The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 262 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,120 Times in 996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Started fabricating the RF body mount and finished the A pillar down to the rocker panel.

Went to the local cruise in at the Sonic tonight. good bunch of guys.

John

I just saw a sign in a window of the local parts store that there is a little get together here in town I didn't know about, I'll have to give it a try, it's just two blocks from my house!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Got back on the Falcon today, and put my trunk mounted battery box in. Then ran the cables, and installed battery cutoff switch. After that I hooked up my remote starter sw. and cranked the engine over to adjust the valves.
Got more wiring done to the front and installed my QD connectors to make pulling the tilt front easier. Had my neighbor help me reinstall the tilt frontend, and I need to do more trimming than I thought. With the pivot/tilt system, the front moves forward 5.5", and then tilts. That made the rear edge too narrow to clear the bug catcher. I'll have to trim another .5"-1" on each side to clear easily. After that I can bend up my edge trim, and weld a raised lip to the opening to dress it, and help make it stronger.

You know what, that damn car puts a smile on my face. Every time I see what you do, I have a smile on my face. That thing is fun, pure and simple.

Brian
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Today I put the torch to the truck. First time actually working on it in 20 years! Damn that was fun, welding up the gas filler hole using the torch I bought over 40 years ago to weld on this truck!

DAMN that was fun! I am BEAT being I was up this morning at 4:30 or so unable to sleep. But I couldn't wait to get home to do this. Took me about an hour, not too shabby for an old dude. I only have to do this 743 more times and it will be done!

I have a 48 tank which mounts under the bed on the right frame rail. I was going to do something more important first, like get the roof back together but I guess I am VERY rusty and need to get back up to speed with working on an old body, I don't even do body work at all these days so I need to get up to speed. I figured I would practice what I preach at work when some guy leaves some part on a car that he is GOING to have to do at some point, why not remove all the parts before you start the repair (collision repair remember). I figured, I at some point would need to fill that hole, it isn't like it's going to go away or something. So I filled it.

Brian

Oh and by the way Mike, the Jewelers torch was rocking and rolling, it's fun to use and with the largest tip I assume its about a 00 Victor tip, I don't have one so I don't know but I think it's about that big. Using .023 wire was ok but the wire was a bit small, .035 would be better. I used a 1/16" welding rod with it turned up a bit and it worked fine. One problem, I noticed that there was a leak! I had the damn regulators at 5-40 from when I was using the cutting torch and the high pressure blew my hoses! CRAP. So I also lost some precious oxy and acetylene DAMN. I will need to shorten the hose a little and reclamp it and the clamps are TINY, I assume I will have to make something from scratch, DAMN. I got about half of it done and had to switch to my regular torch. With for this particular spot it was no big deal. I will put some more time into the Jewelers torch that is for sure.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-10-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Your torch welding looks good.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I love them , I open hood/deck and drill a hole (iirc 1/8" or a tad bigger) in the chrome rod, then I get a clip like the ones for trailer hitch pins ,those spring clips ,the name escapes me at the moment. and then drill the shock to make it dead.
add stud under hood somewhere with 2 holes and now I have a hood that not bonk me on the head and no prop rod to get in the way. when done put the clips on the stud for safe keeping..
When those things go bad I always clamped some vice grips on the chrome rod to keep it from going down your idea sounds better.
Seems to me theres a little clip you can buy that snaps on there but I cant remember where i saw it or even if thats what it really was.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'll say... very nice,Brian
Old 06-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Ditto for me Brian. It looks great. When I was using a torch I always used a #2 tip with a soft flame. The 00 tip tended to pop back on me more. Do you have any problem with the jewelers torch popping back? When I chopped the Merc I did the whole car with a torch but have not lit it in ages. You are making me want to play with mine.

John

Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

The welds were not pretty, I have to get up to speed. I am talking with everything, I was fighting it a little. Both torches provided a pretty good weld, I have a ways to go before I could even discuss it with any clarity at all. First time in many years and I fumbled thru it.

John, I love your leaf spring to maintain the rear deck curvature, very clever. Talk about a lot of welds! Isn't it a treasure that you have photos! I can't believe how stingy we were with those photos but damn, when you only have 12, you just couldn't take them like we do today. I just looked and I have 11 photos of welding this hole up, that would have been a whole roll of film in my Kodac Instimatic! And it would have been a week before I saw them!

Brian

Brian
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

How right you are Brian. I have zero pictures of my first 4 cars. I really hate that.

I am really interested on what you find using the Jewelrs torch. It may work well but it may take so long to heat the metal it becomes counter productve. I hope you give us feed back.

John
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Very creative roof support ,better than a second set of hands ,these don't let it move around .LOL
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

No, believe me with the large tip it isn't that hard at all. And it is so light! So if you have to hold it all day long it is a lot easier than a brass Victor. My Craftsmen torch actually has an aluminum butt with small brass tubes going thru it so it's not too heavy either.

I used this little torch welding the quarter patch on the bottom of the Gran Sport and it worked like a charm.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

You know what's funny, in all of my top chops, sections, what ever, I have never ran a brace across anything! I always set them up so I didn't have to. However, in doing collision repair and replacing the whole sides of cars I found how helpful they can be and will be doing that in the truck I believe.

Brian
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Nice work on the fill Brian!
And I love the leaf spring support on your top chop John! I've never seen that done, and it's great!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Nice work on the fill Brian!
And I love the leaf spring support on your top chop John! I've never seen that done, and it's great!
It really was not done as a support. I was looking for something simple to use as a template to make sure the top flowed evenly as I added the filler material. I think it was a suggestion on Tommy Steadman's video in chopping Mercury's. Been a long time ago. Not possative.

By the time I chopped that sucker and put it on a Skylark floor pan and firewall assembly my welding skills definitely improved.

John L
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It really was not done as a support. I was looking for something simple to use as a template to make sure the top flowed evenly as I added the filler material. I think it was a suggestion on Tommy Steadman's video in chopping Mercury's. Been a long time ago. Not possative.

By the time I chopped that sucker and put it on a Skylark floor pan and firewall assembly my welding skills definitely improved.

John L
Well it works! I've seen some top chops that were flawless, but didn't "flow" well because they didn't make the transistions right. I love a chopped top that is so subtle it's hard to tell it's even chopped!

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Trivia thread | - »