The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 226 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Well I got my inner fenders installed today and my bed put together about 4 hrs,had to tap threads on all holes and polish heads of bolt ,that was good for me ,I know you that do it every day this seems slow,but I will get there one day, the black under the fender wells is spray in bedliner to keep rocks from making Stars in my new paint
Hey ,that looks like a camaro MC, same thing I used in my ole plymouth

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Put a note taped to the inside of the windshield noting that it has no brakes. Sounds stupid but I HAVE seen it before! My brother had a mechanic get in a truck without a master cyl and run it into a fence! It can happen to most anyone, a little brain fart and WHAM.

Brian
Same thing happend to the mech next door I just happend to be outside and saw the whole thing ...he took down a section of fence and ended up in the parking lot next door ,good thing there wasnt any cars in it...
I changed my brake pads in my driveway (all four wheels) and forgot to pump them up to push the pistons back out ...I'll never do that again I almost took out my across the street nieghbors fencepulling out of the driveway with no brakes at all it took two or three pumps before they pushed out and stopped the car ...I had to go back in the house and change my shorts.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installed the dome light in my rambler yesterday while my grandson destroyed my yard

Ed
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
I am just too stupid for anything but a note right on the windshield in front of the steering wheel.

Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
I am just too stupid for anything but a note right on the windshield in front of the steering wheel.

Brian

There's a guy in our local Chevelle club who retired from a Navy positon as mechanic and then inspector. When he works on his cars, he goes thru a whole tablet of sticky notes. They are everywhere that needs attention and as he eliminates the work, he removes the note. THEN, he paints every nut and bolt with yellow marker....
Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

After one of our guys at work left some wheel lug nuts loose and the wheel fell off on the customers way home the boss created a list for going over the car similar to that and hung it by the alignment rack. I think it was used one day then things went back to the way they were.

I have a good friend who as a teenager was on a pit crew at Searspoint (now Infinon raceway) and left a wheel with the lug nuts loose.......he was black listed that's for sure! I am not even sure if they will let him in to the stands with a ticket 35 years later.

Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

I am just big on this being working with others it is SOOOOOO important to let everyone in on the secret. The other day I moved a car out of the say for a tow truck to gain access to another car. The engine was running in the car I moved and a guy came running up to me telling me to shut it off because it had no coolent. I asked him where the hell was the sign on the windshield? He said "I though the broken radiator was enough of a sign". COME ON NOW, we regularly have about 50 cars on the lot in every degree of damage and disassembly with everyone from the tech who worked on it to the 25 year old mother of twins receptionist moving them. You shouldn't have to do a friggin pressure test on the radiator to see if you can start it for goodness sakes! I have seen guys who removed the radiator themselves get in and drive it across the lot spewing transmission fluid all over the blacktop, it's just a damn good habit to put a sign I have found. I know I don't every time in my garage, I am just saying.........it's not a bad idea.

Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Notes to yourself, or others on the windshield are good reminders. I do it on my builds just because I'm old and forgetful. I started to take my last build for it's maiden voyage a couple years ago and remembered I hadn't put gear oil in the rearend yet! So now I have a list of things to do in the car, and check them off before the build is truly finished and ready to drive.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
drive it across the lot spewing transmission fluid all over the blacktop,
Brian
You HAD to dig that memory up, huh..

I worked at a service station in the early 70's and a customer that lived a couple blocks behind it was allowed in the service bays while we worked on his car. I changed his oil on a Saturday morning while BSing with him. After I lowered the car and kicked the pads, he got in, started it, the oil light went out and he backed out and left. A few seconds later I noticed a trail of oil leading out of my bay. I followed it out to the drive and to the street. There about about a block away sat his car with the trail leading right to it. Fortunately he had enough sense to shut it off when the oil light came on instead of turning around and driving back. We had a Jeep service truck with a push bumper and got it back on the rack. He had 2 different cars and I grabbed the wrong filter while distracted by his gabbing...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

One of my mentors, the man who gave me my first job in his rod shop while I was still in highschool has always put a list up on the wall next to the car he was working on. I use to think it was so stupid, I mean, does he REALLY need to say "install engine" on a list, I don't think it's hard to miss! But he did this and I soon found that it was not only a don't forget the really important you are going to die stuff, but it was also a wonderful motivator! Looking up at that list with "to do" items being crossed off everyday, seeing that list of things to do getting smaller and smaller, I have used it over the years and I think I will give it a little more respect, thanks for bringing it up.

Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
You HAD to dig that memory up, huh..

I worked at a service station in the early 70's and a customer that lived a couple blocks behind it was allowed in the service bays while we worked on his car. I changed his oil on a Saturday morning while BSing with him. After I lowered the car and kicked the pads, he got in, started it, the oil light went out and he backed out and left. A few seconds later I noticed a trail of oil leading out of my bay. I followed it out to the drive and to the street. There about about a block away sat his car with the trail leading right to it. Fortunately he had enough sense to shut it off when the oil light came on instead of turning around and driving back. We had a Jeep service truck with a push bumper and got it back on the rack. He had 2 different cars and I grabbed the wrong filter while distracted by his gabbing...

LOL, Oh yeah I have one of THOSE stories. LOL It was my ex-mother-in-law's 76 Pinto in 1979 I was changing the rad or coolent or something, anyway I filled it up in the dark outside after a long day at the shop. I forgot one little thing, to tighten the petcock! I didn't see the coolent going all over the ground because the ground was wet and it was dark. I was late getting the car back to her, she needed it that night and I took off, to a house about 10 miles away!

I was going down the freeway when I heard this very bad sound, I turned down the radio and stepped on the gas to hear a REALLY, REALLY bad sounding motor! I took the exit and as I came to a stop at the bottom of the exit the motor froze up solid, I mean SOLID with the starter making a THUD sound when I hit the switch! I looked over and at a nearby gas station was a tow truck. I ran over there and begged him to tow me back to my shop. He was on his way home and wasn't working I begged him and he gave in, grabbing the poor Pinto and taking it back to the shop. I pulled the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders. Ran to the parts store (the Chain that I hated that was still open, this was about 8 oclock) and got a thermostat and some coolent. It had cooled down enough to where it would crank over by then. I cranked the motor over for quite a while with the plugs out letting the oil lube up the cylinders. Changed the thermostat and put the plugs back in and fired it up! I drove it to my mother-in-laws house telling her I ran out of gas for the reason I was late. For the years after that she kept the car every time I ever heard the word "Pinto" out of her or her husbands mouth I would almost want to vomit waiting for the news that the motor exploded or something. She drove that car for about five more years and when her husband told me he sold it I was so relieved to get it out of my life. I have to say though, that little motor gained my respect that night. I never looked at the Pinto the same every again because if there was a motor that SHOULD have stopped for ever, it was that little motor that night.

Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Forgot to tighten the lug nut. Only once. I had mounted the tire back on the car then the phone rang. I answered it. Lowered the car, backed it out of my stall wheel fell off in front of the customer. I have never answered a ringing phone without finishing what I'm doing since. "Don't you hear that phone?' Yep I hear it.
Changed my oil and filter on my own truck. Backed it out and drove it down the block trailing oil. Back up on the hoist, removed the leaking filter and found the rubber seal from previous filter. Never did that again but have found the old rubber seal many times since.

Worked on a customers car with customer still in car. Didn't like it but he insisted. Had the radiator half way out when he cranked the engine, (he wanted to listen to the radio) dropped the radiator into the fan. Refused to ever work on a car with owner inside again.

Life's little lessons.

BB

P.S. He got to buy a new radiator. About $400 bucks. Yes there is a God!)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Plus what it could have been,
Old 05-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Is any one having problems with color when posting pictures ,if I zoom in on my pictures it looks like white powders on my paint,and looks grainy,amd some look black at a distance.is it my camera or my computer.or could it be too much lighting..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner fenders 001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	73774  

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I'm sure it's not my fault all my pictures come out bad! It's gotta be the camera, the computer, they picture hosting site, or any number of other things!
Everybody's pictures come out better than mine, so I sure can't comment on what might cause a bad picture!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-05-2013)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.