the Jasco, did a damn good job, no complaints that's for sure. I may pickup a quart of the Air craft and do a test side by side. Goodness knows I am going to need more to strip the rest of the truck.

Brian
Looking at your pictures it looked to me like it was really lifting it up well.

I did not get a lot of shop time today but I did finish my frame bracket and started another body mount. I still have to finish welding the one Tim made. Maybe I will wait and do that after I finish this one and do them both at the same time.

I wanted to finish the frame bracket before I put this Easy Grind wire on the welder just in case it has less tinsel strength. Also, I would like to butt weld 2 pieces of 18 gauge with both wires and test the grinding, cracking, and malleability characteristics of both. I will post those results when it happens.

John

#4,438 ·
Looking at your pictures it looked to me like it was really lifting it up well.

I did not get a lot of shop time today but I did finish my frame bracket and started another body mount. I still have to finish welding the one Tim made. Maybe I will wait and do that after I finish this one and do them both at the same time.

I wanted to finish the frame bracket before I put this Easy Grind wire on the welder just in case it has less tinsel strength. Also, I would like to butt weld 2 pieces of 18 gauge with both wires and test the grinding, cracking, and malleability characteristics of both. I will post those results when it happens.

John
Those braces are looking awesome!

Brian