The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 233 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Back on the Falcon gasser today. Pulled the engine out, and began grinding down all the stuff I've welded in and built over the past two months. Then I sealed up all the joints and gave it all a good brush coating of rustoleum black.
I did have to redo one area on the trans tunnel with an inset first, as I didn't keep it tight enough to the trans/bellhousing, and foot room for a throttle was cramped.
Anyhow, here's where it sits as of today:

Tomorrow the engine work begins. Teardown, and checking things, then hopefully put the new cam, Edelbrock heads and tunnel ram on, and back in the car later this week if I don't find anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

You are cranking on that Falcon! Good for you, getting something done!

I on the other hand am still floundering and getting nothing done. I did get out to my trailer to see about getting the flat tire fixed that I noticed the other day. I am heading off for a drive up into wine country this Saturday to get my front suspension for my truck. I pulled the trailer out of it's hole to find this! Man oh man am I glad it this happen right here in my yard and not out on the road. When I think of the miles I have pulled this trailer without even having a spare, let alone the places like over the top of bridges here in the bay area, holy crap was I THRILLED to see that blown tire in my driveway. So I pulled both wheels off the trailer and that is what I accomplished last night.

Brian

Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

nothing to write home about.. ran wires in garage for sound, and speaker jacks for yard..
hunted down a waterpump and flexplate, and found out I have oil filters for cars I don't have anymore.. but not the one I needed, duh.. mr. murphy strikes again..
Old 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Got to work for a past employer today. He had an old forties/fifties Hercules 6-cyl diesel that was causing problems. So I got to assemble a real piece of history.

Bearings were marked 1956 and gaskets from 1952. Great packaging. Gaskets in plywood container. Bearings were first coated with cosmoline, then wrapped in glazed butcher paper, then boxed individually, boxes coated in bees wax, then wrapped in wax paper..

Got it short blocked today, should be ready for delivery tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Registered

The only things I have gotten done today was my doc appt. which he put me off work longer until next week. Ive now been off for a month due to rupturing L4 and 5 in my back. Ridiculous mess. I think the two worst things about this is the pain and dealing with HR lol.

The other thing was a massive search for a grille shell. I have searched everywhere but havent found one within price range that im willing to look past to hack up to fit. Im already going to have to have someone else fab it together on the hood so that kinda tees me off. The best ive found is located here. The pontiac shell but I need the bottom to go with it to make this as hassle free as possible since I wont be doing the work. I have the mold for the bumper 60% complete but without having that grille shell on the truck im not able to complete it and it looking feasable to be driven if needed. So the search continues!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjusti View Post
The only things I have gotten done today was my doc appt. which he put me off work longer until next week. Ive now been off for a month due to rupturing L4 and 5 in my back. Ridiculous mess. I think the two worst things about this is the pain and dealing with HR lol.

The other thing was a massive search for a grille shell. I have searched everywhere but havent found one within price range that im willing to look past to hack up to fit. Im already going to have to have someone else fab it together on the hood so that kinda tees me off. The best ive found is located here. The pontiac shell but I need the bottom to go with it to make this as hassle free as possible since I wont be doing the work. I have the mold for the bumper 60% complete but without having that grille shell on the truck im not able to complete it and it looking feasable to be driven if needed. So the search continues!
Call Old Car City in White Ga,770-386-1335 Dean Lewis,,,oldcarcity.com.
he has about 40 acres of 30-60s cars and trucks,he should have what you need,
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
itsjusti (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You are cranking on that Falcon! Good for you, getting something done!

I THRILLED to see that blown tire in my driveway. So I pulled both wheels off the trailer and that is what I accomplished last night.

Brian
Thanks Brian! Looks like you got lucky on that tire! Could have been ugly if the trailer was full at freeway speed!

I pulled the heads on the 454 today, and got a pleasant surprise. The engine has been totally rebuilt! Dropped the pan also, and it's got .040" over new pistons, and crank has 10/10 bearings. So my 454 is probably about 464 c.i. The heads are older 781 oval ports, with new SS valves and look to be in great shape. Since those haven't been made since the early 70's, I guess they were swapped, or the engine is earlier than the '83 truck it came from. Didn't do a leak down test on the heads yet, but I will before I wrap them and put them away for some future project. Since I'm going Edelbrock heads, I wont need these for this engine.
I'll have to reuse the old pan, and not my $10 swap meet chrome pan, as it hold two more qts. and I'd rather have more oil than bling.
I called the guy I got the engine from and asked why he hadn't told me it was rebuilt? He said he was told third hand it was ebuilt, but didn't know for sure, so didn't want to repeat the story and maybe not be true.
I did find something weird on the timing marks. When I put it on TDC with cam and crank gears aligned, the timing marks were off a couple inches. I put a stop on the block and turned it both ways to find true TDC, and it was @1.375" from the factory mark on the balancer. Not sure if the tab on the timing cover, or the balancer is the culprit, but one of them is wrong.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I had the same problem with my engine ,I found that GM made two different balancers ,,1 had timing mark at 12 o,clock ,later models 1 had it about 2 o clock ,mine was neither ,so I bought a fluid damper ,yea you guessed it ,it was also different,so I had to do like you , use a positive stop the remark damper.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Hot here today, so hot and windy I had a heck of a time with my truck. I just couldn't keep it cool. I coasted 8 out of the last 10 miles to get that load delivered. I think it needs a new A/C condenser, the fins are so bent and rotten that it's impeding the air flow.

It was so windy the hood kept blowing shut. I had to improvise with what I had in the truck to keep it open.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0514131412.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	74020   Click image for larger version

Name:	0514131517a.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	908.4 KB
ID:	74021  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Call Old Car City in White Ga,770-386-1335 Dean Lewis,,,oldcarcity.com.
he has about 40 acres of 30-60s cars and trucks,he should have what you need,
Sweet! Sounds very promising already! Ill give him a call tomorrow and see what hes got. I wish there were more yards around my area and ones that kept older then 90s models in stock just for times like these. Im a hands on looker buyer which is what makes this online buying thing a pita. Thank You very much!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered

I dont know why it double posted it so I deleted the 2nd one and will use this one to say im going to check the website out.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Dean has a couple helpers to pull parts and ship them to you .they take pictures and Email to you,and gives you a price,Hope this helps you.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I cleaned the roadster up and got it ready to go to The GoodGuy's tomorrow. I am puzzled by my experimentation with the chevy distributor in it. Even at 20 degrees advanced it wants to ping with 92 octane in it. I am beginning to think it is running more compression than it can stand. I have been driving it for 5 years now so I guess I will go ahead and back it off until it no longer pings. If it wasn't so much trouble I would love to throw the steel heads back on it and see what it does. Oh well, not todays problem.

John L
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I had the same problem with my engine ,I found that GM made two different balancers ,,1 had timing mark at 12 o,clock ,later models 1 had it about 2 o clock ,mine was neither ,so I bought a fluid damper ,yea you guessed it ,it was also different,so I had to do like you , use a positive stop the remark damper.
Thanks for that info! Sets my mind at ease, so I'll work with my remarked balancer.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Detailed/cleaned the inside of my daily driver and kind of half donkey washed the outside.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.