The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 260 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mike, I will be doing some welding with my Jewelers torch and posting it, this thing will blow you away.

I don't believe the wire is what makes the weld so hard, I believe it's the way it is used, the whole electrons and all. At least I believe so, but I believe that to be the true. I believe they cool so fast the molecules gather making them harder.

On the clothes hangers, they are very soft metal and they are coated with a "paint" to keep them from rusting, so there is a big difference between them and the welding rods bought at the welding supply. I won't be using coat hangers anymore!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-09-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I'll have to look into that jeweler's torch Brian. That's pretty cool. And the MIG wire is a good idea too.
I have only used it a little bit as I bought it before I went back to work on the line and stopped all my projects at home. I butt welded the quarter patch panel on the Gran Sport with it, I am not kidding you can really do some neat stuff, a TINY little weld bead. This is with the largest tip in the kit, with the smallest you can solder on a circuit board!

Brian
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Burn the varnish /paint off first with the torch ??????
Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Burn the varnish /paint off first with the torch ??????

Nope, I will buy welding rods at the store. This is sort of like using paint thinner from the McHome store as wax and grease remover.........I just don't think the 14 cents savings is enough to go thru the trouble and the gamble.

Brian
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Wouldnt that depand on the rod your using, puggs...with mig wire I would think the weld would be a little hard (like a mig weld) but I havent gas welded any sheetmetal since the 70's I was never any good at it so the mig was my saviour. and it wasnt the tip size because I couldnt even gas weld muffler pipe ...so all I use my torches for is cutting heavy stuff and heating metal for forming.
..............A mans gotta know his limitations.......Clint E.
As Brian mentioned, it's not the rod but the process that makes the MIG weld "crispy".

About the jewelers torch; is it big enough to give good penetration in sheet metal?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
As Brian mentioned, it's not the rod but the process that makes the MIG weld "crispy".

About the jewelers torch; is it big enough to give good penetration in sheet metal?
Yep, with a butt weld and using .023 wire you put a little 1/16-3/32" wide bead.

Brian
Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
They had a set of various wooden blocks and wedges and just bent whatever didn't match until it did. Once in a while they would loosen a bolt but most of it was just done with the blocks and bending.
They used to do that all the time at Winnebago. If the inspector was nearby, they might cut a floor loose and re-weld it; but most of the time, it was a block of wood and a sledge
Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Friday and Saturday was spent de-greasing, aluminum cleaning and washing the Pete for pics.
Today I had a little time so I installed a new door panel in the '52. I got them from Jim Carters Truck parts. I got new foam spacers and cardboard washers too for the handles and all new screws and washers to mount the board.

Before..

The cardboard is only painted on one side and they recommended painting the back to prevent moisture absorbsion and separating. I sprayed a coat of matte clear on to seal them.

I wasn't sure what the original color was and thought it looked Burgundy. I got light Gray to match the headliner I have.

Foam and cardboard spacers to keep the handles from rattling.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

DAMN that truck is in nice shape!

Brian
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Nope, I will buy welding rods at the store. This is sort of like using paint thinner from the McHome store as wax and grease remover.........I just don't think the 14 cents savings is enough to go thru the trouble and the gamble.

Brian
yeah probably wouldnt make much difference with my gas welding ...mabee i'll get one of those jeweler torches and give it another try...
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

It's been many years since I used an oxy-acetylene torch to weld, although I sure enjoyed it when I did. I just seem to have gotten to using the Miller MIG for everything, even when I know some things could be easier with the torch. I need to probably practice a lot to get back in stride with the torch!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
yeah probably wouldnt make much difference with my gas welding ...mabee i'll get one of those jeweler torches and give it another try...
In the old days hangers were pretty good metal. Over the years they became mostly recycled metal and looked like sparklers when you used them. In this day and time it would be foolish to use anything but good CC rods.

John
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Before you go spend any hard earned money let me get back to you being I haven't used mine much, just the few times it was awesome.

Brian
Old 06-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Today I got up and went to a Chili cook off with the wife and my daughter, and I have to tell you, I enjoy this event every year and today was no different.

So with that and doing some work on the house, not a whole lot got done. But I did clean up the garage to be able to move the cab inside. I also decided to weld the jack-stands to the cart for the cab, looking out side this morning seeing it on the jack-stands gave me the willies.

So I cut the top of the jack-stands off so it could remove them if I want and welded the top on to the frame. The bottoms were already modified for a project years ago. It was funny that I set up the rear axle without any planning on if the front stands would need any work to make it perfectly level. But right there on the first hole it was perfect.

I also put the motor in front of the cab just to make it feel better.

Brian

Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Yes, a tweaked hood is a whole different animal. Good luck.

John
i got it close picture didnt come out though.

its the hood itself on the driver side its even were the hinge is , then twards the center of the hood moving foward its high, and just at the front over the headlight pocket its slightly low

put a block of wood under the front of the hood and just infront of the hinges and slowly applied pressure and got it much closer. lil more working it and i think it will line right back up. tomorrow when i get out of work im going to work on it a lil more

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.