Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#501 ·
Well, been trying to keep at the project, but I've had that "getting old" thing in the way this past week. Too much time on my feet and then pulled something in the back. But you can't let a weekend go by now can ya!
Ordered some fittings, etc at the speed shop, and picked up some steel lines for the tranny on Sat. Bent some of the bends for the tranny to get the lines past the engine, but will finish to the cooler after I pull the engine (again). Made the framework base for the gas tank and tacked it in. Made an access panel for getting to the fuel filter and fittings as I'm putting a larger bung in the bottom of the fuel cell (anticipating the demands of a blown big block eventually). The access panel between the frame rails behind the rear end will allow me to put a tank shut off, filter, and the electric pump directly under the tank. I had been worried about where to mount all of these things along the frame headed toward the front. Not a lot of room between these frame rails. Hopefully finish up the fuel and the brake lines along the frame rails this week so that I can button up the floor soon.

Attachments

#502 ·
Looking good!

I painted some of the instrument panel, mounted some of the convertible latch stuff on the windshield frame (that was a friggin pain!) and made the bracket fo the battery tray that I have been putting off. I have been putting it off hoping that I would find the original. But I just couldn't wait anymore, I wanted to get that part done so I went ahead and fabbed up a bracket. And of course now, you know, you know that I will find that original one in the next few days. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and I boxed up a Rambler hood that I sold on eBay. Check this out, I am shipping this hood back to within about fifty miles of where the car was made 52 years ago in Wisconsin!

Brian

#503 ·
Nothing got done this weekend...... Excuse: High winds friday knocked over a power pole and not only killed the power to the shop,a transformer went through the roof....They still using PCB's in the transformer oil?? its all over the floor, they threw some absorbing towels down and acted like it was nothing..my instructions were to wait a while then pick them up and throw them in the trash.. :confused: ..I remember something about PCB's being highly toxic from when I lived in NY,the Hudson river was full of it...

#504 ·
deadbodyman said:
Nothing got done this weekend...... Excuse: High winds friday knocked over a power pole and not only killed the power to the shop,a transformer went through the roof....They still using PCB's in the transformer oil?? its all over the floor, they threw some absorbing towels down and acted like it was nothing..my instructions were to wait a while then pick them up and throw them in the trash.. :confused: ..I remember something about PCB's being highly toxic from when I lived in NY,the Hudson river was full of it...
wow :pain:

#506 ·
deadbodyman said:
.... And the next time you venture back, wander over to Hudson Falls and see what a mess the EPA has caused - and for once, it was GW Bush's fault(Christy Todd Whitman, his EPA sect'y) :nono: .

As far as PCBs and cancer danger - it has not been proven that any human has contracted cancer from that nasty stuff. It IS a dermatological nightmare though. I worked briefly with the GE chemist/manager that was in charge of doing the river research - and his contention was to never dredge the Hudson River as it would create a much bigger problem. He was right as that pollution has drifted 40 miles further South since the dredging started.

So the power company - they are only working to the established requirements that require a panic mode when cleaning a PCB mess :eek:

#507 ·
deadbodyman said:
I remember talking to the electricians who worked for me at the mine, and they told me that the transformers now are filled with peanut oil. Can't speak for your transformer, but I would hanlde those absorbents with rubber gloves, if it was me.

#508 ·
They stopped using PCB's in transformers back in the 70's. Many were still out there in existence from before that period, but our local power company went through their whole grid in the 90's and drained and refilled all transformers, or changed out small transformers. Not sure about your area, but as mentioned a pair of rubber gloves and a garbage bag will take care of it. Just wash your hands when done.
I handled a lot of leaky transformers during my career as an electrician before we had any knowledge of, or concern abbout PCB's. I wouldn't intentionally handle them or the oil, but short contact and good hand washing will eliminate any potential hazzard. If you're really worried tell them to come back and wash your floor and pick up their own towells.

#509 ·
Since the wind knocked it down it is an act of God, therefore responsibility for clean up is yours. If the power company does anything it is only to recover their transformer and secure the power.

Assuming you have insurance for your shop, they should process your claim for the roof repair and the clean up of the oil spill (you should be able to get it professionally cleaned, after all oil on your floor is a fall hazard and the insurance company could be liable).

If you don't have insurance, same as above except it is on your dime.

Good luck.

#510 ·
A week ago the power co stopped by and told us they needed to change the pole and transformers because it failed some kind of inspection.
believe it or not ,sunday I went to the shop and started hand sanding, straightening out a hood,made a pot of coffee went to get some coffee about 20 min later and NO COFFEE :mad: funny how used we are to all the little things electricity gives us besides lights...

#511 ·
deadbodyman said:
A week ago the power co stopped by and told us they needed to change the pole and transformers because it failed some kind of inspection.
believe it or not ,sunday I went to the shop and started hand sanding, straightening out a hood,made a pot of coffee went to get some coffee about 20 min later and NO COFFEE :mad: funny how used we are to all the little things electricity gives us besides lights...
no coffee - means i curl up in a ball and cry :pain:

#512 ·
A few days ago while doing a once over cleanup I found some nerf bars for the front of my '31 that I had forgotten - and installed them today. It took me all of one very ruined 3/16" drill bit even with a coolant and oil to remind me that stainless is tough to drill, worse with a dull bit. Did a Drill Doctor sharpening on the replacement plus the two larger sizes (3/8 & 1/2) I used, no further troubles. I'll eventually post a photo of this minor change.

Dave W

#514 ·
Again, another five minutes, well, about 45. I just got a few things bolted on and some things found going thru parts. I have to tell you, I may not be getting a whole lot done but I am thrilled that SOMETHING is getting done!

Brian

#519 ·
Irelands child said:
Thanks -

Didn't have a thing in the front. I bought these during early construction of the car and just plain "lost 'em" mentally as well as physically. They 'appeared' during a rearrangement of my shop.

Dave W

Its always nice when shiny parts appear out of nowhere. :thumbup: