Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#5,003 ·
Stude body is now all bolted to the chassis. Cut holes in floor for roll bar. Fits great. Had to shorten the front down tubes about 1 1/2" to allow for better leg/seat room where the frame tucks under to the front floor.

Installed seats and rear side panels in, temporary. Cleaned up stock instruments and fed all the dash wiring leads thru the firewall. New rubber grommets and some new tape re-wind on the wiring. Trying to look stock..

#5,005 ·
Looking GREAT John, WHOO HOOOO!

I have been working so many hours I haven't touched my truck in over a week! Damn, today I went and got a motor for my son's project, a Lotus Sevenish home built car. It's a 2300 Ford (we don't want to call it a "Pinto" motor. :D ) and tranny that was about free so I got it for him for chores. I had to start a project thread even though this will be a long time coming. But with the motor the project has begun figured I would start one.

Brian

#5,006 ·

I have been working so many hours I haven't touched my truck in over a week! Damn, today I went and got a motor for my son's project, a Lotus Sevenish home built car. It's a 2300 Ford (we don't want to call it a "Pinto" motor. :D ) and tranny that was about free so I got it for him for chores. I had to start a project thread even though this will be a long time coming. But with the motor the project has begun figured I would start one.

Brian

That is good. the engine was the best thing about a Pinto except for the suspension. :thumbup:

John

#5,007 ·

Brian

Price sounds right/good.

I didn't do as much today. Did some running around and buying stuff today and yesterday. Got tubing for bleeding the brakes. Also picked up some 1/2 impact extensions from tractor supply for 6.99 for a set of 3, 6, and 8 inchers. Got the stuff to change mom's oil. Wix filter and walmart brand oil. About all I did in the garage was clean up the wheel cylinder a little more. Almost ready to rebuild it. Maybe tomorrow.

#5,010 ·
Spent a big chunk of the day getting stuff ready for my club's annual run tomorrow.

The Sunday of the Labour Day ("Labor Day" for those in the US!) weekend - every year for 35 years. Tomorrow is our 35th and will be our last. We are a small club, with about 15-20 members in total, of which about 6 are "active members" in any year.

None of us are getting younger, the Fountain of Youth has not yet appeared, and it is just getting to be too much.

Today I loaded my pickup with some of the stuff we will need tomorrow - including a couple of generators (plus gas) extension cords, a huge blackboard for posting winning numbers for door prizes, traffic cones, tally sheets (for adding up number of votes for people's choice), etc.

The group was over here on Tues nite to staple together entry tix, entry forms, rules, and "competitor's choice" ballots to be handed out to all entrants.

Our checklist is all checked off, and we are going to be at the park at 7:30 AM to welcome about 300-400 cars.

#5,012 ·
Pretty much finished the 2nd row body mounts. Have to quit for now and wire up new TV modem, stereo, dvd player etc. Not looking forward to it.

John
I've never really thought about floor braces until you started the '53 project. Always looked at them as some little stamped steel part, but after seeing how much hand fab work it takes to produce perfect copies, I have a whole new appreciation for them! They truly are works of art John!

#5,013 ·
I got out in the garage and was welding today..

Things are going very well and it's just fun damn it! Then my wife comes running out to tell me my daughter is at the hospital, at 4 centimeters and the doctor just broke her water! She is two hours away so we are heading off to see my grandson, oh yeah and my daughter too!

Brian

#5,015 ·

Things are going very well and it's just fun damn it! Then my wife comes running out to tell me my daughter is at the hospital, at 4 centimeters and the doctor just broke her water! She is two hours away so we are heading off to see my grandson, oh yeah and my daughter too!

Brian
I was already thinking about replying to your post before I got to the the baby coming. The work on the top is just awesome. You certainly will not have to spend the time grinding welds like I have.

I know the truck can not compare to a new grand baby and healthy daughter. Congratulations!

I spent a while picking up tools, sweeping and generally cleaning the garage today. This is certainly will make it more pleasant to get back to work.

I just love being alive. What a blessing. :thumbup:

John

#5,017 ·

Brian
Waa Hoo!!!!! Congratulations! Oh yeah your daughter too!

BB

#5,019 · (Edited)
cant knock the Pinto , I hold the national record in a STOCK pinto from 1970 in X/SA a 17.10 as far as I know never been broken an don't think I ever will since they do not have those classes any more..

just a kicker I sold it to my wifes younger sister in 1973 with 16,000 miles on it for 600 dollars she drove it 330.000 miles and blew a head gasket just recently sold it ,,Talk about bang for your buck.:thumbup::thumbup:

Congratulations Grand Pa.

#5,020 ·
Got tired of the crusty look of the ET spokes. Someone had polished the as cast gray finish off before I bought them, and couldn't really get it all off, so they always looked a bit dirty around the lug nuts.

So I pulled the wheels and sanded the centers. Then gave them a good cleaning and shot them with VHT graphite color wheel paint. I like the contrast and the old style look better.