Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#5,041 ·
Oh it is a blast, I am very excited to see what he comes up with, he is a brilliant kid and I love hearing how he thinks about different things, he often surprises me with something I hadn't thought of.

And no, that isn't a Schwinn, it's a JC Higgins.

Brian

#5,042 ·
I remember the JC Higgins ,if I am not mistaken it was sold by Sears and then later by Western auto yhey are bringing a good price now,

I am building a 1953 Shwinn 3 wheeler town and country for my wife,i have it painted and all parts exept a wheel I am having trouble finding.

the fenders are for my 1956 Harley Panhead
if the bicycle is good exersize .my pan should ge real good:thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#5,044 ·
I remember the JC Higgins ,if I am not mistaken it was sold by Sears and then later by Western auto yhey are bringing a good price now,

I am building a 1953 Shwinn 3 wheeler town and country for my wife,i have it painted and all parts exept a wheel I am having trouble finding.

the fenders are for my 1956 Harley Panhead
if the bicycle is good exersize .my pan should ge real good:thumbup::thumbup:
That's not a Schwinn frame that I have ever seen, and I have done a zillion of them. You may have been bamboozled on that one.

Brian

#5,045 ·
Yep it's good to know the law. I was pulled over in my truck back when I was about 18. The officer asked me where my front bumper was. Just as calm as could be I said "It's a commercial vehicle, it doesn't need a bumper in the front or the rear, unlike a passenger vehicle which does". He mumbled something and walked off. I didn't know what he was going to do and waited for HIM to start his car and leave round me before I drove off. LOL

Brian
I actually thought he might have been wondering about the old pie crust slicks in back! I've had one other officer who wanted to know if they were street legal. The DOT marking is on the inside near the rim, and I told him where to look, but he declined climbing under the car and let it go.

#5,046 ·
That's not a Schwinn frame that I have ever seen, and I have done a zillion of them. You may have been bamboozled on that one.

Brian

I don't know any thing about bicycles in general it had what appeared to be the original paint on the space between stripes on the chain guard it said Town & country in white letters and in smaller letters below it said by Schwinn
that's why the space is there so I can put lettering back on .there is a metal plate on the front fork tube looks to be brass that says schwinn it is embossed in the metal with no visible paint ,so I don't know how to paint it back ,the pedals the handle bar grips and basket all say Schwinn,,I probably did get taken I paid $350 dollars for it paid $330 for paint and materials $100 to powder coat the baskets and it will be 300 more to powder coat the wheels when I find 1 more my front is bent..but Annie (the Wife )wanted it and what Annie wants well you know LOL ,,,I bought it for her birthday:D:D

#5,047 ·
I don't know any thing about bicycles in general it had what appeared to be the original paint on the space between stripes on the chain guard it said Town & country in white letters and in smaller letters below it said by Schwinn
that's why the space is there so I can put lettering back on .there is a metal plate on the front fork tube looks to be brass that says schwinn it is embossed in the metal with no visible paint ,so I don't know how to paint it back ,the pedals the handle bar grips and basket all say Schwinn,,I probably did get taken I paid $350 dollars for it paid $330 for paint and materials $100 to powder coat the baskets and it will be 300 more to powder coat the wheels when I find 1 more my front is bent..but Annie (the Wife )wanted it and what Annie wants well you know LOL ,,,I bought it for her birthday:D:D
I just don't know, but everything tells me it's not a Schwinn frame.

See how the tubes flow into the end piece, they were brazed and filed like that.

On the rear it didn't use a piece of sheet metal back for the rear axle mount, it used a forged piece that was welded to the tubes and ground to perfection.

The fork stay should look like this. And the forks, all Schwinn forks that I know of look like these. They weren't made of tubing, they had a flat stock look, I believe they were forged.

My brother has a 53 Panther and it looks like these photos. The only Schwinn have right now is a late 60's Lil Chick and it looks the same basically, all Schwinns that I have ever seen have a frame like this.

I don't want to be the barer of bad news, don't sweat it, have fun.

Brian

#5,048 ·
I probably bought a fake ,it is suppose to be a 1953 but I don't know that for sure but the wife likes it so I guess I better be happy she is happy ,with what I have got ,I want tell her if you don't .LOL:D
but for what I will have in it ,I could have probably bought a real one,if this is fake

#5,058 ·
cut out a support on an Isuzu Trooper and pulled the apron. We just ordered a 90 degree side clamp so we don't have them yet so I had to leave a small portion of the support on the apron and still bolted into the front cross member. Then used a plate and bolt to pull in that area. This allowed it to stay straight where it needed to stay straight and un crumple where it needed to uncrumple. I'm kind of glad we didn't have the side clamp cause I probably wouldn't have tried it that way and it worked out great. The upper rail has swayed a tad and is in still though so tomorrow that will get worked out and brought back to spec...after someone converts them to inches for us on the computer. :D

The Chrysler 300 is getting assembled by the owner and going next door for interior. So I hope he gets the side chrome on before he pulls it out of here so I can snap more pics. I snapped some today and will put them up by Friday, in hopes I get more with the side chrome. Certain colors look good with chrome and that's one of them.

#5,059 ·
One nifty little tool

Today I finally got to spray the bottom of the 55. It took about two weeks to strip the undercoating, the grease and rust from the bottom. I sprayed the silver primer on today with an engine cleaning gun from Taiwan. I purchased it at Harbor freight for seven dollars. I have used these for years. This sprayer will blow paint about 18 inches. It's great for all the hard to reach areas, and for spraying inside rockers and anywhere else that access is difficult.

#5,060 ·
Hit the Wed. night cruise at Beaches tonight. A beautiful 75 degree evening, and only a few hundred cars showed up, vs. the 1200-1500 that usually show on a nice night. It's been slow all summer for some reason.
I also hit a Wed night cruise / gathering and although around here has also been a little slow this season the quality of vehicles has been great and anytime I drive the beast I have a smile from ear to ear :mwink:

Got to admit my truck was looking dam good last night :cool:

Attachments