The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 269 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I treated myself this Father's day. I have a Makita 18 Volt drill/driver set but the batteries are lame, expensive, rendered useless cause if one cell runs low it kills the entire battery's capacity to accept a charge. So instead of buying new batteries(which would have cost more than buying a new set) I picked up a Milwaukee M12 drill/ driver set and hear great things about it. The batteries are only $69 for 2 and I haven't read any horror stories about the batteries being defected like with the Makita ones. I'll try to find a buyer for the Makita set with charger but am thrilled about this purchase. I thought going back down to 12 volt was smart. Just don't need 18 volt for most applications.

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Driver/Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)-2494-22 at The Home Depot

Advertisement

Last edited by tech69; 06-16-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

We hit the annual father's day swap meet this morning. It was better than ever, and everyone got some great bargains! My buddy ended up buying a '37 Plymouth sedan for a fantastic price! I got a couple mirrors for the Falcon, and a spun aluminum "Moon tank" copy cheap.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I treated myself this Father's day. I have a Makita 18 Volt drill/driver set but the batteries are lame, expensive, rendered useless cause if one cell runs low it kills the entire battery's capacity to accept a charge. So instead of buying new batteries(which would have costed more than buying a new set) I picked up a Milwaukee M12 drill/ driver set and hear great things about it. The batteries are only $69 for 2 and I haven't read any horror stories about the batteries being defected like with the Makita ones. I'll try to find a buyer for the Makita set with charger but am thrilled about this purchase. I thought going back down to 12 volt was smart. Just don't need 18 volt for most applications.

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Driver/Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)-2494-22 at The Home Depot
I bought the colbalt(lowes) 18v set because of the 5year warranty, and every box said made in anyplace but USA.
it dies walk into lowes, walk you with another. unlike say Milwaukee, that send it back to them and wait.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Pulled everything off the front of the motor and dry fit the new condenser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01640 (Medium).JPG
Views:	28
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	74944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01644 (Medium).JPG
Views:	26
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	74945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01645 (Medium).JPG
Views:	24
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	74946  
Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
No, it is much too strong. Cutting it out and straightening it is much easier.

Brian
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
No, it is much too strong. Cutting it out and straightening it is much easier.

Brian
Bah, you're old fashioned... A dozen well placed studs and a little heat from your jewelers torch (with the new hose of course) and you're good as new...
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

After a 12 oz Prime Rib from my daughter for fathers day I wasn't much good to anyone today. I did spend an hour or two finessing the panel and rough trimming the toe board. Also aligned the door a little better.

Brian I was not able to tweak the hinges. I chickened out. Shims worked and I did not have to take a chance of damaging something.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
that bottom dent, can't you just use a stud gun welder to pull it back into shape?
I posted a response but didn't quote you so it looks out of place sorry.

The thing is the metal is very strong, and there is a brace inside that was also bent.

I did a little repair on the brace before I took this photo. But with the piece cut out it was an easy repair.

Here is the piece I cut out after cleaning it up. It is pretty badly damaged and a stud welder would have simply left it with a bunch of little lumps and not repaired.

Here it is repaired and ready to weld in. The gap won't be that big, it is just setting there. When it's moved over to the left it will have an even gap all the way around that will be easily welded.

But just a skim coat of polyester putty and it will be as good as new. Anyway, that's what I did on this Father's day. My kids came to visit and we had a great day. A couple of good meals, some playing with the grand daughter, it was a very good Father's day.

Brian
Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Not sure if it's right or wrong, but I've done it the same way Brian, so glad to see somebody else do it. I had a lower trunk drop on my Austin that was pretty mangled, and no room in there to work it. So I took the parting wheel and cut it all out, flattened it off the car, and then welded it back in.
I think it was much less work, and much faster too.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

No "right or wrong", simply another way to do it. It's often done in body repair for the reasons we have discussed.

Brian
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
No "right or wrong", simply another way to do it. It's often done in body repair for the reasons we have discussed.

Brian
That's a correct, "old school" repair on material that heavy. Most people are afraid of warping a panel with a welder and won't do what you did. Modern vehicles don't need more than a stud gun to pull a dent...

I spent my Fathers Day working on my New Holland 4610. I have a 7 ft ditch mower that is controlled by a 2 spool valve in the cab and it has leaked since day one.......10 years ago !!! Both the dealer and I have put o-ring kits in it numerous times, so I FINALLY (don't want to rush into this) replaced the entire valve yesterday. I haven't run it enough to know if it will eventually leak yet.
The PS pump/reservoir combo also let all the oil leak out while sitting. I called the dealer last week to inquire about a reman to just do a swap. I was informed New Holland didn't market a reman and a NEW one cost $865 !!! He said they had an o-ring kit for $50, so I dismantled the pump yesterday and put that in too. Then I moved on to the mower and replaced 6 of the cutting hammers. It really needs 12 more, which will make it 16 of the total 18 it has. I'll order more today and then wait for the bill.....the hammers with bolts cost ~$50~ each...

I mow the ditches for the Township I live in and the next one over, so it needs to be ready to mow this week. With the non-stop rain we've had, the weeds are 3 ft tall and obstructing vision at the intersections already.

My son mowed the yard as a "gift" to me yesterday. It really does save me time, as it takes nearly 2 hours to mow.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

Ahhh so you are one of those wonderful souls who keep those interstate highways looking so nice. I around here they don't look like that, weeds don't grow that fast and the sides of the highway are overgrown or brown. I am always amazed at how beautiful the sides of the highway looks in other parts of the country, they look like "lawn" to me, always cut and green. Thanks for what you do.

Brian
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I bought the colbalt(lowes) 18v set because of the 5year warranty, and every box said made in anyplace but USA.
it dies walk into lowes, walk you with another. unlike say Milwaukee, that send it back to them and wait.
it's a lot more participation than these other guys I work with. They probably will freak out when they see a lithium ion for "the first time". Damn cavemen!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ahhh so you are one of those wonderful souls who keep those interstate highways looking so nice. I around here they don't look like that, weeds don't grow that fast and the sides of the highway are overgrown or brown. I am always amazed at how beautiful the sides of the highway looks in other parts of the country, they look like "lawn" to me, always cut and green. Thanks for what you do.

Brian
Thanks, I only mow for the Township. County and State/Federal roads are done by them respectively.
I'm repairing a broken grease tube on the mower now but will post a couple "before and after" pics of what I do. It's quite amazing what this mower does.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That's sad when your hose deteriorates from non-use.....
Isn't that the truth!

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.