The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 257 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Plugged away on Rusty today. Was pleased to see how solid the A pillar was but I had to trim it almost to the lower hinge. There is a box structure inside it that must have saved it. I will have to rebuild the box too though.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
What I've been working on this morning and for the last 3 &#@%$#@ weeks is getting the new 2bbl and electric choke kit installed on the '62 Fairlane, plus fabricating a return spring bracket and, even tho I can crank it, the freaking idle is always too fast and I'm about ready to set fire to the S.O.B.

No matter what I have done, I still get the fast idle and when I back the cold idle screw off, it dies.

Maybe I should take up quilting or Whoreteeculture
Not trying to run your business .it sounds like you have a bad vacumn leak ,intake gasket carb gasket .or simple as a vacumn hose cracked or off.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Yea it is a ZZ4 Fat man ,Pete & Jake ,Imported leather,, but that is what SHE wanted,pro built and paint don't match ,now the guys have to fix mistakes ,,sound familiar.
Hmmm where have I heard that before
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

a couple tear downs including the huge ford van I'm doing a uni side on. Being in a hot van scraping out butyl tape from the side glass (joy x3) is exciting stuff. not sure about your technique with butyl tape but when it gets all stretchy and taffy like I just spin my scraper tool to collect it and huff and puff about it being on my tool later. Anywho, the floor and braces are all good but a corner of the outer wheel house needs to be pushed out and a vertical brace needs to be swapped out. I thought this was a train wreck but it just looks deceiving. when I really got a good look at it today it won't be that much of a task, plus we're not getting a saw zawed side with a million spot welds to cut out. So this van had some dead roses in it and a wrapped up towel that was taped together. The office guy saw me holding it as I was clearing the back to take out the carpet and he asked me what I was doing with the dead man's pillow. It's a van that hauls dead bodies-yuk! Tomorrow the aftermarket GR blah blah porsche bumper goes back on so I'll have pics of that tomorrow. It was a nightmare to get right and one of those bumpers where you better handle 4-5 issues each time you take the bumper off or you will cause issues by mocking it up too many times.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Henry, one of the tricks to butyl tape removal is to stick it to it's self. It is a pain in the butt no matter how you look at it. But if you pull off some and using that lump of butyl stick to the next piece and it will often pull off then just keep moving. It is tedious but I have found it to make more sense than any other way of removal.

Brian
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Plugged away on Rusty today. Was pleased to see how solid the A pillar was but I had to trim it almost to the lower hinge. There is a box structure inside it that must have saved it. I will have to rebuild the box too though.

John

One piece at a time, you could rebuild the Titanic if you wanted, just one piece at a time! You are doing fine John!

Brian
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 AM

Last photo:

Holy cow, some earth shattering stuff tonight! I actually worked for the very first time on my truck in 15 years. I found the rear cab mount fixed nuts out in the cab and ran a tap thru the threads and found a few bolts to bolt them in, WHOO HOOO. It may not seem like much but it was a blast for me to do anything on that truck. I have been working very hard at work, put in 11 hours "today" (now that it's 3:30 in the morning this was yesterday) and I pushed myself to go out for my five minutes and I was happy to get this done. But then I couldn't stop and I got a bunch done out in my wrecking yard too to straighten up my project parts, all is good in MARTINSR land....well except being up at 3am unable to sleep!

I love working on the old stuff, FORGET reproduction parts! I loath using repro parts I love the history of the original stuff. Like these fuses, how cool is that to put these fuses in your vintage car?

Brian

Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Yea it is a ZZ4 Fat man ,Pete & Jake ,Imported leather,, but that is what SHE wanted,pro built and paint don't match ,now the guys have to fix mistakes ,,sound familiar.

I should have said ,the guys in the shop have to fix ,,some one else mistake.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Henry, one of the tricks to butyl tape removal is to stick it to it's self. It is a pain in the butt no matter how you look at it. But if you pull off some and using that lump of butyl stick to the next piece and it will often pull off then just keep moving. It is tedious but I have found it to make more sense than any other way of removal.

Brian
yeah, I do that afterwards when cleaning it up. I was talking about when you're slicing into it and pull the tool out and it stretches and is ready to droop everywhere.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Brian ,I don't know if you want to sell the fuses.but there was a show on tv called Lowrider or lowriddin .but the man who hosted the show buys old mostly Chevrolet items ,he pays rediculious prices he paid 500 for an ash tray for a 48 chevy .(in the box )makes a big differene in price like yours..my guess he probably has a web site.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I sandblasted the brackets and spacers I ordered, ready for a coat of POR. I know, I know, what am I thinking using the POR, but these are for my truck and I don't really care. Just swapping over to serpentine and some vintage air. I hit them on one side today. Just got to flip them over and hit the other side in the morning.

Donor brackets, pulleys and water pump I blasted and painted last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01597 (Medium).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	74667   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01599 (Medium).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	74668   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01601 (Medium).JPG
Views:	29
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	74669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01603 (Medium).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	74670  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Went with a buddy today to pick n pull to get him a 8.8" Explorer 3.73 LS for his '69 Nova gasser project. We got one pulled pretty quickly, and then found a pair of nice old buckets to also pull. Stopped and got a battery for my Falcon, and mounted the box in the trunk. Didn't get anything else done, and headed to the local burger barn cruise tonight.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Welcome back Pugs. Missed ya buddy,

Welllll. I didn't ever make it to the basement. Took Barb to the Doctor and on the way the complete dash on my GM van died. everything just froze in time. The A/C also went hot. This car has the deluxe computerized dash too. When we got home I spent an hour surfing the web looking for possible answers, After all that I checked the owners manual for a fuse for the ICU.

My heart jumped for joy when I saw that fuse number 8 was instrument/AC. One fuse equals cold air and gauges.

Since I saved us so much money it seemed only right and fitting that I go buy a Plasma Cutter. Whaa Hooo as Brian would say. It should be here Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Good for you John,,That is one of the best investments I have made I had a snap on 110v but when I started building and selling utility $ car trailors I traded up to a 220 v snap on ,,an overkill ,wish I had my 110 back you can use it anywhere.

just a note it is made by Century ,Sears and many others sell the same machine even sane part number Much Much cheaper
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I bought an import but it is 50amp and rated to cut 1/2 inch. Imwill never need more than 1/4. There were 135 review and something like 115 were 5 star so hopefully it will do the job. Lordy, Lordy, All it nas to do is cut rust.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.