The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 283 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
It is stainless not chrome ,I guess chrome would just scratch and rust..Just over $230 plus freight.
Good price for mirror polished stainless.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I had the boys at the shop cut me some mirror stainless the same shape as the Vintage Air panels and got them bolted up.

The a/c unit is pushed up under the dash. Just needs two bolts and a couple of tapping screws to finish hanging it.
You could shave in that mirror finish!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
You could shave in that mirror finish!
I could, but this truck won't get any extra work until after the hot rod is done. Could be another ten years or so.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

stippped the hood latch panel for my truck today ,,not an easy task when it is powder coated ,tried to scull prime and paint but that didn't work,i started with 80 griy would not cut paint so I dropped down to 36 griy and broke the surface then applied aircraft stripper,,,Noy like it was a few years ago,,after stripper cut 1 coat at a time finally got down to metal then I glass beaded entire panel then applied POR15 I will let it dry until Monday,scuff and prime.i took pictures but left camera at shop.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

Got the narrowed 9" off the bench and under the chassis. Installed brake line mount tabs for the front frame to axle soft brake lines. Installed backing plates with brake components. Installed soft brake lines.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,254 Posts
Finished drilling the spot welds out of the floor pan and uncovered the next 2 sets of body mounts.

I had ordered a box of 50grit 3inch Rolocs but when they arrived today there were only 20 in the box of 25. I called Amazon expecting them to tell me to send them back but the rep cheerfully told me she would give me store credit for the missing 5. Pretty cool solution I thought.

Went to a good little show at a local church tonight. everything was free including the food. It was a really good night.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,152 Posts
Today being my wedding anniversary I spent the morning and afternoon with my wonderful wife in San Francisco for an amazing time in North Beach where some of the best food in the world is available to you, and we took advantage of that!

But being the wonderful wife she is we came home to me going out to the garage to get something done on the truck. I spent the evening working on the door to get it welded up. The hinges needed modification to get everything fitting as good as it's gonna. I will be welding it together tomorrow and then getting those braces in to start on the roof. Below you will see my high tech door skin rolling device.

Brian

Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Happt anniversary Brian

David
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Happy Anniversary to Brian and Mrs Martin!

I spent the day doing more "Flush & fill" on my new toy. Finally got the engine oil to look as good coming OUT as it did going IN! (fill, run it for 20 min, shut off & drain. Repeat 7 times)

AND the hydraulic system (looked like a strawberry milkshake when I drained the tank the first time.)

Seems this poor lil guy sat outside for 5 years in this rainy climate B4 it became desperate and followed me home t'other day.

Brakes are now flushed as well - but gotta be adjusted.

THEN I need to find a 6V generator for it - or a 6V alternator- or maybe just re-do it as a 12V system
Old 06-30-2013, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

I got the evaporator unit mounted, all the ducts cut and duct adaptors installed.

I went to push the line that is attached to the TX valve forward thru the firewall plate and the #%&(@!3 tx valve came loose. I managed to get a wrench in the inch and a half space and snug it up but I'm not confident. The whole thing will probably need to come out to get some good wrenching done.

I'm not impressed at all so far with this Vintage Air set up. They need someone to engineer their mounting and piping system a bit better.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

What did I do today, it was a mixture, some easy some ball buster and some home work.

First off repaired a shelf that fell off the wall night before last. Bizarre thing I'll tell you that! This antque shelf had one TINY little screw, I am talking 3/16" long or so number 4 holding a little bracket on each side, ONE screw. I never looked at it, just hung it and put a bunch of knicknacks on it, I BUNCH, little ceramic goodies from vacations and what not. The whole thing came tumbling to the floor last night and not a single one broke! They got their fall softened by a back pack, that was it, nothing broke. Anyway I will make new brackets with more screws. But last night and today, it was gluing it up.

On the truck I got the rear inner panel all removed, now that I will be enlarging the rear window I will use the inside as is from the other roof.

And got the door tack welded together and trial fit......about 22 times! Oh yeah this was fun, the hinges on these trucks barely move, and the doors fit like crap from the factory so with the doors being from a different cab AND that little thing that they are sectioned they need a bit of work. This one was worse than the other side as I remember but maybe it's just that I am the one that is rusty.

I got the roof cut off and rolled her outside for a photo. I have to tell you this little cart I made works GREAT! Man am I happy I did that.

I wanted to keep going but with it as hot as it is, I needed to call it quits for the day.

Brian
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What did I do today, it was a mixture, some easy some ball buster and some home work.

On the truck I got the rear inner panel all removed, now that I will be enlarging the rear window I will use the inside as is from the other roof.

And got the door tack welded together and trial fit......about 22 times! Oh yeah this was fun, the hinges on these trucks barely move, and the doors fit like crap from the factory so with the doors being from a different cab AND that little thing that they are sectioned they need a bit of work. This one was worse than the other side as I remember but maybe it's just that I am the one that is rusty.

I got the roof cut off and rolled her outside for a photo. I have to tell you this little cart I made works GREAT! Man am I happy I did that.

I wanted to keep going but with it as hot as it is, I needed to call it quits for the day.

Brian
That is a nifty little cart, and looks like it really makes the project easily portable!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Too hot here to do much car work, and almost too hot to enjoy the cars when they don't have AC in them! We hit the local "shoot and show" at a small gun club outside town. Nice setting with parking on the grass and shade trees to sit in. The drive back in 98 degrees was not quite as nice, but the insulation-sound deadener I put on the floors really decreased the heat transfer inside the car!
The Falcon somehow pulled out a "judges choice" award. Not sure how that happened, but it was a pleasant surprise!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,254 Posts
Quote:
Too hot here to do much car work, and almost too hot to enjoy the cars when they don't have AC in them! We hit the local "shoot and show" at a small gun club outside town. Nice setting with parking on the grass and shade trees to sit in. The drive back in 98 degrees was not quite as nice, but the insulation-sound deadener I put on the floors really decreased the heat transfer inside the car!
The Falcon somehow pulled out a "judges choice" award. Not sure how that happened, but it was a pleasant surprise!
Even though I am not a trophy fan, it is a really nice compliment when you win one. Congratulations.

John
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
That is a nifty little cart, and looks like it really makes the project easily portable!
Oh my God yes! I am thrilled with this cart! I did it at first just so I could get the cab into the shop from out in the yard. I could have put much smaller wheels (that I had) and casters, If it were just to move around the garage and what not, that would have been plenty. But I had to put the larger wheels on it to get it out of the back yard "wrecking yard". I went to HF and the wheels were on sale for 4 bucks! With junk I had around the yard (old rusty tubing and stuff) I built it in damn near minutes with bolts as axles welded to the tubing. I used some jack stands that were already cut up anyway for a frame set I did years ago. I first just set it on the stands but quickly got a little creepy feeling that it was going to fall over so I welded the top of the stand to the cart. It works GREAT, I will be able to pull it out onto the lawn to sand blast, I am really glad I did it.

My son and I were about to pull the roof off and put it out in the back yard on a stand and we would have had to muscle it out of the garage and it hit me, I can roll it out into the driveway, that is what I did and it was a piece of cake to get the roof off.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.