Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,785 ·
There was just enough shop,time tonight to plug weld my pieces together. I took some pictures as I did it I can post over on my rust repair thread. I just could not make myself get up and get started today. At least I did a little.

John

Hey, it's Saturday. You deserve to rest up after working hard all week at being retired.....:D

Now that I'm not sitting on my butt, steerin' an gearin' a truck for 10 hours a day, my life is busier with more physical tasks and I'm more tired as a "retiree' than I was working....:rolleyes:

#4,791 ·
played basketball today and for a while been feeling old. I've been getting better with my handles but it hasn't resulted in more points. It has resulted in less turnovers and more assists, but still playing pretty good. Then the trees left and I took over the gym. I guess I haven't been giving credit enough to how the competition at the gym got a lot better. I'm hearing the Roseville 24 hr has been dead so we're getting those players at my gym now. A lot of college players, highschool, and a few d leaguers. High intense games and the guys that used to come that can't hang seem to come later now when it dies down-lol. I just go for it and am getting the ball a lot but know my role and have been dishing some pretty impressive passes and getting easy baskets by driving and dishing but haven't been too aggressive trying to score. Lots of fun.

After that I took my daughter to a nice lake and picked wild berries for her. She had a blast. No car stuff on the weekend til I get my car at the shop.

#4,792 ·
Yes "496CHEVY3100" I do understand. When your a kid...everything is exciting. We didn't have a television at home until I was about 9 years old...my Dad had one at his service station so, in order for my Mom to get a break from my older brother and me, we would spend some quality time with Dad at the B/A station on Sundays...I got to watch the Rifleman...Like I said, it was exciting.

Then I hit my teens, I was invincible, I knew everything, I was so smart...LOL.

Got to my 20's, lots of energy, got married and started a family.

In my 30's, I started to wonder where my money was going but, it's all worth it, I have great kids.

In my 40's, well, it's time to think of College and University so, some sacrifices needed to be made.

Now that I'm in my 50's and being fortunate enough to be able to do what I enjoy, I get up early (between 5 AM and 6 AM) on Saturday mornings and watch re-runs of the Rifleman while I work. Funny how it took 50 years but I've come full circle...most times the old episodes are new again, but, yesterday I remembered every last one. So, that's why Chuck Connors couldn't even motivate me yesterday.

And "BoothBoy", your suggestion would have definitely got me motivated and off my butt...how else could Chuck Connors have so strategically placed that Winchester?...LOL

Ray

#4,795 ·
And Mornin back at ya John, I actually felt guilty about going to the trouble of getting up early yesterday and not getting anything worthwhile or to be more specific, anything done that I promised myself I'd get done. So I tried it again today...So far, it looks like I'm going to get done what I wanted to get done yesterday. Maybe the thought of "Boothboy's" suggestion yesterday etched in my mind was the motivating factor here...LOL.

I love watching the "Andy Griffith Show", "496CHEVY3100", that's another one of those old nostalgic shows that brings back memories of a more simple time. Isn't it amazing how the shows that are now considered Classics still make you smile. I've often wondered why in today's 500 to a 1,000 channel cable TV offerings, I can't find F-Troop on anywhere. With Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker, always conniving with the Hacowie Indians. I remember belly laughing at that show in the 60's.

Well, it's back to work, you never know, "Boothboy" might be watching and packing...LOL

Ray

#4,797 ·
:thumbup:

I have an 11 lb spool of EZ Grind wire lying on the table right now. Have not put it on the welder yet. A couple of things here:

First, it has no WS Classification. (not rated by the Welder's society)

Second, it is unbelievably expensive regular spool of .024 wire is about 26 dollars. The EZ Grind is about 69 dollars.

I have had several people say they would not use it without a certification, One said it did not like rusty metal. Of course no MIG welder does.

I thought I would do a test. I will butt weld a couple of 2 inch wide strips of 18 ga metal with my regular wire before I take it off the machine and then weld a couple of pieces with the EZ Grind. Then I will bend them back and forth and see how many bends it takes for them to break. See where they break and of course compare grinding.

I will give you guys an update in a few days.

John

I would like that very much ,John I'm sure everyone would like to know about it...

#4,799 ·
I did not know that, that's very interesting. With his baseball and acting skills, he could have played, who was it...Buford Puser I think in Walking Tall. After "The Rifleman" he went on to play in another Western about a Civil war Soldier that got accused of being a coward and court marshaled. That series didn't last to long but I think it was called "Branded". I always liked the introduction of the show, he would be getting court marshaled, the commanding officer broke his sword and handed the stub back to Chuck. He kept the stub, turned it into a knife and fought off all the bad guys with it.

Oh the trivial trivia on a Sunday morning...LOL

Ray

#4,800 ·
I did not know that, that's very interesting. With his baseball and acting skills, he could have played, who was it...Buford Puser I think in Walking Tall. After "The Rifleman" he went on to play in another Western about a Civil war Soldier that got accused of being a coward and court marshaled. That series didn't last to long but I think it was called "Branded". I always liked the introduction of the show, he would be getting court marshaled, the commanding officer broke his sword and handed the stub back to Chuck. He kept the stub, turned it into a knife and fought off all the bad guys with it.

Oh the trivial trivia on a Sunday morning...LOL

Ray
Well here's another tidbit. Prier to his baseball career he played for the Celtics.

BB :thumbup::thumbup: