Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#4,882 ·
Just spent the day at the local cruise. Nice little cruise, in a small community. Best part was the shops to look at, and the old time music provided by a couple young twin girls who sang the oldies very well indeed! We had fun, and ran into a fella I'd spoken to a month ago at the Wed. night cruise/drags at Beaches. He told me about his dream to build a Falcon gasser, also with Chevy power like mine. Well today he showed me pictures of his '62 Falcon he found last week, and it was great to see his excitement as he explained plans for the build!
Probably one of my most enjoyable experiences is visiting with people who are excited about the hobby we have, and as excited about building their dream, as I am!

#4,883 ·
Yesterday I reinstalled the 3 wheel cylinders I rebuilt so far. I haven't pulled one, the passenger rear one, yet. Went pretty smooth. Have to finish the driver's side rear shoes install then move onto the passenger side. Maybe wednesday I will work on the driver's side. I also did a little reworking of my welding cart. Have it set up sort of like I want. Will need to get some hardware and finish it up maybe next month.

Friday I got my 5 dollar leaf blower working. Got it at an auction around the end of the year for 5 bucks and I think I got my money's worth cleaning off the driveway after mowing. Just hadn't needed to mess with it till now. Looks real dirty on the outside, but both the plug and the carb looked pretty clean. Wish my weedeater started that easy.

#4,886 ·
Spent all spare time last week at "Back to the bricks" and saturday at Woodward cruise.

Today I got to the toy shop about noon. Decided to bend up some roll bar tubing. The main hoop is from Summit clearance, but the support tubes have to be bent. The Lark has a Coke bottle type frame so the supports have to be bent inward around the front of the seats. To fasten directly to the frame.

Mild steel 1/8" wall tubing. Just tack welded for now. Will finish weld after the body is on.. 8 point right now. Probably add some more bar support later.

Great job Bob ,I will try to build a cage in my next truck ,noticed I said try. cant in this one as the truck I am working on now has already painted inside

#4,889 ·
Hmmm.......I've never tried sliced bread with secks. Does it matter if it's whole wheat or white....:mwink:
It really doesn't matter. Either way, the worst I ever had was wonderfull. :thumbup:

Worked on the surf board today..LOL

We don't have a lot of really old surfers here for some reason,:D
I think I understand why. :D

John

#4,890 ·
So tonight I broke out the jewelers torch and had at it. The re-learning curve is a steep mutha! I haven't welded something like that in 30+ years and haven't gas welded at all in about 20. So I did quite a few tacks before I realized that they were brittle, too much oxygen damn it. But it is shaping up pretty good. Got some lumpies and waves but I'll be able to work them out. It's staying pretty nice actually taking my time and keeping it under control.

My camera has taken a dump so this is as good as it gets.

Brian

#4,892 ·
So tonight I broke out the jewelers torch and had at it. The re-learning curve is a steep mutha! I haven't welded something like that in 30+ years and haven't gas welded at all in about 20. So I did quite a few tacks before I realized that they were brittle, too much oxygen damn it. But it is shaping up pretty good. Got some lumpies and waves but I'll be able to work them out. It's staying pretty nice actually taking my time and keeping it under control.

My camera has taken a dump so this is as good as it gets.

Brian

Fantastic! It is good to see it coming together. Please fix the camera though:)

I know we are selfish but we need to see this......

John

#4,893 ·
I woke up this morning with a very sick feeling.....I used mig wire as filler rod. Is this going to cause me trouble with those welds? I don't know, is this the reason I found them to be brittle? I felt that when I corrected my flame it was ok, but is it? I need to do some home work on this, yeow! I could hate to have to cut that out, but such is life.

Brian

#4,894 · (Edited)
In talking to my adviser at work I feel ok now about my welds using he MIG wire. :D
My big issue now is to define my glasses, goggles, hammer and dolly, welding technique. I can not believe how friggin blind I have gotten, HOLY CRAP! I switched from my bifocals to prescription reading glasses to store bought magnification reading glasses back to the bifocals, CRAP. With the bifocals I had to put the goggles down over my nose so I could view it properly!:p With the store bought I had to get literally 6 inches away! :drunk: And then I was taking it all off every time to planish the weld. So tonight I am going to try to planish with the goggles on, get a little more light on the subject or something. But man, this is the biggest problem with the gas welding so far.

Brian

#4,895 ·
Today was a bust as far as the '53 goes. 15 minutes or so making the flange that goes on the LH rocker box that the outer rocker panel connects to.

The weather was absolutely perfect for the Sonic cruise tonight. Barb went with me and that was the icing on the cake. Good night. :)

John

#4,896 ·
Today was a bust as far as the '53 goes. 15 minutes or so making the flange that goes on the LH rocker box that the outer rocker panel connects to.

The weather was absolutely perfect for the Sonic cruise tonight. Barb went with me and that was the icing on the cake. Good night. :)

John
Hmmmm..... that's strange, Barb was here all night....:confused:

Amazing how 2 patient women that put up with US types have the same name too....:cool:

#4,897 ·
I honestly wonder some times. I am out in the garage making noise and my sweet wife comes out stands there until I see her because I couldn't hear here calling me and tells me my dinner is ready. I am telling you, I am blessed.

Brian

#4,899 ·
Wow, am I beat. Today was a roadster day. I pulled the intake and ran the valves. If I had lay down and turn the engine by hand one more time I believe I would just have to stay on the floor. Flatheads are usually very quiet engines but I had set my valves a little looser than they needed. So I reset them today. Tomorrow I am going to replace the float seat, accelerator pump and set the floats in the WCFB. Then imstall a phenolic spacer under it and block off the heat risers.

This is all based on the assumption I can get out of the bed. :drunk:

John