Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,662 ·
I spent the entire day at a local show. But after a short nap on the couch I got out to the garage for a little blasting of the rust out of the jamb of the cab.

Brian

#4,666 ·
thats so all the tree huggers can collect the pans after the car show and say look how much these old cars leak and pollute, so they can try to get them taken off the road lol
I don't think they dreamed it up, they must have had experience with it, a nice new street in a new long time coming development, they want to keep it nice. By the look of all the oil in those pans they weren't to out of line. :drunk:

Brian

#4,668 ·
thats so all the tree huggers can collect the pans after the car show and say look how much these old cars leak and pollute, so they can try to get them taken off the road lol
Ther may well be some truth to that! Because (as he switches to a very sarcastic voice here)" "Any car more than 1 year old is a gross polluter and should be crushed" (This message brought to you by the NEW CAR dealers assoc'n!)

#4,669 ·
First thing I got a haircut.. Several customers were calling me Santa Claus in the past weeks.

Got back to working on the Stude this afternoon after sorting out all the good auction stuff from saturday. I was impressed with some of the goodies I got.. Aluminum radiator for the Stude $8.00. Some BBC blocks for $35.00 ea. 400 turbo trans for $20.00 . Several sets of SBC main and rod bearings for less than 50 cents per set. Plus more goodies. Poor old loaded up Chevy was draggin all the way home..

Helped my work buddy pull the stepside bed off of an S-10 pickup, then got to the Stude

I needed to modify the bolt in frame , front body crossmember. It holds up the door hinge post. Used some 1 1/2" sq tube. bent a smile in it and welded it in to drop the center section down 4" to clear the trans belhousing area. After welding. I cut the old original center section out, boxed the new piece in and and it fit great..

Cleaned up the Mitsu/low alternator bracket I had made earlier and fit it to the BBC that will go into the car. Probably will chrome powder coat it later. Found a lower serpentine pulley. Need to find a w-pump pulley and I can get the charging/cooling system done. Keep everything down low.

#4,671 ·
Today I got the front of the roof back up on the cab, WHOOO HOOOO! It's looking good, I am spending a little more time on this cab than I did the first time, it's lining up good.

Brian

#4,672 ·
Oh, and by the way, when you are welding remove your wedding ring! DAMN I forgot and will NOT make that mistake again, I am burnt but good. YEOW no ring tomorrow, it will be the first day I haven't worn my ring in a number of years.

Brian

#4,675 ·
I was holding something while I tacked it. The metal ball flew over and welded it's self to my ring! I had to file it off and will sand and polish it tomorrow. Bless my wife, she was more concerned about my finger than the ring.

Brian

#4,677 ·
i guess I need to learn from you. I rarely take my ring off. I will try to do that in the future though.

John
I never even wore it when I was working on cars every day. And since I went to the office I was thrilled to put it on. But yes, while working you need to remove it. And this sucker BURNT my finger like nothing I have ever done, quite a different burn. It was burning and I didn't know why thinking the metal ball just hit my finger. Then I looked and saw the thing there, it burnt my finger all under the ring with the skin instantly peeling off! Yeah, learn from me John, don't make the same mistake!

Brian

Reactions: John long
#4,680 ·
Been working on the '38 for weeks now. Many surprises and set backs along the way but it is starting to shape up.

Too Many Projects
I'm concerned about your electric fan installation. If it rotates clockwise, as seen in the photo, it's going to be pulling hot air off the engine and pushing it through the rad from the back side.
If it rotates counter-clockwise it won't be very efficient because it will be turning backwards. That is, the trailing edge of the blades, the thin concave edge, will be acting as the leading edge. If this is the case the thin edge may deflect, not move much air and be very noisy.
It looks to me as though you have a pusher fan installed as a puller style.

I worked in the marine propulsion industry for many years so I had to be very aware of this type of thing. Blades mounted backwards was a big no-no.
The fan is made by Cooling Components and can be wired to run either direction. It is most efficient as a puller with the blades turning counter-clockwise. No idea why it is made that way but it moves a LOT of air (2500 cfm) and brings the temp down nicely. It is 2 speed and when I get the A/C working next year, it will be wired to run progressively starting on low and going to high as demand increases. For now, it is on high thru a 70 amp relay and YES, it is noisy when standing outside the car but I can't hear it at all inside.