The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 232 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 05:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nasty, windy, cold, damp weather Mothers day. No mothers here, so I decided to kill the afternoon in the toy shop..

Finally got to the point that I could get some paint on frame parts.. Only 45 degrees outside and not much warmer temp on frame. So I turned a heater on blowing directly on crossmembers, sanded epoxy primer and brush painted them with color/hardner. Looks ok for a 60's drag racer.. Cheap brush losses hair, had to pickem out. Maybe some color sand later in the week..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Nasty, windy, cold, damp weather Mothers day. No mothers here, so I decided to kill the afternoon in the toy shop..

Finally got to the point that I could get some paint on frame parts.. Only 45 degrees outside and not much warmer temp on frame. So I turned a heater on blowing directly on crossmembers, sanded epoxy primer and brush painted them with color/hardner. Looks ok for a 60's drag racer.. Cheap brush losses hair, had to pickem out. Maybe some color sand later in the week..
We need pictures!
I'll be doing the same thing soon! Engine is coming out of mine tomorrow, and once I finish the engine bay and firewall, I'll get the black rustoleum out and start brush painting the firewall, frame, and suspension too. I like brushing it on. Might not be a slick and smooth, but it sure gets a nice thick coating!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Working on a White lawnmower. If I would have just let it run out of gas the last time I had it running, about five years ago, it wouldn't have a problem but the old stinky gas has kind of gummed up the works.

I had a Murray all ready to go, it was running great a few days before we were going to mow for the first time but when I went to start it to mow it was blowing up through the carb and it won't run. Looks like it must have an intake valve problem.

My 18 horse Sears, on the other hand, started up the other day just fine and I hadn't started it in over a year. I just choked it and turned the key and it was running old gas and all. Of course it has a bearing out of the mower deck.

I'll end up mowing the yard the first time this year with a tractor pulling the Bush Hog.

Last edited by CrashFarmer2; 05-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

my Murray (TSC) has an injected Briggs in it and every once in a while, pops the pushrod off the rocker and acts like a bad valve. Also terrible gas screws up the carb/injector along with the darn mud bugs..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,241 Posts
LOL....I just love these lawn mower threads. I have a fairly new Snapper but this old '77 John Deere is the one I have a relationsip with. I would rather mow with it 2 to 1 than the snapper. I really believe she is going to run forever.

John L
Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last photo:

Quote:
my Murray (TSC) has an injected Briggs in it and every once in a while, pops the pushrod off the rocker and acts like a bad valve. Also terrible gas screws up the carb/injector along with the darn mud bugs..
One reason the Sears starts so good after a year's time is that it had no fuel in the carb. The little impulse fuel pump went out a few years ago and I just stuck an electric pump on it and I turn the pump off and let the carb run out of gas when I shut it off. For some reason the gas seems to go bad faster sitting in a carb than in a tank. My Allis Chalmers WD45 won't start if you let it sit for about 2 weeks with gas in the carb. I have to drain the carb before it will start. If I shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas it can sit out in the barn for months without starting. Open the fuel shutoff and let the fuel run into the carb and it will start right off.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL....I just love these lawn mower threads. I have a fairly new Snapper but this old '77 John Deere is the one I have a relationsip with. I would rather mow with it 2 to 1 than the snapper. I really believe she is going to run forever.

John L
Here is my John Deere 185 mower, I should put it back together one of these days. It had a mouse fill the air cleaner with seeds a couple of years ago, I thought that I had them all cleaned out and it was mowing right along. All the sudden it died and all it would do was blow up through the carb when I tried to start it. I think one of the seeds got down into the intake valve. I started to tear it apart and got sidetracked and I just haven't got back to it. I might own too many mowers?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

"My Allis Chalmers WD45 won't start if you let it sit for about 2 weeks with gas in the carb"

Same problem I have with my IH backhoe. Those farmer/engineers at IH didn't make it easy to service the carb either..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Just putchaced a z425 john deere zero turn fall of the year .it came with no headlights only mowed 1 time last year ,So today I mounted a set of LED lights,but I don't have pictures so I guess I didn't -Git er dun.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last photo:

Quote:
"My Allis Chalmers WD45 won't start if you let it sit for about 2 weeks with gas in the carb"

Same problem I have with my IH backhoe. Those farmer/engineers at IH didn't make it easy to service the carb either..
I can't figure out why the WD45 is so picky. The 60 John Deere never had that problem. Maybe the old 2 cylinder Deeres would just run on anything.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

Since you guys are posting your mowers heres my beast firs time using it this year oh yeah!! Im using my phone in it which I dont condone while on the roadways its ok doin yard work.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Guess I never knew guys had such love affairs with lawnmowers? I've always hated mine, even when it was new. It's never given me a day of grief, though I neglect it, and never do maintenance on it for the last 20 yrs. But it's just another piece of the whole lawn mowing thing that I despise in general.
I actually told my wife when I bought the new lawnmower two decades ago that I was going to run a test on it. I had previously changed oil, added gas treatment, and done everything to mowers, and they still broke or gave me fits. I decided I was just going to add gas, and check the oil on this new mower from the get go, and forget doing anything else. First time I fired it up the engine ran 10 minutes and threw a rod out the side of the block! Took it back to where I bought it for a return/refund, and they said they had to put a new engine in it. Week later I finally got it back, and began my test. In 20 yrs it's gotten gas, and just checked the oil level each spring. Never changed the oil, and no gas treatment in the winter. It's started and ran first pull each spring, and all year for 20 yrs. I think I've saved a week of my time, and hundreds of dollars over the two decades of ignoring this mower!
I love a well mainntained lawn, and admire those who have them, but it's always been something I did begrudgingly. Just never got into enjoying lawn work, or anything involved with it!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

As I said before lawnmowing becomes when you finally spend the money on a zero clearance lawn mower and you have hills and valleys. Your mower becomes a portable amusement park.
I think I'll go mow mine again!

BB
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Just came in from mowing my yard. My Toro sat all winter with the battery in it and fired right up. I DO add Sea Foam the last fill of the previous year. I thought I had enough gas and was literally 3 MINUTES from done when it ran out at the farthest corner of our lot from the garage....

My wife is always nagging to fertilize and do weed control. At 1 1/4 acres of just grass, the fertilizer is $150 EACH application....

Last year we didn't get rain for the last 10 weeks of the season and everything dried out badly. The moles destroyed a few hundred square feet of the front yard. I get to add top soil and reseed that this year too.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Guess I never knew guys had such love affairs with lawnmowers? I've always hated mine, even when it was new. It's never given me a day of grief, though I neglect it, and never do maintenance on it for the last 20 yrs. But it's just another piece of the whole lawn mowing thing that I despise in general.
I actually told my wife when I bought the new lawnmower two decades ago that I was going to run a test on it. I had previously changed oil, added gas treatment, and done everything to mowers, and they still broke or gave me fits. I decided I was just going to add gas, and check the oil on this new mower from the get go, and forget doing anything else. First time I fired it up the engine ran 10 minutes and threw a rod out the side of the block! Took it back to where I bought it for a return/refund, and they said they had to put a new engine in it. Week later I finally got it back, and began my test. In 20 yrs it's gotten gas, and just checked the oil level each spring. Never changed the oil, and no gas treatment in the winter. It's started and ran first pull each spring, and all year for 20 yrs. I think I've saved a week of my time, and hundreds of dollars over the two decades of ignoring this mower!
I love a well mainntained lawn, and admire those who have them, but it's always been something I did begrudgingly. Just never got into enjoying lawn work, or anything involved with it!
You sound so much like me on this subject it's scary. I have a Toro my parents bought used about 20-25 years ago. I do NOTHING to it but add gas and it fires on one pull every time. I recently broke down and got a new Stihl weed whacker that I am really happy with. I had a Royobi that lasted about 10 years and it when it took a poop I bought an electric one, BIG MISTAKE, what a friggin joke! The last time I used it I told my wife we would be spending a few hundred bucks on a new weed whacker as I will not use that electric one ever again. I had it a year and went back to the same local hardware store about a month ago looking to replace it. I told the guy how I wasn't happy with the electric and he says "Bring it back". HUH? Really? He said you are important to us and we want you happy. I went back home and got it and brought it back and walked out with a Stihl, very cool place! And I am very happy with it. The better tools are always worth the money, that is all there is to it.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.