The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 243 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Friday I re-mocked up some billet hinges. Originally I did the rears and the old man did the fronts but there was issues with the pivot point on the front pushing the hood forward as it was opening and ripping off the rubber stop in the back with the back of the hood and also hitting the fender. So we had them shaved down at a machine shop so when it's mounted to the cowl it brings the pivot point back to where it can swing freely open. Thing is, now the shock cylinder is hitting the corner of the firewall and not allowing the hood to close. So now we have a few options... flip the shock around and shaved off a little bit of a bolt head, create identical grooves in the firewall to accommodate the shocks, or shim them. We are so close to sending it the car to the painter too. What a setback. All we had left was to check the hinges and fit again on the hood, skim the new firewall, and clean up the welds on the back side of the apron. Getting there. Should be our best work yet when it's finally done.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I tore into my first holley 750. I don't remember 20 years ago the carb dip/cleaner being this weak..

It wasn't, the old Gunk and Berryman chem dip have been regulated out by our gummit..
All you had to do was smell Chem dip once and you remember the smell your entire life. Potent stuff, but it actually cleaned..
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
It wasn't, the old Gunk and Berryman chem dip have been regulated out by our gummit..
All you had to do was smell Chem dip once and you remember the smell your entire life. Potent stuff, but it actually cleaned..
And it takes weeks to get the smell out of an apartment after an all night soak and clean on the kitchen table....
Old 05-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
I tore into my first holley 750. I don't remember 20 years ago the carb dip/cleaner being this weak..
It wasn't as weak 20 yrs. ago! Old carb cleaner was hot, and would immediately take the anodizing off the outside of carb bodies, and burn your skin if you left it on. Today's carb cleaner is almost oily, and more like diesel than carb cleaner.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
Quote:
It wasn't! Something else Uncle Sam has ruined. Carb cleaner and engine degreaser both.......

John
Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjusti View Post
Why is it necessary for insurance reasons for a house to be sided or painted? Curious because it is hurting us trying to find a home loan within our reasonable range. If its sided it raises it out of our range but if its not and even has been recently repainted it has to be repainted for insurance reasons again putting it out of comfortable price range. And the roof things kills it too with reroofing the house and have to het details on it because the city code allows 3 but no more. So once you find that out which is a pain because records arent kept only going off of memory you find out it already has 2 or 3 so soon an entire new roof not just a leveling roof redo would be in order.
If a home is not finished to code, it is still under construction and most of the time, has to be sold to a contractor or have a contract to finish. Banks used to skirt those issues but these days, they don't take the chance. If the home is signed off on the permit, then it is just a bank deal. Banks have been sued for everything they can be sued for lately with all the loan issues they have had, the homes have to be damn near perfect. A third party inspection may make it easier.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It wasn't! Something else Uncle Sam has ruined. Carb cleaner and engine degreaser both.......

John
I really have to wonder how a 28 oz can of degreaser in 1% of the garages in America make any damn difference! I mean, REALLY? 3M had a product for rubber where to make it slip into place like installing a window rubber on a late model car. This stuff was so damn awesome! It worked like a charm and then evaporated gone so the part wasn't slippery and move or something once it was installed. Yep, off the market had to be eliminated, REALLY? I tried to find it on the net back when this happened and was going to buy up a case or something for the future, couldn't find a single can! I have two, about half full and they are treated like gold.

Brian
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

That makes sense but I dont understand why it has to be done. I would think putting an alloy around flammable materials would be of a higher insurance risk same with paint even the eco friendly water based im sure are flammable under high temps. So now if you have a house its covered with paint and surrounded by metal/aluminum...the image I think of is a box spray painted then covered with foil used as a fire pit lol.

The only thing ive done today is adding two additional *lines* to the road in front of work cuz I was hurting bad after getting iff...
Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

Worked on plumbing the brakes, almost done. Need an adapter for the M/C rear port 1/2" invert to 3/16" invert line.. Went to three McParts stores to get the front/rear port adapters. Blank stares! Whats it in? "59 Studebaker with an aftermkt aluminum dual chamber !" bore master".. One poor girl just said "here look in these drawers"... Just standard stuff.. Big guy at another store says he'd never seen one before.. They all had the exact same inventory of fittings.
I had to re-use front fitting from an old core.. It was missing the rear adapter.. I'll have to wait till my "real" parts store opens tuesday..
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Finally got out there to do something on one of my projects, not much but a step closer to being completely done so I can forget about it.

I completely finished up the transfer seat. That is until I KNOW Steve can actually get in and out of the car, we don't know this as a sure thing, it's amazing but we don't know if he will actually be able to get in it. But once we know for sure I am going to custom paint the seat just for fun for him.

I then got into the trunk to finish it up, couldn't find the darn metal covers for the big holes they have in the floor (what in the heck are they there for I wonder?) so I had to make them, I know I will find the originals tomorrow, you all know how that is.

I then got the jack and all rounded up and the spare cleaned up and in there. I really need to restore the jack and parts but for this coming weekend (GoodGuys) it will have to look like crap. I'll get it done later. I thought I was going to have to trim the floor mat it was a real treat to pull it out of the box (been up in the rafters for 13 years!) and it was ready to install.

Brian

Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Tidy looking trunk Brian!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Put my newly dyed rear seat back in the Falcon. Then pulled the front buckets to recover. Lots of screws and pieces to hold these things together!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Finally got out there to do something on one of my projects, not much but a step closer to being completely done so I can forget about it.

I completely finished up the transfer seat. That is until I KNOW Steve can actually get in and out of the car, we don't know this as a sure thing, it's amazing but we don't know if he will actually be able to get in it. But once we know for sure I am going to custom paint the seat just for fun for him.

I then got into the trunk to finish it up, couldn't find the darn metal covers for the big holes they have in the floor (what in the heck are they there for I wonder?) so I had to make them, I know I will find the originals tomorrow, you all know how that is.

I then got the jack and all rounded up and the spare cleaned up and in there. I really need to restore the jack and parts but for this coming weekend (GoodGuys) it will have to look like crap. I'll get it done later. I thought I was going to have to trim the floor mat it was a real treat to pull it out of the box (been up in the rafters for 13 years!) and it was ready to install.

Brian

nice. when you gonna show us some real work?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
nice. when you gonna show us some real work?
Yeah really! I hear ya, I am dying to do something of more substance but if you are waiting around for Brian on Hotrodders to show you some of his real work, I suggest you go down to the local mall and look for a new life because yours is pretty funky.

Brian
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Tidy looking trunk Brian!
I am really getting to understand the guys who don't finish their cars off at all. I am sitting here looking at this trunk and trying to figure out how the heck am I going to put stuff in here without it sliding into the quarter panel! It sure as heck can't stay stock in here if I am going to drive this car at all. I need to put some shields against the quarters on the inside so nothing dents the quarter! Geeeez,I don't have to worry about this with the Rambler! What is really funny is this car is MILES from a "show car". It really isn't that nice, yet it is nice enough that I get all freaked out parking it and walking away, you know what I mean? And it's kinda ticking me off because it ISN'T that nice, but now getting it on the road it's freaking me out a little. I guess I have to wait for that first scratch or something to lighten up. I don't know what I am going to do in the trunk, I am thinking just a piece of dense foam tucked into the quarters. I have a foam place near by I need to go by there and see if they have something like inch thick dense black foam.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.