Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,641 ·
I came home to an issue with the front door on my house so spent this evening correcting that but did get out to the garage for some rust clean up, yea.

Brian

#4,642 ·
Nice to have a problem be an easy fix that works when done...:cool:

I'm making slow, but steady, progress on my '38 finally too...:D
Well it's a step forward, but like any old car, it took a step back too! When I took it for the test drive I started to roll my window down, and it would only go down about 5"!!! Rolls up and down the first 5" perfect, but no amount of coaxing made it go further.
Gotta pull the door panel tomorrow and see what's up. Always something!

#4,643 ·
after a morning of running to pooop I played in garage for 2 hours before I was back to crapp'n like a jet stream
so I moved tool box down a little ways and added an air line and a water trap that's just for painting, added a ball valve so it's off untill needed, mounted my air reel that I bought late year some time, mounted the little storage boxes/containers(white things on wall) and found a spot for my extra tool dolly.. now gotta read instructions on the brothers p touch labeler so I can lable the draws so I'm not hunting every draw try'n to find crap..
maybe later if my body will stop this #$^# I'll sort the tools to draws and get it organized. so it doesn't take longer to find the tool than doing the job..

garage 001 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

garage 002 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

garage 003 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

#4,644 ·
im waiting for it to cool off a lil bit today so i can start installing new head gaskets on my camaro.

decided to test out the nitrous tune last night and lost the gaskets @ 15 psi of boost + 100 shot.
sticking felpros back in it for now and unhooking the nitrous till i can get a set of commetic head gaskets and head studs here to install

#4,646 ·
"Cleaned off" the Corvair

Well, okay, I didn't actually work on my '60 Corvair, but I did uncover it to go for a stroll, and found this critter under the cover :confused: The kids loved him, and he was still hanging on when I parked it. :D By the way, my 11 yr old took the picture of the hood--turned out nice--maybe a future in photography?

Attachments

#4,649 ·
Pulled my driver's door apart on the Falcon to figure out why the window wouldn't go down. Easy fix, as it was some old rubber in the window channel that was loose and in the way. Just pulled it the rest the way out and it worked great.
Then went down to my buddy's house down the street and we cut the access hole for removing his fuel pump. Got a nice neat hole by drilling one corner with a unibit, and then gradually opening it up to see where we needed to enlarge the hole. We both have plans this weekend, so we'll get back on it Monday.

#4,651 ·
Looking good John, I didn't touch the truck tonight. I spent a little time cleaning up the Gran Sport as I am going to put it in a show tomorrow at an event here in town tomorrow. That's all for me. :D

Brian

#4,654 ·
Heading up the gorge to Hood River to a picnic at the WAAM today! Going to take the scenic highway and drive the Austin gasser to our annual picnic. Should be fun, as I've not been to the aviation and automobile museum yet!
Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum
Before they closed the airport in Vancouver, Wa I drove the 57 Olds to an antique plane fly in for a combination car and plane show. What a great day that was. :thumbup:

Hope you have a great day!

John

#4,655 ·
i got the camaro back together , the nitrous managed to pop both headgaskets.
im thinking i have distribution issues as it burnt the gaskets between cyls 5-7 and 6-8.

im going to back it off to a 75 shot and see what happens , it could have been that the felpro gaskets and stock headbolts couldnt hold upto the 15 pounds of boost + the nitrous, but i know somone who runs alot more boost and hit his with the same amount of nitrous and he dont take out the gaskets

i will say im not in a huge rush to test out the nitrous tune again as i need the car working so i can get back and forth to work during the week

#4,656 ·
i got the camaro back together , the nitrous managed to pop both headgaskets.
im thinking i have distribution issues as it burnt the gaskets between cyls 5-7 and 6-8.

im going to back it off to a 75 shot and see what happens , it could have been that the felpro gaskets and stock headbolts couldnt hold upto the 15 pounds of boost + the nitrous, but i know somone who runs alot more boost and hit his with the same amount of nitrous and he dont take out the gaskets

i will say im not in a huge rush to test out the nitrous tune again as i need the car working so i can get back and forth to work during the week
I've never been a fan of NOS. Just seen too many good engines ruined by it.

#4,657 · (Edited)
Before they closed the airport in Vancouver, Wa I drove the 57 Olds to an antique plane fly in for a combination car and plane show. What a great day that was. :thumbup:

Hope you have a great day!

John
The museum at Pearson Air Park is pretty cool too, but also quite small. The WAAM Museum was fantastic, with over 100 planes from just after WWII and earlier. Plus 130 cars mostly pre WWII, but a handful in the 50's and 60's. All beautifully maintained, as are the buildings and grounds. They were also having a small swap meet while I was there, so walked around it also. Didn't see anything I wanted though.
They're in the process of building another building that will house mostly cars, and add even more floor space to the 5-6 buildings they now have.
I drove the Scenic Highway both directions, after a short freeway jaunt. The drive is such nice curvy roads that I could drive it every weekend and enjoy it. For a short wheelbase straight axle car, the Austin handles the curves quite well.

#4,658 ·
I've never been a fan of NOS. Just seen too many good engines ruined by it.
this is the first time ive used it on one of my own cars. going to need it to run bottom of the 9's with the current engine. not to mention how much it cools off the boost charge even with me having a massive air to air intercooler .

funny thing is when it poped the gaskets it was running right at 11.0-1 afr not sure if i need to richen it up at all but i dont think so. on boost alone i run 11.8-12.1 afrs

#4,659 ·
this is the first time ive used it on one of my own cars. going to need it to run bottom of the 9's with the current engine. not to mention how much it cools off the boost charge even with me having a massive air to air intercooler .

funny thing is when it poped the gaskets it was running right at 11.0-1 afr not sure if i need to richen it up at all but i dont think so. on boost alone i run 11.8-12.1 afrs
A lot of guys I know who run high compression engines with either supercharger, or a big NOS hit, also O ring their blocks to help the gaskets hold. Might have to do that if you're topping off the compression with a big shot.

#4,660 ·
A lot of guys I know who run high compression engines with either supercharger, or a big NOS hit, also O ring their blocks to help the gaskets hold. Might have to do that if you're topping off the compression with a big shot.
what im thinking is im leaning out on cyls 7 and 8 , i tested the nitrous at 15 psi of boost , and ive run this engine with 22 psi before , which should make more power then the 15psi + 100 shot

i should probably get a bunch of egt probes and hook them to my ecm so i can data log all the cyls, probably be the only way to know for sure

with my wideband 02 sensor its not going to show if one cyl is leaner then the others

and o-ringing the block is out on this one , this engine was the ultimate go fast as cheap as possible style build factory 0010 block .030 over , hand picked factory rods with good bolts, factory forged crank , speedpro forged pistons, summit racing hyd flat cam.

im well past the sane limits of the factory block, (shooting for 8-900 crank hp) so no point in spending more money on it, this is one of those get the most power and smiles from it as long as u can, and when it blows up the real engine goes in