The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 250 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
did you notice the captions on 53 pictures .lol ..As Flip Wilson said ,The Devil made me do it,.
Not sure what I am missing. Went back but still missing it.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
I dug into my truck parts, I need to find the cab mounts before I can do anything so I went looking for them and came up empty handed. Ok, still got a few more boxes. But I also started cleaning out the Gran Sport extra parts from some little drawer holders for small parts and put in the truck ones, door lock cylinders and misc bolts and crap like that. I needed to take the ignition switch out of it's bracket and used the clutch head screw driver I bought in 1978 to work on my truck. It cracks me up to pull out this tool and use it on the truck once again.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Thought you guys may get a kick out of my fabrication project from when I was about 18 or 19. I came across this in my cleaning up tonight. The water and oil pressure gauges on these trucks were mechanical and the sending units always got cut off. So I didn't have a water temp gauge in the cluster that worked. I got a SW gauge from a car at the wreckers and made a recessed area in the back of the cluster. I cut the front of the original gauge and glued it to the face of the SW. With the cluster bezel on it looked perfectly original........well, except that it was backwards! But I knew what was what and it worked fine for me for many years. Kinda hack, but it worked!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-02-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
For once being very frugal (gee I love that word) worked out really well for me. I bought an 8 circuit Quick Wire fuse block at a swap meet. It was very well made, included the horn relay and the turn/hazard relays and 8 fuses all wired to a terminal strip. I then contacted Rebel Wire who made me up a package of the wiring for the circuits I needed. They were labeled every 6 inches and color coded to GM color codes. I just love the way this worked out. No loose or extra wires everything terminated to a terminal strip and all wires color coded and labeled. All for about 130 dollars.

I don't see why other manufacturers don't use a terminal strip. Yes, it does give a point of possible service issues but it also gives you a great place to trouble shoot from. JMHO.

I would not hesitate to recommend Rebel Wire. They are a small company here in Tennessee but they were very accommodating and reasonably priced.

John
I used a NW Autowire 12 ckt. universal kit for the Austin, and also made up harnesses to connect that kit to the rear tailight area, front lights, and engine. I figured out what I needed for wires, and added one more to each harness. Made up a diagram of what wires were connected to, and then terminated them at the under dash area once they were terminated at their final points.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I bought a small boat trailer for at the cabin and one of the hubs was strange. I bought a replacement hub but the spindle was too short, so I bought a spindle too. This is what I cut off.
I had a boat trailer like that years ago and put a beautiful tear drop body on it that I picked up somewhere (don't remember now) it was made after WWII by an aircraft mechanic and had parts from war birds on it! NO KIDDING I crap now thinking about it, damn it! I was at a B-17 a few years after I sold it and there was the very distinctive tear dropped shaped handle on the crew hatch door! And also there was a B-24 and the light that was in my trailer was the bombay light in it! Wish I had it today, it was super well made. But I ran it on that trailer for a while then made an axle and ran 15 inch wheels.

Brian

Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

I needed to see my youngest daughter to help her out a bit. Her Marine husband is doing a 3rd tour and just got back to the US. but not home. She is going to give me a second grandson real soon..

I decided that a trip across the state was due about now. I've been having med problems and didn't feel like driving the 130 miles.. Checked the airlines and bout dropped the phone! over $500.00. Didn't want to ride the hound, so I checked with the train last night. Haden't ridden one since I was a kid.

AMTRAK.. Leaves locally at 7 am, gets to my destination at 10 am. Great! cost $16.00,,, can't be! but it was.. Return trip leaves7 pm and arrives locally at 10 pm.. $18.50 plus I get another 15 percent off for being over 62 years..

So this morning I got on the Blue Lakes Express and off I went, in relative comfort.. Mostly college kids and some of them "old people".

Had a good time, tried to diagnose her 300 thousand mile Jeep.. It's just plain tired..

Got home tonight at a good hour..

Only real bad thing about the trip was seeing all the abandoned manufacturing plants, employee parking lots with six foot weeds reclaiming the pavement and dead rail sidings..

Didn't get to see Tony Tiger or Snap/Crackle/Pop in Battle Creek, like when I took the trip in the sixties. But did see where they hang out!

Back to car stuff this week..
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

High Calibre

Today was "mow the lawn (again)" day. Driving around with the garden tractor.

I even went into an area that I don't mow as often as I probably should

As I went along there was a humongous BANG!.
Stop & back up.
A brand new mole hill, complete with stones on it, had been hiding in the grass. Grrrr!!!!

Then, later, I noticed something very interesting. A couple of weeks ago, in cleaning up in my shop, I had come across an old Group 27 Deep-Cycle battery from a previous RV. It was VERY dead, so I hauled it outta the shop and had put it on top of a stump to keep it outta the way until I could take it to the battery recycle place.

It was no-longer there.

The rock I had hit with the mower had knocked that heavy battery clean off the stump and it had landed about 4 feet away!

Holy Bat, Crapman! There was a LOT of kinetic energy in that rock!

Wonder how much damage I did to a blade or two on the mower deck?. Gonna have to "have a boo" it it tomorrow
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I had a boat trailer like that years ago and put a beautiful tear drop body on it that I picked up somewhere (don't remember now) it was made after WWII by an aircraft mechanic and had parts from war birds on it! NO KIDDING I crap now thinking about it, damn it! I was at a B-17 a few years after I sold it and there was the very distinctive tear dropped shaped handle on the crew hatch door! And also there was a B-24 and the light that was in my trailer was the bombay light in it! Wish I had it today, it was super well made. But I ran it on that trailer for a while then made an axle and ran 15 inch wheels.

Brian

I just bought one of these to pull with the '38. An used 2010. Gonna plan a Route 66 trip next summer. I may go to Cool Deadwood Nights this year with it. Next step is to get a hitch on the '38. I took it to a local hitch shop but they won't build one because the fuel tank is under the trunk floor and it's really tight. Guess I need to build a hitch myself...

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Love it. Do you think it will be to hot to sleep in?

John
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:

John
It has roof A/C...
Completely self-contained. Range, fridge, microwave, toilet, shower, water heater. I'm looking at small generators now. I need to read the power requirements for the A/C to know how many watts to get.

I may have to get to CA via TN...
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

John

LOL, when I first got mine John it was a flat dark green, owned by a duck hunter. My wife and I used it a few times and it was HOT holy crap! I painted it white and that made a big difference. But it was still hot inside being it had no installation. It was made like an air plane fuselage, damn I wish I had it now.

Brian
Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I just bought one of these to pull with the '38. An used 2010. Gonna plan a Route 66 trip next summer. I may go to Cool Deadwood Nights this year with it. Next step is to get a hitch on the '38. I took it to a local hitch shop but they won't build one because the fuel tank is under the trunk floor and it's really tight. Guess I need to build a hitch myself...

That looks like a nice little trailer. I have a "Boler" which was a Canadian made trailer which now is made here and called a "Scamp".

Mine looks just like this, though not as nice being I haven't used it in 10 years and now it's holding boxes of junk in my back yard.

boler camper - Google Search

Brian
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Update on my '35 build

Here are a few pictures of my Lizardskin/Dynamat install-I ran out of Lizaredskin (and ordered more this morning)-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liz #13.jpg (1.59 MB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Liz #14.jpg (1.44 MB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Liz #3.jpg (1.06 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Liz #8.jpg (1.44 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Liz #9.jpg (1.56 MB, 26 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

We'll try a few on Photobucket (to see if they come up)-

Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

OK, I give up (I am an idiot when it comes to uploading photos on a Thread)-I took a week off of Work and installed a new Concept One Serpentine Belt System (with modifications) on my 540, then I masked and sprayed Lizardskin (and partially Dynamatted my Interior-I ran out of Dynamat (I reordered enough to finish this morning)-

If you would like to see some full sized pictures, take a look in my Project Journal-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 06-03-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Trivia thread | - »