The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 272 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Got the brackets and pulleys mocked up.

I need to drill and tap a hole in the head though.
These install with 1 long bolt in head and 2 in water pump very sturdy ,the one on my engine came with bracket ,SSbolts,SS turnbuckle for around $50 from ASA performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	555-50550.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	74993   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac bracket.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	74994   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACCESORYS 003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	74995  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

This is a better picture o install.,this might or might not be some thing you would want,it has about 4 in of adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ACCESORYS 002.jpg
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	74996  
Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
If the hole goes into the oil return galley, you'll be OK. I've done that in a pinch (read screw-up). If you can only drill 1/2" near the combustion chamber, you'll only get a couple threads. The drill bit has the point taper to contend with and then a tapered tap will barely start that shallow. A bottoming tap will get threads down near the taper but it still won't be more than 3 threads on a course thread bolt. I would be concerned about it holding for long.

I see another threaded hole in the head near the exhaust. You could make a triangulated bracket and use both those holes for rigidity and strength. It would appear like another Allen Grove bracket... I have his sets for my alt, ps and a/c comp too. Looks like a puzzle when I opened the boxes...

Yep. Alan Grove brackets. They're not bad. I ended up adding a bracket to the front header bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
These install with 1 long bolt in head and 2 in water pump very sturdy ,the one on my engine came with bracket ,SSbolts,SS turnbuckle for around $50 from ASA performance.
Quote:
This is a better picture o install.,this might or might not be some thing you would want,it has about 4 in of adjustment.
Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:45 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
You may be right David. It was soft when I examined it. The timing marks on my BBC are at 2:00 also. I will need to get new gilmer setup. I pulled it all off, and also the balancer. The water pump pulley is out of round, and can't get just the one pulley.

Thanks for the tip BOBCRMAN! I'll check it with my calipers to be sure it's not going to go on too tightly! The old one went on pretty tight, but looked original style.
Definitely need to check it. I had to buff out an aftermarket damper for a guy's 454 Monte Carlo. It wouldn't even start on. I buffed it out with a small flapper wheel on a die grinder, to where it went on the first inch or so, without a lot of trouble. Still had to drive on it with a block of wood and a shop hammer and finish it up with the bolt.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Yep. Alan Grove brackets. They're not bad. I ended up adding a bracket to the front header bolt.

Thanks.
I should have thought about that since my 327 has on on the other side for P/S since there are no holes in heads (camel humps) it also hooks to front two exaust bolts and a t bracket.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Hmmmm.........blower motor now ...

Wrong crankshaft, rods or pistons ??
I thought .028 down the hole was pretty much a stock set up. Am I wrong ? Sounds like regular rebuilders pistons. Allows for decking the block.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I put the Falcon back together today. New balancer, water pump, and fixed the pulley for now. I was able to weld up a die to put on my 12 ton press and press out the couple dents in it. It spins true, but cosmetically still needs to be replaced when I can find one cheap.
BOBCRMAN-Your advice on balancer dimensions was great! I took the old one, and my dial calipers along, and checked it all before I laid down my money. Salesman thought I was sorta anal, but I could care less. It saved me doing it again, and it went right on! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Weeded my garden ,mowed 2 acres with a push mower , baby sat my grand kids, put a switch on the blue lights I installed in my Vettes side louvers that come on with the lights so if I get pulled over I can shut them off, installed a kill switch on the Vettes ignition, and pulled it out and washed it for the first time this year!

Jester

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...37160214702147
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 120.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	75002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 121.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	75003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 118.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	75004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 123.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	75005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 114.jpg
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	75006  

Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I put the Falcon back together today. New balancer, water pump, and fixed the pulley for now. I was able to weld up a die to put on my 12 ton press and press out the couple dents in it. It spins true, but cosmetically still needs to be replaced when I can find one cheap.
BOBCRMAN-Your advice on balancer dimensions was great! I took the old one, and my dial calipers along, and checked it all before I laid down my money. Salesman thought I was sorta anal, but I could care less. It saved me doing it again, and it went right on! Thanks!

That might have been my problem also,i had to take a brake cyl hone to the inside of mine it would go on about half way then stop would not pull on up even with a balancer installer..it is a Fluid Damper I bought from Ebay ,probably why they sold it, fits the old saying You Get what you pay for.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Not much for me, but I did put a half hour or so in tonight before I ran over to my daughters school to help decorate for her big graduation from elementary school tomorrow. Oh yeah, and by the way, she is a straight A student!

So on the truck I sand blasted and cleaned up on the door, still have a little bit more before I can prime it and then weld it back together.

Brian
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
That might have been my problem also,i had to take a brake cyl hone to the inside of mine it would go on about half way then stop would not pull on up even with a balancer installer..it is a Fluid Damper I bought from Ebay ,probably why they sold it, fits the old saying You Get what you pay for.
I buy a lot of my parts on Ebay, but sometimes I get stuck with junk, or things I have to rework to use.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM

355 vortec heads

put a 355 together with vortec heads noisy gear drive and .450/.450 lift cam ran great on the stand.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Didn't do alot today but did install my push rods and bolted down my tunnel ram, Also installed my harmonic balancer and oil and filter On my C-Cab..
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

finally the van side arrived at the shop. I handled cutting out the side on the van and the other guys tag teamed the chunk of steel by cutting out spot welds. One problem...Fords use weld bond/panel adhesive around the wheels on their vans and bed sides. So yeah, that's gonna be fun cutting that outer wheel house out(donor) and having to separate it without messing up the skin. Thank god the wheel house on the van needs to be pulled so it looks like I'll be tied up. I'll bring in my mini torch and have them cut around the wheel house(donor) and then heat up that wheel house lip while trying to separate it.

Also to follow up on something I said earlier. I mentioned loosening up the body bolts in the rear to release tension and let the body relax to square up the hole/rear door opening. It worked a little bit but I sped up the process with a huge sledge hammer and 4x4. Rather than gauging the results by looking at the door I did that but put more importance on looking at the mark where the mount used to be and how much I got back. It became unbunched. and the gap to the door got better.

anywho, the Cougar left today and the owner will be installing the head lights/taillights/ rear bumper/ door handles and then it gets new interior and subframed. So it will definitely come back in a month or so for a complimentary rub and I'll get pics of the interior. Got some pics of it today partially assembled and detailed. I'll upload those in a few days. Car turned out well for not being show quality. The team is clicking right now.

Last edited by tech69; 06-18-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Quote:
Hmmmm.........blower motor now ...

Wrong crankshaft, rods or pistons ??
No.I didn't ck @ teardown cuz my plans were to change crank.Since it'll now be a 350 or 355 build with the same crank,I reinstalled original crank to ck befor I hav block decked.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.