The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 223 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cleaned up a little Schwinn stingray I picked up at a garage sale over the weekend.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

put on some rear billet hinges on the 55 Chevy I'm working. I don't understand why customers would pay so damn much for fricken hinges for crying out loud!
Sure they look cool but they're hinges! Lame instructions where the picture didn't even match the directions on where to put the shock mount and it comes with allen head decklid bolts...I want to just throw up! Didn't have an SAE allen set so I couldn't even mock up the decklid to see how it screwed up my allignment, which they always do! Also was planning on taping down the new rubber seals to see if I had to tweak the channels I welded in and from pushing on the lower rear body panel with porto power. So I finished the day by tweaking the tail light to fit perfectly into the quarter, and that's a bunch of time too. It was fun doing that but it takes time. In other news, the cougar I've been working on is jambed and ready for paint.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPin View Post
Cleaned up a little Schwinn stingray I picked up at a garage sale over the weekend.
What did you pay for that little Stingray? Those are getting some good money now.

I just about lived on one of those for a number of years.

I have a girls version that I painted a pink pearl (named the color "Jillie Pink" after my daughter and she still talks about it at 28) and have it all disassembled in a box out in storage.

From about 1968 thru 73 or so I LIVED Schwinn Stingrays OMG I still can remember every nut and bolt and screw on those bikes I LIVED them. Check out the photo of me on the jump, that bike is pin striped by a local striper who was my fathers friend. How do you like this, he tried so teach us how to stripe and we didn't take it seriously, kills me. This guy was a master, he would lay two stripes next to one an other walking down the length of the car and they looked flawless, his patterns on a hood were identical side to side. Geeez what a bone head I didn't listen to everything he had to say about this art.

Good times, good times. Thanks for the memory jog this morning.

Brian
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
yes. That was the inspiration for the build. Loved the car and his old Packard also. Used to see it at Detroit Dragway back in the day.

When I was 15, I bought a 60 Lark. It had a local fast car history and a room full of trophies. Originally a Paxton blown Stude engine then a small block Chevy. I bought the body, less engine ,trans and installed a nailhead Buick. Tons of fun! Blue and white candy stripe metalflake Nauga Hyde interior/ It's a shame all them Nauga's had to die!!
That sounds like my kinda car! It kills me to think of the opportunities I had like that, you did them, good for you. Mine is the straight axle Henry J dragster that I didn't buy for $150.

Brian
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I am ready to reassemble my wifes 1953 Schwinn Town and Country three wheeler after repaint PETTY Blue and Lexus white ,have been waiting on new wheels as original have some rust,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 Schwinn Town & country 001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	73703   Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 Schwinn Town & country 002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	73704  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

nice and love Brian's post on those kind of bikes. They really are cool looking and would be a fun restoration.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What did you pay for that little Stingray? Those are getting some good money now.

I just about lived on one of those for a number of years.

I have a girls version that I painted a pink pearl (named the color "Jillie Pink" after my daughter and she still talks about it at 28) and have it all disassembled in a box out in storage.

From about 1968 thru 73 or so I LIVED Schwinn Stingrays OMG I still can remember every nut and bolt and screw on those bikes I LIVED them. Check out the photo of me on the jump, that bike is pin striped by a local striper who was my fathers friend. How do you like this, he tried so teach us how to stripe and we didn't take it seriously, kills me. This guy was a master, he would lay two stripes next to one an other walking down the length of the car and they looked flawless, his patterns on a hood were identical side to side. Geeez what a bone head I didn't listen to everything he had to say about this art.

Good times, good times. Thanks for the memory jog this morning.

Brian
In a true hot rod style ,I noticed fenders removed ,
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

The Stingray came along a little late for me....I got my license in '68 and was driving a new Honda 350 Street Scrambler.
Neighbor kid had a 3 speed Stingray with the Hurst shifter on the top tube and a speedometer on the handle bars...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
The Stingray came along a little late for me....I got my license in '68 and was driving a new Honda 350 Street Scrambler.
Neighbor kid had a 3 speed Stingray with the Hurst shifter on the top tube and a speedometer on the handle bars...

You were Big Dog on a 305 scrambler. LOL .i had a cl 160 scrambler in 67 it was a 66 model ,later traded it in on a Dream touring I think around 1970 Top speed about 60 MPH ,these photos are file photos I guess you can tell I like Petty blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 honda scrambler cl 160.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	73709   Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Honda 305 Dream Touring.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	73710  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
You were Big Dog on a 305 scrambler. LOL .i had a cl 160 scrambler in 67 it was a 66 model ,later traded it in on a Dream touring I think around 1970 Top speed about 60 MPH ,these photos are file photos I guess you can tell I like Petty blue.
Not a 305........new for '68 350. 10,000 rpm redline. Owners manual said not to exceed 80% of capacity during break in. No prob.....10k rpm and 100 mph max meant it was at 8k and 80 mph during the first 500 miles....

Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
In a true hot rod style ,I noticed fenders removed ,
LOL, Being my bikes were all built from piles of parts outside a near by thrift store they never even existed. My parents would have never spent that kind of money for one of those bikes. They were "swap meet" builds.

I painted them all with rattle cans. The pin striped one was a true candy from a rattle can over a silver base! The one with me giving a peace sign in a wheelie was a red white and blue fade job, again, from rattle cans. It's the same bike as the candy one with pin stripes. I had stripped the frame with Jasco and didn't clean it properly. After painting it with the candy and having it pin striped I was washing it a few months later and the paint came off in sheets like a big decal. So it got disassembled nad painted the fade job.

Brian
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
LOL, Being my bikes were all built from piles of parts outside a near by thrift store they never even existed. My parents would have never spent that kind of money for one of those bikes. They were "swap meet" builds.

I painted them all with rattle cans. The pin striped one was a true candy from a rattle can over a silver base! The one with me giving a peace sign in a wheelie was a red white and blue fade job, again, from rattle cans. It's the same bike as the candy one with pin stripes. I had stripped the frame with Jasco and didn't clean it properly. After painting it with the candy and having it pin striped I was washing it a few months later and the paint came off in sheets like a big decal. So it got disassembled nad painted the fade job.

Brian
I had to pay for these ,my dad signed a note for me at the local bank to help establish my credit on the 160 ,I think my payments were about 18 per mo. that was a lot for me working after school,,my Dad only bought me (1) one car and 1 motorcycle that he paid for a 1941 Indian Chief motorcycle,,a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria I wont mention the color of the ford ,the Indian was military green.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
The bolt on caps in the floor are what you are looking for ,correct.
I have a bunch of the vintage torq thrust wheels. At one time I had a lot more of them than I do now. They did not put dates on the wheels. You can only guess when they were made, they changed the way the wheels were made. The earlier wheels had rounded spokes, not the pointed spokes. The pointed spokes showed up somewhere around 1964 or 65. The early pointed spoke wheels used different lug nuts than the later wheels. Some people had them redrilled to use the later style lugnets. The early lug nuts are the same as the lug nuts used ET uni-lug wheels. They repop the caps and spinners. The early caps won't work on the American wheel repops that are made oversees.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd View Post
I have a bunch of the vintage torq thrust wheels. At one time I had a lot more of them than I do now. They did not put dates on the wheels. You can only guess when they were made, they changed the way the wheels were made. The earlier wheels had rounded spokes, not the pointed spokes. The pointed spokes showed up somewhere around 1964 or 65. The early pointed spoke wheels used different lug nuts than the later wheels. Some people had them redrilled to use the later style lugnets. The early lug nuts are the same as the lug nuts used ET uni-lug wheels. They repop the caps and spinners. The early caps won't work on the American wheel repops that are made oversees.
The one set of 4 has the small lugs ,and I only have 10 ,cant find any to fit 1 of the 4 has a stamp looks to be in ink but it wont wipe off might have been stamped by dealer who sold them ,warranty or something,,I will try to get it to show up in photo ,the two extra wheels use the standard lugs a friend who deals with these say they were 69 or later ,I don't know how he knows the 4 early style have been on my 66 Chevelle since it was about a week old. also repops they sell here valve stem is is band of wheel not between spokes ,These are not dark or painted they just have a lot of Bondo dust on them,didnt take time to clean them up before photo .LOL

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-02-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd View Post
Do you have 2 15x10 x4.75 chevy bolt pattern,

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.