The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 239 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Siding can be hiding a LOT of problems, that is all I can think of.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjusti View Post
Why is it necessary for insurance reasons for a house to be sided or painted? Curious because it is hurting us trying to find a home loan within our reasonable range. If its sided it raises it out of our range but if its not and even has been recently repainted it has to be repainted for insurance reasons again putting it out of comfortable price range. And the roof things kills it too with reroofing the house and have to het details on it because the city code allows 3 but no more. So once you find that out which is a pain because records arent kept only going off of memory you find out it already has 2 or 3 so soon an entire new roof not just a leveling roof redo would be in order.
I am surprised that the city allows three layers of shingles. At 225 lbs per square that would mean you would have 675 lbs of roof load per 100 square feet just in shingles.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
these might part of them
Cant leave out the Blue Oval and Mopar guys,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rusted-muscle-cover-cropped-623x389.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	74196   Click image for larger version

Name:	scrapbird.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	74197  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered

Im totally clueless on house related things so it may not be. that was a guess going off memory of peoples ranting and advice. I was kind of in a rant not knowing stage if confusion lol like usual when it comes to this which is part of the reason why ive now spent the last 2 years looking.Whenever I look at a house I take huge notes and tons of pictures then have my dad go over them all. Yeah sad I know.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

No idea what all the prerequisites are to buying a home, as it's been 25 years since we bought our's and things probably changed. I know our home had a new roof on it when we bought it, so we didn't worry, and nobody checked beyond knowing it was new. I replaced the roof last summer, and was very surprised to find two layers of roofing over cedar shakes! And to top that off it had nailer strips for the shakes, and no underlayment. I ended up stripping it all down, and sheeting the whole house, plus new architectural 30 yr. roofing. So I can probably not do it again in my lifetime!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

Had one of those days where I didn't get much done on my cars. I had a friend come over who wanted a rollbar in his '56 Chevy gasser, so I bent up a old style 4 pt. for him. He mainly wanted it to complete his gasser theme, so didn't want a 6 pt or 8 pt. cage.
After we finished it, I had to strip my new Taurus rear seat. I got the leather seat from pick n pull, and tried dying it with vinyl spray black. I found out the hard way it's not for leather, as it immediately started flaking off. Had to strip it with urethane reducer (hot stuff!) to get it off. What a mess to strip!
Once it was stripped clean, and wiped down again, I went to Tandy Leather and got black leather dye to redo it. Gave it a couple coats, and it took very well. I think one more coat will do it, then a couple coats of conditioner to seal it.
Got my '67-'68 Camaro bucket seat covers today, so I'll recover the Mustang II buckets to look like the '67-'68 Camaro seats. Might leave the headrests off too, but maybe not, as they're not too ugly.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Registered

See I wouldnt know the first thing on how to reroof a house so much so that I dont even know what any of that means. Heh. I cant imagine that being good but as far as details I have no clue. im able to do small fix it kind of jobs but thats about it. Like I just got done installing the a/c unit in the living room window but I wanted the front to sit flush with the sill where as before it stuck out past the sill 4"s. And the landlord had a cheesy way of holding it up with just pieces of wood underneath it. So I mafe a platform bracket and attached it to the inside then attached all of the woodwork 3" towards the front onto the a/c unit via L brackets and then screwed that wood onto the frame support wood. So now its flush with the sill and is sturdier. Bonus...putting the couch back up against that wall where I want it heh.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Never roofed a house before either, so I hired a friend's son who does it for a living to help me. It was money well spent, as he always knew the good, better, and best way to do each step. Anytime during the roofing project that I had a question, he always had several ways to do it, and I picked what he said was the best.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Never roofed a house before either, so I hired a friend's son who does it for a living to help me. It was money well spent, as he always knew the good, better, and best way to do each step. Anytime during the roofing project that I had a question, he always had several ways to do it, and I picked what he said was the best.
I worked with my cousin doing some work on my brothers shop when he first bought it and wanted to raise the roof so he could put a lift in there. WOW did I learn something, 99% I have forgotten but every minute I was learning something from that cousin who had just retired after many decades of that work. It was amazing watching him and how he made things easier, that is the trick, any of us can pull off stuff like that eventually, they make it easy right? What is funny is how they make it easier in ways you just would never think of. Tiny little things, and they add up like crazy!

Brian
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

blocked out part of a 55 Chevy yesterday. The painter really hooks up the primer in the first round. Much better than Mr. Half coats(old painter). 3 coats of featherfill is plenty. Got to even block on it twice with 120. Gonna be straight as can be. The Cougar I'm working on is getting put together and buffed so I'll have some pics of that when it's done. In other news, the shop next door who gives us our work had a car show yesterday and had some photo shoots for some mags, so that will be cool to see my work in magazines.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Cold and miserable weather today, and decided I didn't need to be doing much on the car in the cold. So I just pulled the fuel lines off that I had mocked up, and made them all up permanent. Then prepped the tunnel ram and installed it too. Then stabbed the distributor in, and installed the Moon Equip. breathers on the valve covers. After that I closed things up and went back in the warm house!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Cold and miserable weather today, and decided I didn't need to be doing much on the car in the cold. So I just pulled the fuel lines off that I had mocked up, and made them all up permanent. Then prepped the tunnel ram and installed it too. Then stabbed the distributor in, and installed the Moon Equip. breathers on the valve covers. After that I closed things up and went back in the warm house!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Been working on my Pete to get it ready to sell.
I've had the parts to replace the suspension bushings on the shelf for 2 years but never got around to installing them.

Also swapped out the tracking bar.

You'd think on something this big, it would easy to work on but that was not a fun spot to work in.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Started mounting the fuel line on Stude frame. 1/2" aluminum with a few -8 black aluminum fittings. Black hose and black in line filter. Natural aluminum and black rubber clamp/mounts. Holley type 140 gph pump mounted at the tank. Enclosed in a length of 1/2" pipe at belhousing area..Regulator and -6 hose up front at carb mounting area. Need two more -8 black fittings, so far..

Started running brake lines. Master is on outside of frame rails and had to run brake lines tight, under master and frame and mount prop valve and residual valves on the inside of frame rail. Because of body mount location. Will need to fab a shield to protect exposed under frame brake lines. Enclosed brake lines in spring protector. Need more 3/16 fittings, lost the 3/16" double flare adapter thing..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

worked on getting the twin turbo iroc back on the road today, got one or 2 more days left of work

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« How cool is this | - »