Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,483 ·
I semi finished another body mount tonight. Still needs to be ground. I will have to get the other inner rocker made so I can get the spacing right before I weld it to the channel.

Shhhhhhh. Let's not say anything about the table cloth.........

I have an old friend, a mentor for that matter, gave me my very first afterschool job at his rod shop. His wife tells the story of when he got her grandmothers lace table cloth out and did a lace paint job with it! :pain:

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#4,486 ·
I worked 11 hours today and didn't plan on getting much done at all.....but I just couldn't sit and watch the game, I HAD to get out there, I do have a radio in the garage for goodness sakes.

So I got a couple of braces in so I can cut the front of the roof to lengthen it.

Guys, if you don't have a friction jack, get one. Damn this thing comes in handy for stuff like this.

ALC Keysco 77043 Monkey-On-A-Stick Jack Set: Automotive : Walmart.com

Brian

#4,490 ·
Something just hit me, being I am thinking about my truck every minute of the day these days. :drunk: I am cross measuring my roof and over and over I am proving it's square, but there is one part that isn't, one thing looks like the roof is twisted or something. Over and over I am measuring and coming back with the same thing. But what hit me was when I chopped this truck at 16 years old I had no idea how to cross measure! Didn't have a clue! LOL Now, the top was NOT chopped real nice that is for sure. The door gaps looked good, nobody ever noticed anything that I know of. But one windshield post was leaning more than the other! The windshield is two pieces remember, one was different than the other and couldn't have been swapped side for side! LOL Not only that, one door window frame was notched and leaning in while the other one wasn't! :drunk:

But it all worked, drove it thousands of miles and had a ball with a smile on my face.:D

Here I am now though, I am cross measuring and beating myself up getting it within an eighth inch or less now. :sweat:

Brian

#4,491 ·
Sometimes it's not about what other people see or notice....it's about what you know is there. I find myself looking at something over and over until I just can't live with it, and I change it. If I change something and never think about it after that, it usually means I'm happy with what I did. But if it constantly is on my mind, it's probably because I'm not fully satisfied with how I did it, so it has to be changed.
And the older I get, the less I want to do things twice.

#4,492 ·
I worked 11 hours today and didn't plan on getting much done at all.....but I just couldn't sit and watch the game, I HAD to get out there, I do have a radio in the garage for goodness sakes.

So I got a couple of braces in so I can cut the front of the roof to lengthen it.

Guys, if you don't have a friction jack, get one. Damn this thing comes in handy for stuff like this.

Brian
Here it is cheaper
BB :thumbup::thumbup:
Keysco 77043 Monkey on the Stick Jack Set - 4-Pc

#4,493 ·

Brian
love the friction jack. Also great for header panels, fenders on Durangos/Escalades, radiator supports, etc. Handy indeed. We've been without one for a couple months but luckily haven't needed one in that time span. BTW, what's with the patch in the rear? Did you change your mind on how much you're gonna cut?

#4,496 ·
love the friction jack. Also great for header panels, fenders on Durangos/Escalades, radiator supports, etc. Handy indeed. We've been without one for a couple months but luckily haven't needed one in that time span. BTW, what's with the patch in the rear? Did you change your mind on how much you're gonna cut?
Yep, I unchopped it a half an inch, it's now 3.5 inches.

Brian

Reactions: tech69
#4,497 ·
Brian I have ben looking at articles on how to chop a AD pickup for a couple of years ,wanting to chop my 50 when I finish the 53 ..i have noticed your cuts are smoother than any I have seen and after the cut the fit is outstanding ,I guess when you enjoy what you are doing and have the ability and passion for the hobby ,your truck is what you come up with ,

a job WELL done, cant wait to see more :thumbup::thumbup:

David

#4,498 ·
Especially since you were warned LAST time....:rolleyes:

Why do our women put up with us autoholics....:confused:

Oh yeah, mine says I'm good with my hands...;)
Good with your what? :drunk: We need to have a talk :)

I want a double with cheese ,is that to much to ask ,LOL:D
Shoot yea. Some onion rings too.:thumbup:

Brian I have ben looking at articles on how to chop a AD pickup for a couple of years ,wanting to chop my 50 when I finish the 53 ..i have noticed your cuts are smoother than any I have seen and after the cut the fit is outstanding ,I guess when you enjoy what you are doing and have the ability and passion for the hobby ,your truck is what you come up with ,

David
Lordy Lordy, are you going to give him the big head.......:nono:

#4,499 ·

David
Thanks so much! I LOVE this stuff! And one thing I am surprised about most any time I do this stuff is how much I have learned in the collision industry on doing custom stuff. Just how to look at things, as an example, drilling out spot welds to replace a panel is common place in in the insurance industry. I find it very useful in custom work.

I am really enjoying this, I haven't done it in so long and it is a blast.

Brian