The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 242 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Any more empty houses out there ,I need to move some of my relatives ,,LOL.
The house across the street just went on the market David. Don't send your relatives though. You can move up here and get away from all of them. . We can share tool boxes. I also really need a neighbor with a heavy truck and a car trailer. (Doesn't everybody?)

John L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Just joking ,John ,but I would like to have a neighbor like you ,I don't think i could give up hillbilly living,LOL.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
They came around about 6 weeks ago here ,all they were looking for was gravity feed paint guns ,???
chemicals, chemical storage, disposal, VOC logs, toilet paper, etc-etc. I've witnessed these guys come around 4 agencies deep ready to add up the fines.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Nasty rainy, cold day. Started out on a bad note. Hit a deer at 6:00 am. Took out grille, hood and bumper of my Blazer.. Didn't do the deer any good either..

Finally got the old Hercules diesel together. Previous shop had mis-placed some important timing components..

A Perkins engine on a Vermeer trencher machine came in. Bad internal knock.
Also put in all new intake seats/valve job on a 5.7 Hemi. Re-man engine had dropped a valve seat at 800 miles. Salvaged the already .020" cylinder by boring it to .030". Had a bad scratch in it that just barely cleaned up. Head was scrap tho.. Had to find another casting.

No Stude work today..
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Any more empty houses out there ,I need to move some of my relatives ,,LOL.
Yeah, we've got a few, but prices are starting to rise now! The bargains are gone it seems.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

taught my daughter a word or two and now at 40 words at 16 months, more blocking, and then ended the day hitting the game winning three!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

Got a reprieve from the move today, so decided to just make up a few loose ends. Connected the hose lines at tank and fuel pump. Made up the front brake lines, and installed my pressure switch for brake lights. Installed my $1 swap meet gas door on the back of the car. Started chopping up the exhaust system to make it fit, but didn't get any welding done. Gave the newly dyed rear seat a couple coats of sealer. Man did the dye work great, and the seat looks like it was black since it was new! Not as shiny as the spray dye that didn't work; more natural.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Got a reprieve from the move today, so decided to just make up a few loose ends. Connected the hose lines at tank and fuel pump. Made up the front brake lines, and installed my pressure switch for brake lights. Installed my $1 swap meet gas door on the back of the car. Started chopping up the exhaust system to make it fit, but didn't get any welding done. Gave the newly dyed rear seat a couple coats of sealer. Man did the dye work great, and the seat looks like it was black since it was new! Not as shiny as the spray dye that didn't work; more natural.
Tell us a little more about this dye you are using if you don't mind.

John
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Tell us a little more about this dye you are using if you don't mind.

John
Sure John! It's called Eco-Flo, and sold at Tandy Leather. I was warned several times that they could not guarantee good results with it, as it's meant to dye raw leather, not pre-dyed leather.
Maybe I had good luck because I was going black, and black covered the tan so well. Or maybe it was because of all the work I had to do before dying the seats. I had unsuccessfully tried Duplicolor vinyl fabric dye, and as soon as I sat or knealt on the seat the color began to crack and flake. So after getting the dye, and the salesperson at Tandy telling me they didn't know how it would react to previous dyes or sealers, I began stripping the seat. My attempts with various cleaners didn't do well, so I got the hot stuff out and figured I had nothing to lose. Urethane reducer for thinning paint, and a scotchbrite pad. Lots of rubber gloves, as it seemed to soften them easily!
The reducer stripped the seats easily, turning the duplicolor into a liquid, which I wiped off with numerous rags as they filled with black mess. Once I had the seats back to bare tan again, I let them dry well overnight, and began applying the dye with a sponge (as the directions said) in circular motions. It took pretty nice the first coat, but a 2nd was needed to get them streak free. I gave them a third coat, but just because I had more dye.
After the seats set for a couple days I applied Eco-Flo conditioner sealer to the seats, and repeated a 2nd time after that dried. I used satin sealer, as I didn't want shiny leather. The seats looked great before the sealer, but without it they can be stained easily, so sealer closes the pores and makes them a bit more impervious, plus gives whatever sheen you pick for sealer. It's a carnauba wax base, so it can be buffed also later, if you want it a little shinier.
I'm putting new upholstery on my front seats, so I'm hoping the sheen matches, but if it's close it will be fine for the Falcon.
Here's the seat backrest. The hole on the top left is for the shoulder harness insert.:

Last edited by 1971BB427; 05-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
dinger (05-26-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Sure John! It's called Eco-Flo, and sold at Tandy Leather. I was warned several times that they could not guarantee good results with it, as it's meant to dye raw leather, not pre-dyed leather.
Maybe I had good luck because I was going black, and black covered the tan so well. Or maybe it was because of all the work I had to do before dying the seats. I had unsuccessfully tried Duplicolor vinyl fabric dye, and as soon as I sat or knealt on the seat the color began to crack and flake. So after getting the dye, and the salesperson at Tandy telling me they didn't know how it would react to previous dyes or sealers, I began stripping the seat. My attempts with various cleaners didn't do well, so I got the hot stuff out and figured I had nothing to lose. Urethane reducer for thinning paint, and a scotchbrite pad. Lots of rubber gloves, as it seemed to soften them easily!
The reducer stripped the seats easily, turning the duplicolor into a liquid, which I wiped off with numerous rags as they filled with black mess. Once I had the seats back to bare tan again, I let them dry well overnight, and began applying the dye with a sponge (as the directions said) in circular motions. It took pretty nice the first coat, but a 2nd was needed to get them streak free. I gave them a third coat, but just because I had more dye.
After the seats set for a couple days I applied Eco-Flo conditioner sealer to the seats, and repeated a 2nd time after that dried. I used satin sealer, as I didn't want shiny leather. The seats looked great before the sealer, but without it they can be stained easily, so sealer closes the pores and makes them a bit more impervious, plus gives whatever sheen you pick for sealer. It's a carnauba wax base, so it can be buffed also later, if you want it a little shinier.
I'm putting new upholstery on my front seats, so I'm hoping the sheen matches, but if it's close it will be fine for the Falcon.
Here's the seat backrest. The hole on the top left is for the shoulder harness insert.:
They look great! I have heard other bad reports on Duplicolor dye. The SEMS dyes have a good reputation and can be mixed by many paint suppliers. I have used them successfully on several occesions but the Tandy sounds interesting and your seats do indeed look good. Thanks for sharing.

John
Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Thursday and Friday it quit raining after 5 days of it. I had to catch up on yard work. Thursday, I mowed the 1 1/4 acre hay field and put down 150lbs of fertilizer so it will grow even faster !!
I did a root drench on 3 flowering crab trees to prevent Japanese beetles from eating them. I had already done the drench before the rain on our Linden that the beatles almost killed 2 years agao when they invaded our yard and 2 ash trees to prevent damage from the Emerald Ash Borer. Betweeen the deer, rabbits and insects, there's always something eating what we plant but they don't touch the native stuff that grows wild...well, except for the EAB, which came here thru Michigan and is non-native. They have devestated huge areas of ash trees in just a dozen years.
Friday the little woman took vaca and she went to a nursery for flowers to plant while I chased to the pete dealer for parts for the truck. In the afternoon, we planted 3 pots for the porch and a couple perennials in a raised bed, trimmed a broken dogwood and did a general clean-up around other perennial gardens.
Now it's back to overcast and waves of rain off and on again for the next 6 days. Feels like I moved to Washington/Oregon area lately...
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
They look great! I have heard other bad reports on Duplicolor dye. The SEMS dyes have a good reputation and can be mixed by many paint suppliers. I have used them successfully on several occesions but the Tandy sounds interesting and your seats do indeed look good. Thanks for sharing.

John
'
I have used SEM for years, even changing colors like white to black with spectacular results.

Brian
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Rain here as well...all this week pretty much. I also found out today that HR at work screwed up my data entry for the time off so guess what....didnt get paid this pay period. Going to have to borrow some money to get by until next period. Another job im just going to have to take over doing as well since fu cktards cant comprehend this either. Im a hair away from quitting as is sorry for the rant but this back deal is the last thing I needed and now other peoples monday details screwin me over....just hmmm.

My 2nd night back ended 2 hours ago and im hurting worse each day.. what did I get done today? Nothing I guess watching last stand with Arnie so ill have watching it done when its over lol.

The seats look real good though!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Yippee! Got our daughter moved today! She had lots of help, so we finished at noon today!
I ran home and started building up the 2.5" exhaust sytem for the Falcon. Only got one side tacked together, as my argon ran out. I think they shorted me, as it's only been a couple weeks, and I haven't welded that much. Stuck until Tue. now before I can do more than just tack the other side without gas.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 05-25-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I tore into my first holley 750. I don't remember 20 years ago the carb dip/cleaner being this weak..

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.