Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,861 ·
try the norton blaze flap disks if you get a chance. They make really good 3" rolocs too. They are bright orange.
Ditto on the Norton Blaze, at least the orange 50 grit Rolocs.

Those Blaze flap discs are in Norton's industrial (not automotive) catalog and sound like they are ceramic-based.

Our re-engineered Norton Blaze R980P ceramic flap discs with their improved Y-weight polyester backing and better base adhesion, have exceptional grain retention resulting in 30% longer life our original Norton Blaze discs. Highest Productivity – Lowest Total Grinding Costs. Last 50% to 200% longer than any flap disc on stainless steel, cobalt, chrome, inconel, titanium and other hard-to-grind materials.

Attachments

#4,862 ·
try the norton blaze flap disks if you get a chance. They make really good 3" rolocs too. They are bright orange.
I will give it a try, this one is SERIOUSLY impressive. I don't know if I got it at HF or my local hardware store. If it's HF I am going to buy a box of them!

Brian

#4,864 ·
Once I was done with the hitch, I needed a panel for the electric plug. None of the ready made ones would work for this application so I took a page out of John L's book and bent a piece of 20 gauge sheet.

Used a hole saw and self drilling screws to mount the receiver plug.

Quick trip thru the blasting cabinet.

Painted it with the same paint as the hitch and put it on.

MANY hours later of getting all the wiring together, I now have a functional hitch with electric brakes and 12v power to charge the on-board battery going down the road. This is what all the work has been for...going to Kool Deadwood Nights next week....

#4,865 ·
Ditto on the Norton Blaze, at least the orange 50 grit Rolocs.

Those Blaze flap discs are in Norton's industrial (not automotive) catalog and sound like they are ceramic-based.
hmmmmmmm... maybe they don't make them for auto body anymore. I recall buying a couple singles at the local paint supply place. He's also the guy that got me turned onto the blaze rolocs. We never looked back since. the only drawback is they aren't flexible with your 1" backing pad. I like to have two die Grinders one with a 3" and one that flexes, and those don't flex very well, but they are awesome anyways.

#4,866 ·
Once I was done with the hitch, I needed a panel for the electric plug. None of the ready made ones would work for this application so I took a page out of John L's book and bent a piece of 20 gauge sheet.

MANY hours later of getting all the wiring together, I now have a functional hitch with electric brakes and 12v power to charge the on-board battery going down the road. This is what all the work has been for...going to Kool Deadwood Nights next week...

That will be grear this fall TMP. I like it a lot.

A buddy of mine gave me a 1 inch thick piece of Phenolic material so I made a spacer for the flathead in the roadster with the help of another friend.

I also finished welding up the a pillar mounts for the BelAir conv. It has been a long time since Rusy didn't have a jack stand under one or both of the A pillars.

#4,867 ·

MANY hours later of getting all the wiring together, I now have a functional hitch with electric brakes and 12v power to charge the on-board battery going down the road. This is what all the work has been for...going to Kool Deadwood Nights next week....

Looking extreamly good!!!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#4,868 ·
A buddy of mine gave me a 1 inch thick piece of Phenolic material so I made a spacer for the flathead in the roadster with the help of another friend.

I also finished welding up the a pillar mounts for the BelAir conv. It has been a long time since Rusy didn't have a jack stand under one or both of the A pillars.

Car looks great sitting on all 4 paws without help....:cool:

Is the spacer a heat insulator or "performance" part...:D

#4,869 ·
Car looks great sitting on all 4 paws without help....:cool:

Is the spacer a heat insulator or "performance" part...:D
Yes it is for insulation. Last month the car did not want to start hot. I ordered a new intake gasket, carb kit and made this insulator. I am also going to block off the heat risers.

I really want to drive the car to my buddies church show saturday and to the Sonic on Monday. Then I am going to tear it down. It shouldn't be a big deal with the flathead but I am going to go ahead and adjust the valves while the intake is off.

John

#4,870 ·
Yes it is for insulation. Last month the car did not want to start hot. I ordered a new intake gasket, carb kit and made this insulator. I am also going to block off the heat risers.

I really want to drive the car to my buddies church show saturday and to the Sonic on Monday. Then I am going to tear it down. It shouldn't be a big deal with the flathead but I am going to go ahead and adjust the valves while the intake is off.

John

Do you think it is vapor locking after getting hot or starving for fuel to keep it from starting

I boughta electric boost pump from car quest Tuesday it only runs 2.5 to 4 psi so I can run it in line with my stock pump

,i am also running a return line with a 4 psi regulator in the return line to keep the pressure at 4 psiif it tries to go above that anount the regulator will open to keep from over feuling the carbs since the holleys will unseat the needle off the seat if above that,

don't remember which carb you have I think wcfb carter ,as I renember they had well plugs under the bottom like a Qjet that would leak the fuel into the intake after turning off engine hot ,somestimes flooding the engine or leaking the fuel out the bowl would have to turn the engine long enough to fill bowl before it would start,

Just a thought,,might not have any to do with your problem,,:thumbup:

#4,871 ·
Nothing on the truck tonight other than a little planning. I cleaned up the Gran Sport for a great local show that I enjoy in a little old town near by. So it's all spiffed up and we are ready for the sun to come up tomorrow. Then I am off to my daughter-in-law's 30th birthday party.

Brian

#4,874 ·
I'm not sure. The old painter got booted and maybe the work with it. They won't tell me if so cause that's kind of where I get my kick so to speak. Then again, there's been talk of getting Demarcus Cousins' car. They have it next door and I'm hoping we get it. I'll have my pen ready for his autograph if so. I'm trying to figure out what's going on cause that's a major draw to be here. I hope not cause the work got better once we had a painter open to put more primer on the cars. Blocking the old painter's primer was like cross training in The AZ desert.

#4,875 ·
Do you think it is vapor locking after getting hot or starving for fuel to keep it from starting

I boughta electric boost pump from car quest Tuesday it only runs 2.5 to 4 psi so I can run it in line with my stock pump

,i am also running a return line with a 4 psi regulator in the return line to keep the pressure at 4 psiif it tries to go above that anount the regulator will open to keep from over feuling the carbs since the holleys will unseat the needle off the seat if above that,

don't remember which carb you have I think wcfb carter ,as I renember they had well plugs under the bottom like a Qjet that would leak the fuel into the intake after turning off engine hot ,somestimes flooding the engine or leaking the fuel out the bowl would have to turn the engine long enough to fill bowl before it would start,

Just a thought,,might not have any to do with your problem,,:thumbup:
It appears to be flooding hot. It is a WCFB and I suspect it is boiling when you shut the engine off. There is fuel stain around the vent holes on the top of the carb but the engine is not loading up. I suspect the floats may be just a little high and this new gas is boiling on this aluminum intake.

I have been wanting to plug the heat risers anyway.

John.

The show today was small but good.

Attachments

#4,876 ·
Went to an annual church show today. It's always a great one, and I don't know how the church makes a dime considering what they give. We paid $15, but got a free T shirt, lunch, drinks, and ice cream. Plus a raffle ticket for a chance to win prizes. I won a $25 gift certificate to a fancy restaurant the wife and I have thought about trying. We've avoided it because the meals are spendy, and the $25 might not cover one person. But now we'll give it a try and see what all the talk is about! It's also a nice drive up into the hills to Stone Cliff, so great for an afternoon ride in the hotrods too!

#4,878 ·
car show

had a great day saturday at the 41st annual Downeast street rod car show, about 350 cars. beautiful day here in maine. put in some new ngk iridium plugs that should be hotter than the AC delco rapidfire #7's. car ran pretty good there and back. About 3 hours of driving. today back to replacing the old clapboards on my house with new ones. tiring of painting and peeling clapboards every couple of years.

#4,879 ·
Spent all spare time last week at "Back to the bricks" and saturday at Woodward cruise.

Today I got to the toy shop about noon. Decided to bend up some roll bar tubing. The main hoop is from Summit clearance, but the support tubes have to be bent. The Lark has a Coke bottle type frame so the supports have to be bent inward around the front of the seats. To fasten directly to the frame.

Mild steel 1/8" wall tubing. Just tack welded for now. Will finish weld after the body is on.. 8 point right now. Probably add some more bar support later.

Attachments

#4,880 ·
Still working on the '38, getting it ready for South Dakota this week. Forecast is for upper 80's to 90's. I decided to finish hooking up the A/C. I bought a hose crimper from NAPA and was doing OK until it came time to tighten the #10 nuts at the bulkhead under the dash. The nuts are 1 1/16th !!! My wrench is over a foot long and doesn't come close to fitting under there. I looked for a crowsfoot but couldn't find one in stock local so I made one. Cut it out of 1/4" AR 400 with the plasma.

This is were it needed to go...

All done and ready for charging.