The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 228 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I'm running those same headers on my Falcon gasser build! I paid $20 more new from Speedway, so you got a decent deal!

Then I rolled it back in with the help of the previous owner, and dropped the new gas tank in that came while I was cleaning. Bent up my new fuel line and got it strapped to the frame also! Then I got out my die grinder and started polishing up the tunnel ram that's going on the 454 in the Falcon.
Those rear wheel openings look real good there..it sits nice too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
John - if you could remember to take the memory pills - you wouldn't need 'em!
John who?

BB
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
I'm running those same headers on my Falcon gasser build! I paid $20 more new from Speedway, so you got a decent deal!
Same thing here with the floor! I hooked up my Warn receiver winch on the back of my '69 Suburban and hauled the Falcon outside today, so I could give the work area a good cleaning!

Then I rolled it back in with the help of the previous owner, and dropped the new gas tank in that came while I was cleaning. Bent up my new fuel line and got it strapped to the frame also! Then I got out my die grinder and started polishing up the tunnel ram that's going on the 454 in the Falcon.
You are doing great work.never noticed the body lines on a falcon before,they are great ,Mercedes lips are a plus,looking forward to see complete ,still slowly workin on mine ,johnny cash style one piece at a time..
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
"Then I got out my die grinder and started polishing up the tunnel ram"

That was another thing I aquired. four bbl top
(plenum). Now I have three tops for the Weiand tunnel ram. Single 4bbl. two 4bbl. and 2 4500 carb tops. Dang you hoarder!!

I know the single 4bbl. top has terrible flow characteristics, but dang.. A 850 vac secondary carb with a three port injector type scoop poking thru the hood.. Very streetable.. me thinks..
Sounds like we have similar taste in our builds! I have a 3 hole injector style scoop that's going on mine also. I just need to knock some of the new off, as it's way too highly polished for my liking.

And thanks for the kind words deadbodyman and 496Chev!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

I have a PJ trailer and lost a wheel last year. The bolt pattern is 5x5 and I couldn't find a wheel anywhere near here. I bought a drum/hub assembly and wheel to convert that position to 4.5 bolt pattern. Over the winter I bought 3 more hubs and 4 wheels. Put them on today along with some Cedar tone deck sealer.

Off with the old...

On with the new. I LOVE the grease fittings in the spindle. I put the hub and bearings on dry, snapped on the grease hose, pulled the trigger on the Lincoln battery gun and spun the hub until everything was full and lubed. NO MORE packing bearings !!

Whaaa Laaa

Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
John who?

BB

I forgot......
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

" I LOVE the grease fittings in the spindle. I put the hub and bearings on dry, snapped on the grease hose, pulled the trigger on the Lincoln battery gun and spun the hub until everything was full and lubed. NO MORE packing bearings !!"

The only issue with my flatdeck is the constant creak 'n' squeak from the suspension which bugs the whee outta me. Gonna get some of those bolts that have a zerk on the end and replace every one in spring hangers and center pivots and etc just to be able to "tell it to shut the heck up!"
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
You are doing great work.never noticed the body lines on a falcon before,they are great ,Mercedes lips are a plus,looking forward to see complete ,still slowly workin on mine ,johnny cash style one piece at a time..
What do you use to polish your aluminum,i have been using a ,New to me ,product called White Diamond ,it works great on smooth sanded material ,i have started polishing a Crager 671 blower casting is rough looks like it is going to be labor intensive ,started sanding with 320 ,then will go to600,1200 ,2000 ,then polish with wool spiral ,does this sound right ,or is there a better way ,any suggestions,
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What do you use to polish your aluminum,i have been using a ,New to me ,product called White Diamond ,it works great on smooth sanded material ,i have started polishing a Crager 671 blower casting is rough looks like it is going to be labor intensive ,started sanding with 320 ,then will go to600,1200 ,2000 ,then polish with wool spiral ,does this sound right ,or is there a better way ,any suggestions,
I haven't done much polishing, but for the little I do I strat with my die grinder and 3M quick change Roloc discs. They come in all sorts of grits, plus the stripper pads too. I start with something around 60 grit to knock the cast finish off, then gradually work down until I get to the stripper pads. Start with a medium pad, and work down to fine.
After that the metal is usually almost polished, so I can use any number of commercial polishes on lamb's wool or muslim small wheels to finish. This was a couple hours sanding and buffing with discs and stripper pads today. It's just about ready to start polishing:

I'm actually considering leaving it at this point for the Falcon, as it fits the look better than a high polish.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

Picked up the Greenlee fliptop hydraulic bender from the place I retired from today. I'm starting my rollcage tomorrow, and then knock out a couple others while I have the bender here to use!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Yours is looking great,think I need to start with something a little more coarse to remove material faster, I have about 3 hrs and only have one side,i only work on it if I am waiting on parts or paint to dry,
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yours is looking great,think I need to start with something a little more coarse to remove material faster, I have about 3 hrs and only have one side,i only work on it if I am waiting on parts or paint to dry,
Yes, you'll be forever if you don't start with something coarser to knock the sand cast finish off first.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Picked up the Greenlee fliptop hydraulic bender from the place I retired from today. I'm starting my rollcage tomorrow, and then knock out a couple others while I have the bender here to use!
I usually do my own on the old Greenlee also. But when I was planning this build. Summit was clearing out their inventory of BDR roll cages on Ebay.
Found one for 55 Chevy, eight point for $99.00, free shipping. Couldn't pass it up. Fits like it was made for the car.. I was so impressed I bought a second one for future projects (I have nore than a couple) if I survive that long..

More Studebaker frame grinding and welding today. Got a little more primer on it.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
" I LOVE the grease fittings in the spindle. I put the hub and bearings on dry, snapped on the grease hose, pulled the trigger on the Lincoln battery gun and spun the hub until everything was full and lubed. NO MORE packing bearings !!"

The only issue with my flatdeck is the constant creak 'n' squeak from the suspension which bugs the whee outta me. Gonna get some of those bolts that have a zerk on the end and replace every one in spring hangers and center pivots and etc just to be able to "tell it to shut the heck up!"
I'm with ya on the squeaks and creaks. That drives me crazy too. I pulled a spring ride belly dump for a couple years and those things sound like they're gonna fall apart from all the suspension noise... I don't think I can get greaseable bolts small enough for my car hauler. I looked at that yesterday when the wheels were off. When I run out of "important" things to do and get bored. I may try my hand at gun drilling bolts for it on my drill press...
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
I usually do my own on the old Greenlee also. But when I was planning this build. Summit was clearing out their inventory of BDR roll cages on Ebay.
Found one for 55 Chevy, eight point for $99.00, free shipping. Couldn't pass it up. Fits like it was made for the car.. I was so impressed I bought a second one for future projects (I have nore than a couple) if I survive that long..

More Studebaker frame grinding and welding today. Got a little more primer on it.
WOW! Wish I had seen that sale, I'd have bought a couple also!

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.