The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 26 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Today

What did I get done today? Not a bleepin thing. Gave myself a day off!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
Thanks, Brian. From the looks of your bins, parts bags, etc. I could use some of your organizational skills. I feel like I've really accomplished something just by keeping the parts from this project away from the parts from my other project. Good thing it's a Ford & this ones a Chevy! LOL
When I think of the YEARS this damn car has been apart and what I can't find, I am very glad I did what I did to keep it organized, it really pays off. My son took a lot of it apart and I am finding this dash is going to be a lot easier than I thought because of him, check out the labeled bags of screws.

One of the things I did for the first time was to keep a binder with where things are, just quick notes on where I stick something. It's called the "Where in the living hell did I put that part" binder. This has helped tremendously! You can't believe how much this has helped. As you can see, it's no work of art. But damn is it helpful!

Check out the photos below.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2200.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	62931   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2201.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	62932   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2202.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	62933   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2203.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	62934   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2204.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	62935  

Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Busy week-end

Another busy week-end for me! Snowmobiling Friday morning. Pulled the motor out of my Dodge 1 ton friday afternoon. It is now on the shop floor waiting to be replaced by another yard 360. Saturday went out to our local rifle range and ran a 1000 yard match. I used my AR 10 Long range and did all right for my match. Small group for the match was 4 3/4" and 49 points out of 50, not by me! Went looking for Sage Rats around noon as the weather turned off warm and got 2. Earliest I have ever killed any.Cleaned the shop this afternoon and installed some mud flaps on my Dodge PU. Hope to have my 1 ton running this week. Ter409
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
When I think of the YEARS this damn car has been apart and what I can't find, I am very glad I did what I did to keep it organized, it really pays off. My son took a lot of it apart and I am finding this dash is going to be a lot easier than I thought because of him, check out the labeled bags of screws.

One of the things I did for the first time was to keep a binder with where things are, just quick notes on where I stick something. It's called the "Where in the living hell did I put that part" binder. This has helped tremendously! You can't believe how much this has helped. As you can see, it's no work of art. But damn is it helpful!

Brian
I start out organized then fizzle out

so does that binder/folder, keep track of all your garage/parts, not just one project?
if so that might work good for me I spend a lot of time looking for stuff
I just need to do a store inventory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ter 409
Another busy week-end for me! Snowmobiling Friday morning. Pulled the motor out of my Dodge 1 ton friday afternoon. It is now on the shop floor waiting to be replaced by another yard 360. Saturday went out to our local rifle range and ran a 1000 yard match. I used my AR 10 Long range and did all right for my match. Small group for the match was 4 3/4" and 49 points out of 50, not by me! Went looking for Sage Rats around noon as the weather turned off warm and got 2. Earliest I have ever killed any.Cleaned the shop this afternoon and installed some mud flaps on my Dodge PU. Hope to have my 1 ton running this week. Ter409
what is a sage rat?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
Yeah I told her she needs a command start too warm up her car in the AM.

She said "sure honey how about we just save some money on that remote control system,,,then I command U to get out there at -30 and start it up in the AM" Command start my arse,,,
To quote Larry .....Now I don't care who you are, "THAT'S FUNNY"!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Brian
Brian; If I could go to a folder like that to find something, I would be scared sh$*&^%$less because I know I wouldn't be in my garage! I would be expecting gunshots any second. LOL No doubt it's a good system and I should be doing that, definitely. Problem is I suffer from "I'll just put it here for now and surely I'll remember something as simple as that" syndrome! You would think that all those hours of looking for that "I know I put it right here" part would cure me, but not yet! I REALLY need to start doing that! I assume that you put the folder in the same spot each time? Bob
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 AM
It's slow, not to low.....yet.

Last journal entry: 1951 Styleline DeLuxe
Last photo:

No fair....

Hey, I've got to do something on the project since I can't physically work on it right now, brrrrrrr!! Planning counts as my 5 minutes (well ok it took me a little while longer than that!!) Getting ready to order parts as soon as I finalize what I want to accomplish in the time I have before show season. Looking into a 200-4R swap for the glide and the 57ish rear that that juniorstocker recommended in another thread. Anybody know of anyone who has done the 200-4R swap on a 50-54? I'll start another thread in the appropriate place.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev

so does that binder/folder, keep track of all your garage/parts, not just one project?
In this case, the truck and the Gran Sports parts are "cataloged" in the binder. You can see parts for my truck in the lower half of the second page photo with the YH carbs and such, that's all parts for the truck.

Like I said, it is no work of art. It's a binder with fifty pages of paper in it and I just flip it open and scribble down a quick note when I store something away. I don't do it every time, I don't remember to. But I do often and it helps big time!

Brian
Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
Brian; If I could go to a folder like that to find something, I would be scared sh$*&^%$less because I know I wouldn't be in my garage! I would be expecting gunshots any second. LOL No doubt it's a good system and I should be doing that, definitely. Problem is I suffer from "I'll just put it here for now and surely I'll remember something as simple as that" syndrome! You would think that all those hours of looking for that "I know I put it right here" part would cure me, but not yet! I REALLY need to start doing that! I assume that you put the folder in the same spot each time? Bob
The binder is sitting on top of the tool boxes on my bench. This is our problem thinking that we will remember where a part is or how it goes on the car. I am blown away at how I can forget something about a car I took apart a week ago, how about twenty years like when I am going to be putting my truck together (hopefully).

This is the thing, at work we often will have someone put together a car that he didn't take apart. So notes and well packaged components are a MUST.

I always say to the guys, "You need to label that well so when you hit the lotto and don't come back the guy putting that car together won't have a problem".

A quick note, or a piece of tape stuck to the part with a quick note helps wonders.

I took a LOT of photos of my Rambler when I was taking it apart planning on using them. Then my hard drive crashed! So, I was without them when I put the car together (I have since had them removed from my old hard drive and I have them ) so that is a big help too. But notes written right on them, MAN O MAN does that help.

Brian
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low n' 51ow
Hey, I've got to do something on the project since I can't physically work on it right now, brrrrrrr!! Planning counts as my 5 minutes (well ok it took me a little while longer than that!!) Getting ready to order parts as soon as I finalize what I want to accomplish in the time I have before show season. Looking into a 200-4R swap for the glide and the 57ish rear that that juniorstocker recommended in another thread. Anybody know of anyone who has done the 200-4R swap on a 50-54? I'll start another thread in the appropriate place.
Yes of course you will want to do a new thread. But that 49-54 is a torque tube drive isn't it? If that is the case there is much more than a simple trans swap. The rear end trans, some frame work, the motor mounts on that motor are in the bell housing, that will be gone. There is a lot of work with that one.

Brian
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

[QUOTE=matts37chev]I start out organized then fizzle out

what is a sage rat?[/QUOTE
Some kind of squirrel i think ?

Cole
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM
It's slow, not to low.....yet.

Last journal entry: 1951 Styleline DeLuxe
Last photo:

Yes there is more than a trans swap involved with that one, already looking into a 57ish rear for the job. Prob gonna remain factory for this season with just some seals, gaskets, and some floor pan work. Just getting my ducks in a row for major changes!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Went to the Salem roadster show in the moring, then got home and the sun was trying to shine, so got the recently painted gasser out and got under it to wash off all the dust and dirt from weeks of bodywork. Then jacked it up and removed the tires so I can begin assembly and detailing.
Gotta run for paint and parts today to finish the rest, then start splicing wires and get all the lights and chrome reinstalled.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Got all my car errands done today, then dropped my rear wheels off to have the old MT Sportsmans taken off and new M&H street/strip radials installed. An inch narrower, but they should hook up much better. The MT's are really hard, and don't hook worth a darn!

Then I got busy painting and fabbing. Made up this plate so the Nissan hood latches I built into my lower fenders for the tilt frontend wont scrape up the paint when I lower the frontend. These aluminum strike plates can be scratched and not rust.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Sage rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev

what is a sage rat?
It is called a Richardson Ground Squirrel,or Picket Pin. It is a small prairie dog looking rat or squirrel that will destroy a farmers field and crop. If a farmer knows you are safe and serious about killing these critters he will alot of times buy you ammo to do the job. We have used over 5000 22 bullets in one field and the next week it looks the same. Look-up Oregon sage rats on Google. Ter409

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.