The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 270 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #4036 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
1971BB427's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,890
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 323 Times in 283 Posts
Had my first drive in the Falcon today. Lasted about 15 min. and everything worked good, shifted good, and steered/stopped well. Then just as I got right to my house the carnage began! The outter ring on the balancer came off, and shot out the side, right into my parking strip! Somehow it missed everything on the car, and only put a mark on the water pump pulley.
Of course I thought the whole engine had come apart, so it was pretty scarey at the time, but looks like a new balancer is all it needs. I think it had issues before, as I was checking TDC when I installed the cam, and noticed the mark was off about 45 degrees. I called around and did some searching, and found out there were 3-4 different timing marks on 454 balancers, and was assured it was just a wrong mark for my engine. I filed a new mark, and installed timing tape. Looks like maybe it wasn't a wrong mark, but a balancer outter ring that had already spun a bit.
I've got a new one coming from the local performance shop tomorrow, so I'll get it on and hope all is well after that!

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4037 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 03:53 PM
1971BB427's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,890
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 323 Times in 283 Posts
Deleted-double post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-17-2013)
  #4038 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,280
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,426
Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Deleted-double post.
YEOW! That's something that can cause some damage!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4039 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
1971BB427's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,890
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 323 Times in 283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
YEOW! That's something that can cause some damage!

Brian
Yes! I've had friends who had balancers explode, and it usually wasn't pretty! I am pretty lucky it happened at home, and just came off in one piece! It's wall art now, and a reminder of what could have been very ugly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4040 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 843
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 426
Thanked 302 Times in 266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Yes! I've had friends who had balancers explode, and it usually wasn't pretty! I am pretty lucky it happened at home, and just came off in one piece! It's wall art now, and a reminder of what could have been very ugly!
Your lucky with that balancer ,sounds like some one might have cleaned it with carb cleaner ,,I ruined mine that way carb cleaner swelled rubber and made it soft ,bought a fluid damper and timing mark was off like yours had to remark it,my original timing mark was at 12 o cloch the new on was at 2 o clock,

gooid to hear you got to drive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4041 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 26
Thanked 279 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Had my first drive in the Falcon today. Lasted about 15 min. and everything worked good, shifted good, and steered/stopped well. Then just as I got right to my house the carnage began! The outter ring on the balancer came off, and shot out the side, right into my parking strip! Somehow it missed everything on the car, and only put a mark on the water pump pulley.
Of course I thought the whole engine had come apart, so it was pretty scarey at the time, but looks like a new balancer is all it needs. I think it had issues before, as I was checking TDC when I installed the cam, and noticed the mark was off about 45 degrees. I called around and did some searching, and found out there were 3-4 different timing marks on 454 balancers, and was assured it was just a wrong mark for my engine. I filed a new mark, and installed timing tape. Looks like maybe it wasn't a wrong mark, but a balancer outter ring that had already spun a bit.
I've got a new one coming from the local performance shop tomorrow, so I'll get it on and hope all is well after that!
Be sure to measure the ID of the new balancer. Most of these are made in China and a China inch isn't the same as an american inch.. The balancers tend to be too tight and will split down the keyway when installed. Then BANG there goes the radiator,, seen it happen (or the results) a couple of times!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4042 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 69
Posts: 2,224
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,064
Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Had my first drive in the Falcon today. Lasted about 15 min. and everything worked good, shifted good, and steered/stopped well. Then just as I got right to my house the carnage began! The outter ring on the balancer came off, and shot out the side, right into my parking strip! Somehow it missed everything on the car, and only put a mark on the water pump pulley.
Of course I thought the whole engine had come apart, so it was pretty scarey at the time, but looks like a new balancer is all it needs. I think it had issues before, as I was checking TDC when I installed the cam, and noticed the mark was off about 45 degrees. I called around and did some searching, and found out there were 3-4 different timing marks on 454 balancers, and was assured it was just a wrong mark for my engine. I filed a new mark, and installed timing tape. Looks like maybe it wasn't a wrong mark, but a balancer outter ring that had already spun a bit.
I've got a new one coming from the local performance shop tomorrow, so I'll get it on and hope all is well after that!
Glad you dodged the bullit. That would be scary!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4043 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 69
Posts: 2,224
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,064
Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,148 Posts
Today was a good day. I really enjoyed playing in the basement today. Rusty is coming together though a little slower than I would like. The good thing is, I now know what I am going to do so it is just a matter of doing it.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4044 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 843
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 426
Thanked 302 Times in 266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Today was a good day. I really enjoyed playing in the basement today. Rusty is coming together though a little slower than I would like. The good thing is, I now know what I am going to do so it is just a matter of doing it.

John


Seems every one is moving fast on there projects,most of you stared months after I did and are farther along ,great work to all,,wont get to work on mine for a while got to go to DR Jeckel tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4045 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: maine
Posts: 89
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
fathers day

On Saturday I got my fender back for the my friends shop, he fixed the dent and matched the primer he did early. Put it on and installed the tail light and wiring. sunday was the car show at our local auto and air museum. Nice sunny day for a fathers day finally. Had my car inspected by the NSRA inspection team at the show for the first time and it passed. pretty happy about that. Back to mowing lawns tonight. SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4046 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM
1971BB427's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,890
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 323 Times in 283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Your lucky with that balancer ,sounds like some one might have cleaned it with carb cleaner ,,I ruined mine that way carb cleaner swelled rubber and made it soft ,bought a fluid damper and timing mark was off like yours had to remark it,my original timing mark was at 12 o cloch the new on was at 2 o clock,

gooid to hear you got to drive it.
You may be right David. It was soft when I examined it. The timing marks on my BBC are at 2:00 also. I will need to get new gilmer setup. I pulled it all off, and also the balancer. The water pump pulley is out of round, and can't get just the one pulley.

Thanks for the tip BOBCRMAN! I'll check it with my calipers to be sure it's not going to go on too tightly! The old one went on pretty tight, but looked original style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4047 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM
123pugsy's Avatar
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 52
Posts: 2,401
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 469
Thanked 283 Times in 243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
got to go to DR Jeckel tomorrow.
Hey. You use the same code words that I use when I have to talk to my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4048 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM
123pugsy's Avatar
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?
 
Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Markham,ON
Age: 52
Posts: 2,401
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks: 469
Thanked 283 Times in 243 Posts
Got the brackets and pulleys mocked up.

I need to drill and tap a hole in the head though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01660 (Medium).JPG
Views:	32
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	74975   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01661 (Medium).JPG
Views:	29
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	74976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01652 (Medium).JPG
Views:	31
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	74977  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4049 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 69
Posts: 2,224
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,064
Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Got the brackets and pulleys mocked up.

I need to drill and tap a hole in the head though.
I see the belt is loose Pugs. What tightens it up?

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4050 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 843
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 426
Thanked 302 Times in 266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
You may be right David. It was soft when I examined it. The timing marks on my BBC are at 2:00 also. I will need to get new gilmer setup. I pulled it all off, and also the balancer. The water pump pulley is out of round, and can't get just the one pulley.

Thanks for the tip BOBCRMAN! I'll check it with my calipers to be sure it's not going to go on too tightly! The old one went on pretty tight, but looked original style.
Check with ASA performance Columbus Ga on web,/ ABAD71CAMARO.on ebay

it is the same company ,I think they sell individual parts .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



« Trivia thread | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (1 members and 6 guests)
Too Many Projects
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hahaha Remember that "Hemi in a Camaro" thread... Crazy Mopar Guy Hotrodding Basics 14 09-25-2014 01:32 PM
Another engine "tick" diagnosis thread....(long) ForceFed86 Engine 2 04-09-2011 03:54 PM
Increase thread title "preview" time cboy Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 16 07-03-2008 08:45 PM
MuscleCarKid_1991 "Senior Project" thread: Dumped Jon Engine 2 03-22-2008 08:01 PM
"Trial fitting parts" thread vs. paint thickness rcurrier44 Body - Exterior 3 01-26-2005 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.