The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 234 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Spent the day getting quotes on having a heat pump (with back-up furnace) installed in the house. My house is 100% ecologically correct right now - it has NO furnace! (it has electric baseboard heaters in all rooms - so it is NOT poss to put in central A/C) Electric bills run $500 / month in the winter!

So any new install has to include ductwork - what a PITA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Registered

Wiki Edits: 0

Ive shocked myself pretty good on those baseboard heaters before. I misted one with windex and wiped down to the control box and wowza! I scurried across the room on the floor like a scolded pet in a millisecond. My hand and entire arm were super tingly for almost a whole week. I got curious later and took it apart and the wiring was only twisted together cramped and bunched up in the tiny area....so I assume it was touching the casing idk. I pigtailed the connections and put it together and hoped it wouldnt catch fire someday lol. (It was in an old house turned into apts.) It would get so dry I would get nose bleeds like crazy.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2 View Post
Hot here today, so hot and windy I had a heck of a time with my truck. I just couldn't keep it cool. I coasted 8 out of the last 10 miles to get that load delivered. I think it needs a new A/C condenser, the fins are so bent and rotten that it's impeding the air flow.

It was so windy the hood kept blowing shut. I had to improvise with what I had in the truck to keep it open.
Looks like an early 90's model. Probably time for a new radiator if the engine is overheating. I replaced mine a few years back on a '92 379.

When mine sat over winter the danged thermostat would stick shut the first load I hauled and cause it to overheat too. I would tap the housing and get it to move and it would work the rest of the summer. I finally got tired of that and replaced it with a 180.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Looks like an early 90's model. Probably time for a new radiator if the engine is overheating. I replaced mine a few years back on a '92 379.

When mine sat over winter the danged thermostat would stick shut the first load I hauled and cause it to overheat too. I would tap the housing and get it to move and it would work the rest of the summer. I finally got tired of that and replaced it with a 180.
It's an 2004 but the way the fins are bent on the ac condenser I think thet does it on real hot days. I used one of those fin straighteners on it last summer but I got nowhere fast and ended up giving up in frustration. The trailer is a 2011.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
It's an 2004 but the way the fins are bent on the ac condenser I think thet does it on real hot days. I used one of those fin straighteners on it last summer but I got nowhere fast and ended up giving up in frustration. The trailer is a 2011.

I thought the headlights changed around 2000. Yours looks identical to my '92.
The A/C condensor on mine is only about 8" tall and at the very bottom of the rad. That shouldn't be blocking enough air to cause overheating. Have you used an air hose and blown out the rad from the backside ?? I would be thinking about the thermostat. If the temp climbs quickly from a cold start, it could be the stat is stuck.
Another possibility is the fan clutch not turning on. I had the terminals corrode on the clutch stat and not engage the fan.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I cleaned the roadster up and got it ready to go to The GoodGuy's tomorrow. I am puzzled by my experimentation with the chevy distributor in it. Even at 20 degrees advanced it wants to ping with 92 octane in it. I am beginning to think it is running more compression than it can stand. I have been driving it for 5 years now so I guess I will go ahead and back it off until it no longer pings. If it wasn't so much trouble I would love to throw the steel heads back on it and see what it does. Oh well, not todays problem.

John L
You might want to think about a vacumn advance,port or spark advance .makes a big difference. Just a thought,i had to change mine on my z28 from spark to port ,with port you have no advance to make it start easy ,then when it starts you have advance for low end ,and at cruise it retards timing for fuel mileage and good cruise manners no ping ,runs much cooler,or at least on my small block just over 400 hp, but a Flattie may be different I am not familar with these ,if you need it I have a NEW Mallory dist with no advance point type (small cap )and a MSD small cap electronic dist with advance compatable with electronic adjustable advance.if you need either let me know,you can take either try them if you can make it work. Also as you know a lean condition will have same affects.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Well I finally got the bed and radiator and supports mounted,,The cardboard is to protect me from My self,try not to bend fins, mounted the S/S chains and tailgate hinges ,now I need tail lights any one have any suggestions of what kind of light might look good on here.and whwre would you mount them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RADIATOR 004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	74030   Click image for larger version

Name:	RADIATOR 002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	74031   Click image for larger version

Name:	RADIATOR 001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	74032  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I cleaned the roadster up and got it ready to go to The GoodGuy's tomorrow. I am puzzled by my experimentation with the chevy distributor in it. Even at 20 degrees advanced it wants to ping with 92 octane in it. I am beginning to think it is running more compression than it can stand. I have been driving it for 5 years now so I guess I will go ahead and back it off until it no longer pings. If it wasn't so much trouble I would love to throw the steel heads back on it and see what it does. Oh well, not todays problem.

John L
Is this the roadster in the picture ..LOL.. John have a good trip,
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I thought the headlights changed around 2000. Yours looks identical to my '92.
The A/C condensor on mine is only about 8" tall and at the very bottom of the rad. That shouldn't be blocking enough air to cause overheating. Have you used an air hose and blown out the rad from the backside ?? I would be thinking about the thermostat. If the temp climbs quickly from a cold start, it could be the stat is stuck.
Another possibility is the fan clutch not turning on. I had the terminals corrode on the clutch stat and not engage the fan.
The air to air stuck out too far prior to 1996 to allow mounting an ac condenser so it was mounted under the air to air. My condenser is much larger and in front of the air to air. I'm not certain but I wonder if R-134a had something to do with going to a larger condenser.

The picture is a 1994 that I used to drive, it had the smaller condenser but as I remember the air worked ok.

It also had the big round lights but those are not the ones it had on it originally. The light thing is a little hazy but I remember those new style lights appearing around 2007 or 8. But I have seen the style of lights that are on mine in newer trucks also. Whether you can order those styles when you buy a new truck or you just put them on because you don't like the new ones, I don't know. I know I didn't like the new style.

My truck fairly recently had a new radiator. The fan was replaced this winter when the air compressor threw a rod and the mechanic discovered the bearings were going out of the fan in the process of fixing the compressor.

I had blown the radiator out when I got back to the shop last night but I didn't get a whole lot out. We spent some time straightening the fins this morning. Old rotten looking fins. I didn't have any trouble with it today but it was a lot cooler out. I'm betting the next really hot day I'll have problems with it. I think it's time for a new condenser.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I saw a NEW 379 last week with large single headlights like the 1969 I use to drive,,they might have ben changed I didn't talk to the driver,, Makes ne miss driving, retired after 26 years sold my trucks ,,IM thru.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

hacked the cab and service box off of the 1991 F350 donor truck to get to the 7.3 and ZF 5 transmission.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The air to air stuck out too far prior to 1996 to allow mounting an ac condenser so it was mounted under the air to air. My condenser is much larger and in front of the air to air. I'm not certain but I wonder if R-134a had something to do with going to a larger condenser.

The picture is a 1994 that I used to drive, it had the smaller condenser but as I remember the air worked ok.

It also had the big round lights but those are not the ones it had on it originally. The light thing is a little hazy but I remember those new style lights appearing around 2007 or 8. But I have seen the style of lights that are on mine in newer trucks also. Whether you can order those styles when you buy a new truck or you just put them on because you don't like the new ones, I don't know. I know I didn't like the new style.

My truck fairly recently had a new radiator. The fan was replaced this winter when the air compressor threw a rod and the mechanic discovered the bearings were going out of the fan in the process of fixing the compressor.

I had blown the radiator out when I got back to the shop last night but I didn't get a whole lot out. We spent some time straightening the fins this morning. Old rotten looking fins. I didn't have any trouble with it today but it was a lot cooler out. I'm betting the next really hot day I'll have problems with it. I think it's time for a new condenser.
Yeah, if the condensor is that big, it would affect airflow a lot more than my '92. That's crazy that they stack all three in-line. The most important part of cooling is the rad and it's last to get air ... I'm still using R12 and when I have the ducts pointed towards me, my hands get too cold on the wheel.... The condensor should be less expensive than the rad.

If that is you that dropped the reefer, it doesn't look like you were having a good day...
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

what are you building
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yeah, if the condensor is that big, it would affect airflow a lot more than my '92. That's crazy that they stack all three in-line. The most important part of cooling is the rad and it's last to get air ... I'm still using R12 and when I have the ducts pointed towards me, my hands get too cold on the wheel.... The condensor should be less expensive than the rad.

If that is you that dropped the reefer, it doesn't look like you were having a good day...
That guy hooked up to the trailer beside me. He didn't bother to check if it was hooked. When he pulled out it fell off. The first thing he did was try to crank up the landing gear which promptly stripped the gears. They brought out a forklift, it wouldn't lift it. Out came an even bigger forklift with the same results. It was kind of funny, kind of makes you remember to check your trailer every time you hook up. It took a couple of hours to get it hooked back up. It didn't matter to me since I was at that dock for over 8 hours, packing plants just aren't noted for speedy loading.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Well I finally got the bed and radiator and supports mounted,,The cardboard is to protect me from My self,try not to bend fins, mounted the S/S chains and tailgate hinges ,now I need tail lights any one have any suggestions of what kind of light might look good on here.and whwre would you mount them.
Looks fantastic! I like the idea of covering the radiator, as I've dinged fins myself before! Are you planning on any covers or something to protect the paint from those chains possibly rubbing the adjacent area?

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.