The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 271 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I see the belt is loose Pugs. What tightens it up?

John
It's just mocked up now. Final install, I will adjust with the slots on the alt and compressor brackets. I sure hope there is enough play left. I can't really check until I get the power steering pulley installed. It's sitting loose for the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC01601 (Medium).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	74978  

Advertisement

Last edited by 123pugsy; 06-17-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
John long (06-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Today was a good day. I really enjoyed playing in the basement today. Rusty is coming together though a little slower than I would like. The good thing is, I now know what I am going to do so it is just a matter of doing it.

John
Isn't it amazing how my we can enjoy this stuff? It's just amazing how different each of us are, there are many many people who just couldn't imagine going out and cutting and welding on a car as enjoyable.

Brian
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Got the brackets and pulleys mocked up.

I need to drill and tap a hole in the head though.
I would cut a piece of strap and bolt it to the existing hole in the head and run it up to the bracket bolt. Weld a nut on the back of the strap for the bracket bolt. Looks like you have room for a nut at the bracket and a spacer at the existing bolt hole.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Isn't it amazing how my we can enjoy this stuff? It's just amazing how different each of us are, there are many many people who just couldn't imagine going out and cutting and welding on a car as enjoyable.

Brian
LOL. Doing the first side is going to be exciting and rewarding. Repeating it on the other side is going to be work. Hopefully it will go much quicker and easier though.

John
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Today I worked on absolutely nothing, except in my head and on the internet and standing in front of a project, etc. Just came off a 12 day marathon of reassembling a 76 Dodge W200 Crewcab. There really is nothing like a drop deadline to make things come together. My most demanding customer (she shares my last name) required the truck for a camping trip. Had to leave a few things undone....panel alignment, glass run channel (didn't ship in time), the rest of the custom interior, speedometer cable (wrong length and I couldn't stretch it) and the wheels (uuuuggggly). Loaded a camper on it (first time), filled it up at the gas station and proudly drove it home. After we had loaded all our supplies in it and were ready to take off for a weekend adventure, I noticed gas leaking......from inside the cab.......freshly Raamatted.....with new carpet. Unloaded everything, sent the wife and kids to camp in our van and took the truck back down to the shop. Tore the gas tank out and found a row of rust and pinholes where the factory foam pad was installed on the back of the tank. Sourced a used tank, installed it and managed to meet my family and friends for a weekend of camping. Now it's time to FINISH....but today I rest.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

finished putting on trim on the 1969 Cougar and then blocked some fenders on the 55 Chevy. Should be our best work yet in the 2 years I've been here. this job will be one notch above any show car we've done for them and at this time it's a good thing to do their work up like champs, especially with the old painter trying to poach the work away from us. Anywho, it's going red and gun metal gray metallic and will be our latest velvet rope "princess" the guys next door haul all around the country to car shows.

In other news, we have connected with an awesome fabricator who does his own chassis work/ customs and we will be doing his paint and body and his first project is going to SEMA, so me and the old man will be on that exclusively.

Last edited by tech69; 06-17-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Today I drove over to the San Francisco Bay area (Oakland) to look at a 1949 Ford 4dr that on ebay. I'm looking for a project and the price is going to be right. I think. Last week I missed out on a drivable 99% 60 T Bird by 8 seconds and $50. The 49 is about 95% there and NO Rust! Thats what made it interesting. I got ahold of the guy and asked if I could preview it. No problem. So off I go. Its located in a dirt lot in front of a closed service station 1000' from the San Francisco bay. Original paint, ran when they brought it in from South Lake Tahoe 40 years ago and had been stored inside all those years. Very rebuildable. One rear door dented and the hood had a area that needs work. otherwise the car is straight. Did I mention NO Rust? His reserve is $1200.
The gentleman tells me that it was part of his father's collection and the collection has over two hundred cars. I asked him what else he had and were they going on ebay. Yes they will be. He says "Have you got a little time?' Yep says I and off we walked to a large building down the road. I'm in a old shipyard. Brian you'll like this and you'll recognize it's value (it's a quarter mile from the AMTRACK Station in Jack London Square and this man's father own's 5 1/2 acres of waterfront property. The only privately owned piece on the Oakland side of the Bay!
Back to the building. He opens the doors and it is packed with cars and trucks from the 30's to the sixties. A little bit if everything. All rough but very little rust. Engines all,over the place. In this lot there's a 1949 Merc that he's going to let me know when it come's up for auction. 100% complete all original . It was driven in 40 years ago and parked. This building is darker than hades so I really couldn't see much but theres only about 50 cars in there. I asked where's the rest? Have you got a few minutes? Yep says I. We drive about 3 miles away to another large building in the business district. and enter through a small side door. I walk into this building and it's a freaking museum!! If you ever watch Chasing Classic Cars and you see some rich guys private collection They exist!! Row after row of mostly Fords but again a little of everything. His Muntz Jet caught my eye right off the bat. A row of 30's Fords, a row of 40's Fords, 50's ,60,s nothing particularly rare but all for the most part original low mileage cars. Unfortunately he ran ou of time and I got to see about one quarter of the collection. Whod a thunk!!

Anybody looking for a rust free 49 four door. The auction is ending soon. I'm waiting for that Merc!

BB

Ford : Other gray int. in Ford | eBay Motors
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

Wild Mike, geeez wealth fascinates me.

I got the piece welded into the door and I am off finishing up the sectioning on the door. I went to get that done. I need to clean up the rust on the inside and get it primed.

Brian

Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

boothboy, if you don't buy his cars offer to do work on them...and take him to the cleaners!!!

Oh and Martin, let's see a before AND after pic of your weld next time, please.

Last edited by tech69; 06-18-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

Sorry Henry, you will need to buy a ticket if you want the whole show. The welds on something like that had better not be real pretty, welding in something like that takes MANY small welds as to not heat the metal much, they aren't to be shown as an example of welding beauty. They aren't "beads" they are many very small welds.

But buy the season tickets and I will be glad to give you a back stage pass.

Brian
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

tacks on an open butt weld aren't pretty but it's like a badge of honor and shows skill level. I love grinding my welds down for the glamour shot but also like to show it raw in all its imperfections. I have faith in your welds and knowledge and they can't be bad as Len's welds. So next time can I suggest more pics and even maybe of the initial few tacks all around???...love those ones.

edit: I'm just happy to see you working on something...about time! Thank me for the motivation...or flame under your butt

Last edited by tech69; 06-18-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I would cut a piece of strap and bolt it to the existing hole in the head and run it up to the bracket bolt. Weld a nut on the back of the strap for the bracket bolt. Looks like you have room for a nut at the bracket and a spacer at the existing bolt hole.
I'll have to think about this. I'm a little nervous about drilling the head, but the more time that goes by, the braver I get. Or is that dumber?

I may call World today to see if I can safely drill 1/2'' deep or so.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

My current build wuz spose to be a 383,but,circumstances, have changed my direction.I didn't ck piston depth on teardown,so,I reinstalled the crank & pistons 1,7,2,&8 to get a reading.All 4 were sittin .028 inthe hole ckn inline with the wristpin.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'll have to think about this. I'm a little nervous about drilling the head, but the more time that goes by, the braver I get. Or is that dumber?

I may call World today to see if I can safely drill 1/2'' deep or so.
If the hole goes into the oil return galley, you'll be OK. I've done that in a pinch (read screw-up). If you can only drill 1/2" near the combustion chamber, you'll only get a couple threads. The drill bit has the point taper to contend with and then a tapered tap will barely start that shallow. A bottoming tap will get threads down near the taper but it still won't be more than 3 threads on a course thread bolt. I would be concerned about it holding for long.

I see another threaded hole in the head near the exhaust. You could make a triangulated bracket and use both those holes for rigidity and strength. It would appear like another Allen Grove bracket... I have his sets for my alt, ps and a/c comp too. Looks like a puzzle when I opened the boxes...
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
My current build wuz spose to be a 383,but,circumstances, have changed my direction.I didn't ck piston depth on teardown,so,I reinstalled the crank & pistons 1,7,2,&8 to get a reading.All 4 were sittin .028 inthe hole ckn inline with the wristpin.
Hmmmm.........blower motor now ...

Wrong crankshaft, rods or pistons ??

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.