The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 263 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Well it works! I've seen some top chops that were flawless, but didn't "flow" well because they didn't make the transistions right. I love a chopped top that is so subtle it's hard to tell it's even chopped!
Me too. Customizing should enhance the factory styling. Different is not necessarily better. The Merc was chopped 3 1/2 inches and if I was doing it again I would do it,2 1/2.

John L.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Me too. Customizing should enhance the factory styling. Different is not necessarily better. The Merc was chopped 3 1/2 inches and if I was doing it again I would do it,2 1/2.

John L.
I am actually thinking about un-chopping my cab a half an inch. It's 4" which was the same as the old cab. I think it will look good but I have to think would the GM styling studio did it that much? A half an inch makes a heck of a difference, so 3 1/2" may be what I do. It only has one post on each side all welded, and I have the pieces I cut out, I might as well.

Brian
Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am actually thinking about un-chopping my cab a half an inch. It's 4" which was the same as the old cab. I think it will look good but I have to think would the GM styling studio did it that much? A half an inch makes a heck of a difference, so 3 1/2" may be what I do. It only has one post on each side all welded, and I have the pieces I cut out, I might as well.

Brian
Now that is being particular. It is a lot more work to unchop it than it is to chop it. If you do that we will Have to give you credit for stamina or something.

John
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I hope you have some more pics of that merc, thats a real tease....
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Got back on the Falcon today, and put my trunk mounted battery box in. Then ran the cables, and installed battery cutoff switch. After that I hooked up my remote starter sw. and cranked the engine over to adjust the valves.
Got more wiring done to the front and installed my QD connectors to make pulling the tilt front easier. Had my neighbor help me reinstall the tilt frontend, and I need to do more trimming than I thought. With the pivot/tilt system, the front moves forward 5.5", and then tilts. That made the rear edge too narrow to clear the bug catcher. I'll have to trim another .5"-1" on each side to clear easily. After that I can bend up my edge trim, and weld a raised lip to the opening to dress it, and help make it stronger.

looks good is that a straight axle. its got that 60's drag car look. brings back memories of Colchester drag way inCT.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Had to "un-chop" a 30 model A Ford once. The original chop having been done by a 24-pack bodyman, with hack saw and brazing rod.. Was quite a challange.

Love that Falcon, reminds me of the days at Pacific dragway in Missouri.. Boss had a 60 Falcon with a big Pontiac in it.

Worked on my narrowed 9" rear today. Finally got it assembled. Less a few pieces. Lost half of the bolts somewhere and some of the brake parts. They will show up after I buy some new replacements.

Now I have to get it under the chassis and figure out the parking brake cables and a flexible -3 line from frame to brake line T.. Also noticed that the only way I can fill this rear with gear oil. Is thru the vent.. No fill plug in housing or carrier. Why didn't I notice that before??

Geezer itis is catching up fast!!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I hope you have some more pics of that merc, thats a real tease....
LOL, Before or after?

John
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

Made cardboard mock ups/templates for my MG's "bomber seats"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1497_10201450957299033_667103986_n.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	74814   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013107_10201450957059027_267550886_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	74815  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
looks good is that a straight axle. its got that 60's drag car look. brings back memories of Colchester drag way inCT.
Yes, it's an Econoline straight axle.

Finished up the wiring today, and did some tests of the lights. Found some minor problems with turnsignals and tailights, but they were all either socket corrosion, or lamps and easily fixed. Thought I'd bump the starter to test it, and nothing happened. After some troubleshooting with a test light I found no output on the start lead of the ignition switch. I'll pull it tomorrow, and replace if it tests bad.
Still need to hook up temp/oil gauges, and bleed the brakes, but pretty close to firing it up.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

blocked on the 55 Chevy I'm working on. Second round of primer and it's night and day compared to how little primer the old painter applied. One gallon of poly for the first round and one gallon for the second round. First round I blocked with 120 a couple times. Second round I'm blocking with 240 and even reguide coating on the important panels. It's wiping off the guide coat really well. After we're done we'll fix a few areas in the jamb and kick it to the painter. He will then 2k prime with one coat and wet sand with 600. No sealer to bunch up and cause issues. I will do my own car the same way with the exception of my last app of primer will probably be two coats and it will be spi epoxy (yet to order it). I will also skip the sealing stage.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlsnk View Post
Made cardboard mock ups/templates for my MG's "bomber seats"
There you go, good work, I like it.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
chlsnk (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

I have to tell you, this age thing is getting more and more creepy every day. I was looking for something and found tools I forgot I had. Wait a second, I think it's more about organization, how can we remember EVERYTHING? Ok, I feel better. Anyway, Saturday when I was building the cart for my cab I ran out of MIG wire and ran to the Hardware store to get some (thank goodness I have a REAL hardware store just blocks away) and kept on working. Yesterday I found that I had a brand new spool of wire under my bench! Then I was looking at buying a new pair of welding goggles being the strap was worn out, decided to swipe a strap off a pair of clear goggles I had.....under the work bench was a beautiful perfect flip up welding goggles that look like brand new! Then there was the little sheetmetal bender, and ANOTHER pair of jack stands! I was blown away when I kept finding jack stands, I have 8 pairs!.......I really need to clean this place up!

I am cleaning out the wrecking yard still and last night (I would have posted this yesterday as "today" but I fell asleep on the couch) and I pulled apart the rest of the bed from my truck. I thought this was a pretty cool idea I had back 35ish years ago when I was 20. I bought the bed runners new from Chevrolet (wonder if they still sell them?) and found that they had no holes in them. Something hit me, I'll weld bolts on the bottom and leave them with no bolts showing! So that is what I did, I was working at a shop with the first MIG welder I ever saw and you can see by my welds, I had a lot to learn. But check it out, I welded the flat head screws on the bottom then had them chromed, pretty cool huh?

After spending some clean up time in the wrecking yard I got to my truck, I picked out a pair of nice hinges among the number of them that I have and installed them along with the drivers door. I want to get both doors on and the cab braced so I can finish the roof. This was the only door I sectioned, doing the other side is next. So the cab has a swinging door on it! WHOO HOOO, oh yeah and by the way, yes I got inside sitting on a stack of towels and made vrrrrmm vrrrrrm sounds.

Brian
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
There you go, good work, I like it.

Brian
I found out one of my old friends works at a sign shop last night and his boss gave me the okay to come by this week and use the large brake and shear that have. This week has gotten better and better.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

pulled oil pan,timing cover,valve covers,rockers,spider,lifters,dogbones,pushrods
pulled out cam and installed ramjet cam, drilled the pushrod holes larger and then it started to rain, packed it up and shut the garage door, sadly no room in garage to work, but that's another story

stopped at homedepot and get button head bolts for water pump and some stainless washers for the valvecovers..

now to order some gaskets
tomorrow I'll vacuum up all the little file'n from the drilling. and get any it miss with a magnet,
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I am such a dope. I put the new ignition sw. on the column today, and still wouldn't turn the starter. After pulling the old sw. apart to see how the contacts make up, I realised I had two wires trasposed when I pinned the new connector! Swapped the hot with one accessory wire and it worked fine.
Have just a few small things on my "to do" list and I can do the cam breakin!

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.