The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 247 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
Awesome John! What kind of build are you planning? If you are going to be getting rid of any original parts I will be wanting them. I mean anything, keep me in mind. What a great project that is going to be.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,210 Posts
Thanks Brian. I was so excited about my own good news I failed to tell you how good your wheel well trim looks. 1971bb, your Falcom is really coming along. The bottom of those rockers really look solid. I am jealous. Keep up the good work.

Brian, I am going to build a 50ís cruiser. Smooth V8 (327, 350 or 396 or 402BB built stock) with a 4 speed, power steering and brakes. I love my roadster but this one is going to be a highway car. As far as take off parts goes I will certainly keep you in mind. Is there something in particular you are looking at? The only thing I can think of that would have any value at all might be the engine. From what I understand the 235 engines that were installed in the 53 powerglide cars were full oil pressure. At this point I assume the engine is stuck but I don't really know. If not stuck someone may be interested in seeing what kind of shape it is in.

This car has been in a barn that apparently had damp floors. The floors are absolutely gone from the firewall to the rear tail pan. Lots of metal work ahead. The patch panels to fix this car would be around 3000 dollars. I am anxious to see how much I can build myself to save some of that expense. As you guys know I am pretty cheap.....Make that frugal. That sounds a lot better.

John
Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

I will be looking for emblems, chrome trim, wiring components, any original parts really, exhaust hangers, anything.

Brian
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I will be looking for emblems, chrome trim, wiring components, any original parts really, exhaust hangers, anything.

Brian
Don't you dare tell me you are going to build a Rat Rod

John
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

NOOOOOOOO, I need original parts from the early fifties for my truck. I am not going to bolt a thing on there that is after 53-54 I am going to cheat with the 55 rear end but other than that 53 or so is the limit. It is going to be a 53 Motorama car.

Brian
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
NOOOOOOOO, I need original parts from the early fifties for my truck. I am not going to bolt a thing on there that is after 53-54 I am going to cheat with the 55 rear end but other than that 53 or so is the limit. It is going to be a 53 Motorama car.

Brian
That will be cool. I suspect that anything that comes off this car is beyond using but I certainly will set things aside. I can post pictures and PM you to see if you can use it.

I started a new album in Photobug to document the build. I have not been this excited in a long time about working on something. I wonder what kind of an axle would be narrow enough and give me a 3.08 rear gear or there abouts.

John L
Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

Even stuff that is not usable, email me a photo or something because I may want it. Simply for set up or to see if it would work for me and then I would hunt down a nicer one. But oh yeah baby, the dash knobs, if you are going to change them, that is one thing I have been thinking about, changing all mine over to those. I have a bunch of interior chrome mouldings off door panels from a 52 that I may use, you know what I mean, just about any thing I would be interested in at least looking into using it.

My theme for the truck is going to be this truck is Harley Earl's personal truck that he brought into the GM styling studio and had them do a few things, sort of the first "Cameo".

Brian
Old 05-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Good for you John im glad you found what you wanted a convertible is always a nice build.might have some parts you need.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Good for you John im glad you found what you wanted a convertible is always a nice build.might have some parts you need.

That is going to be one sweet ride huh? What a beautiful mix of a vintage car and a more modern design for comfort.

Brian
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Check this link http://crankshaftcoalition.com wheelbase%2c-trackwidth

I posted it and it would not pull up when I clicked on it ,so I removed it and placed it like this..i can type this in and it works.

or type in track width on GM cars ,it will take you directly there.

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-31-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Congradulations John! Start hunting for that 45 record changer now! I'm seeing it dark metallic blue (but not to dark) Lowered , Smitty's and Bells . Shortened windshield, top down, arm out the window. Good for you!

BB

Oh Yeah! Don't forget that sh**ing grin on your mug!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Even stuff that is not usable, email me a photo or something because I may want it. Simply for set up or to see if it would work for me and then I would hunt down a nicer one. But oh yeah baby, the dash knobs, if you are going to change them, that is one thing I have been thinking about, changing all mine over to those. I have a bunch of interior chrome mouldings off door panels from a 52 that I may use, you know what I mean, just about any thing I would be interested in at least looking into using it.

My theme for the truck is going to be this truck is Harley Earl's personal truck that he brought into the GM styling studio and had them do a few things, sort of the first "Cameo".

Brian
Brian you vision sound very interesting indeed! Perhaps think "Y Job".

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
That will be cool. I suspect that anything that comes off this car is beyond using but I certainly will set things aside. I can post pictures and PM you to see if you can use it.

I started a new album in Photobug to document the build. I have not been this excited in a long time about working on something. I wonder what kind of an axle would be narrow enough and give me a 3.08 rear gear or there abouts.

John L
Damn, for a Ford guy, you have good taste in a Chevy...
I hear ya on "frugal" but it is a lot faster and easier to work with preformed panels.....just sayin'....

I asked about rear axle widths for my '38 on here and got some dims. Don't remember exactly but some 2 wheel drive S10/15 axles, 72-74 Nova 8.5 and Camaro 8.5. At some point in the mid seventies, Gm angled the spring mounts in slightly, especially on the second gen Camaros and the springs don't line up quite right. I have an axle out of a 74 Nova and noticed they are angled. I'm going to "modify" the mounts slightly to get the spring to sit straight. If I can't, then I will cut them off and reweld.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Brian you vision sound very interesting indeed! Perhaps think "Y Job".

BB
It's fun because you have an artistic freedom, but limited to what THEY would have done. It is going to be pretty mild, don't want to go too crazy but then I may get more crazy as I go. The thing is it isn't one bit less creative with the "less is more" thought, it will be modified on every friggin part, most people just won't see it.

I have been studying the Motorama and GM styling studio of the period for years so I have a pretty good idea of what they would have done and that is exactly what I plan on doing.

Brian
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks a lot David. I am beside myself I am so excited. The owner and I went back and forth over a week. I really wanted the car but it was just too much money. I think we finally struck a deal that we are both ok with.

Quote:
Check this link http://crankshaftcoalition.com wheelbase%2c-trackwidth

I posted it and it would not pull up when I clicked on it ,so I removed it and placed it like this..i can type this in and it works.

or type in track width on GM cars ,it will take you directly there.
That is really a neat site. I can't believe I have not been there before. If any of you guys have not visited it I would strongly encourage you. Thanks again David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Damn, for a Ford guy, you have good taste in a Chevy...
I hear ya on "frugal" but it is a lot faster and easier to work with preformed panels.....just sayin'....

I asked about rear axle widths for my '38 on here and got some dims. Don't remember exactly but some 2 wheel drive S10/15 axles, 72-74 Nova 8.5 and Camaro 8.5. At some point in the mid seventies, Gm angled the spring mounts in slightly, especially on the second gen Camaros and the springs don't line up quite right. I have an axle out of a 74 Nova and noticed they are angled. I'm going to "modify" the mounts slightly to get the spring to sit straight. If I can't, then I will cut them off and reweld.
How do you think 54 Merc grill will look in her? Just kidding but 53 or not, I'll bet you a dime to a donut she will look like a 54 chevy from the rear.

Quote:
It's fun because you have an artistic freedom, but limited to what THEY would have done. It is going to be pretty mild, don't want to go too crazy but then I may get more crazy as I go. The thing is it isn't one bit less creative with the "less is more" thought, it will be modified on every friggin part, most people just won't see it.

I have been studying the Motorama and GM styling studio of the period for years so I have a pretty good idea of what they would have done and that is exactly what I plan on doing.

Brian
When this "Ford Guy" built his '57 Olds I found some interior trim in a friends shop. Don't even know what it came off of but it mimicked the Olds trim so I used it in the interior. I just love doing things like that.

I really appreciated the kind words from everyone. I have never painted a car resale red but I think this old girl is going to have to be red with a white belair stripe. It looks like I am going to have to ask Barry K for a chip or spray out of the SPI red base coat. I think, if I like the color, I am going to this with all SPI products. I really liked their Epoxy and Barry is just such a pleasure to do business with.

I had better quit before I embarrass him.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.