The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 285 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

108 yesterday and 109 today. No fun.

Advertisement

Last edited by tech69; 07-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
108 yesterday and 109 today. Most importantly, what's bothering me is this shop altogether. I have seen guys held down and now I'm one of them. So I do all the train wrecks and hardest jobs and my body work and welding is A LOT cleaner than the other tech yet I have to act like it's some secret and it's not so. I think my new approach is to be open about it. Next time they act like hypocrites and over criticize me then I'll bring up truth about what I deal with. The owner is a clown. What kind of restoration shop that has top notch customers hires a a guy that worked in a junk yard and a long criminal record to be our manager? Within two weeks this dude was doing our taxes, so he gave this guy our SS#'s? Makes no fricken sense and now we have two hack minded people who have no clue. The guys are just fricken idiots I tell you. Just over it and am waiting for another opening in a good restoration shop. Can't deal with these idiots anymore. I shouldn't have to prove myself and THEN point out stuff cause they are too stupid to see it.
I know what you mean.. Hope that door open's for you.. Keep your head up Brother...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

sorry the rant. Just frustrating.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
sorry the rant. Just frustrating.
Been there before,, I feel your pain.. Hope it all work's out... I know when I had them day's way back when I had to show them I wasn't just another guy... It always opened their eye's..Shame some people have to be pushed into showing them..
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
That will be a great touch 1971BB.
Thanks John!
Beaches tomorrow night!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

No car work today. Spent the day trimming limbs on a big fir tree out back. Planted it when we moved here 25 years ago, and it's 40' tall now. Took all the lower limbs off up about 12'-15' high. Cut up the large limbs and gave them to my buddy for firewood in his garage.
I'm whipped after the trimming; especially in the heat!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Thanks John!
Beaches tomorrow night!
LOL. Have I mentioned today I hate you. Seriously, I hope you guys have a great time. Wish I could meet you there.

I got the front body mount out tonight but spent most of my afternoon cleaning up the garage. My daughter and son-in-law are coming tomorrow. He is so neat I hate for him to see the way my shop looks most of the time.

John
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Now that Back to the 50's is over, it's time to tear into the coupe and make a "few" changes.

Swapping in a power rack.

Naked tunnel ram...

Replacement Performer RPM. Once the intake is on, I will mount the alt on the left to make room for the A/C comp on the right.

Found the right lower ball joint was loose. I've never seen a screw in joint before now. Apparently it's a common type with MS II tubular conversions. Looks like I found one at Speedway for '68-89 Chrysler.

As long as I had the spindle loose, I decide to check into the springs. The car rides like a lumber wagon and I had planned to make a change over winter. Looks like it might be now. I'm looking at a Carrera coil-over conversion at Speedway but want to talk to a tech tomorrow about spring rates.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Mid seventies here. Only got to work on the Stude parking brake today. Also helped a friend get started setting up a pr. of BBC 781 heads. Cut for big valves and mild port match.. Going on a 500 inch street motor. Trying to teach him how to correctly do seat pressures and valve angles..
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Been there before,, I feel your pain.. Hope it all work's out... I know when I had them day's way back when I had to show them I wasn't just another guy... It always opened their eye's..Shame some people have to be pushed into showing them..
puts me in a weird spot cause on one hand the old guy has taught me so much but on the other hand I'm stuck and can't let these guys know that I KNOW the deal of what's really going on around here cause it would be betraying my mentor.

It's gotten to the point where I just don't say anything cause it's not worth the time and stress.

Anywho, as for today's work...I put a Prius back together and a pick up. These metals companies use is just garbage! So by the fender where it meets the hood they often have a little trim piece that folds under the lip of the fender and to the a-pillar. So I was putting that piece in and it has a clip on the edge to hold it snug on the fender. So you snap it in and call it good. Thing was, this aftermarket fender metal was so flimsy that the clip that folds around the fender actually created an outwards ding on the fender top. The plastic isn't even very hard either. What a shame. This kind of metal is soo cheap that if you're mocking up a fender and decide to push on the fender you might create some dings. It has happened to me twice so far.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL. Have I mentioned today I hate you. Seriously, I hope you guys have a great time. Wish I could meet you there.

I got the front body mount out tonight but spent most of my afternoon cleaning up the garage. My daughter and son-in-law are coming tomorrow. He is so neat I hate for him to see the way my shop looks most of the time.

John
We'll be thinking of you John!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
John long (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,079 Posts
After I worked so hard last night I thought tonight I would give myself a little break and get in and relax a bit. So I fabbed up some brackets for the shelf I repaired and painted them. But there is no way I am going to not put in my five minutes! So I cut off the two B pillars so I can extend them raising the top a half inch. Spent some time on planing cuts to the A pillars as well.

I had to play a bit and I got a few more photos of my automotive idle Harley Earl up on the wall as inspiration.

Brian

Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Ran to the parts store this morning and picked up a high flow 160 degree T stat and put it in the Falcon. Hope to get the engine to run lower than 200-210 degrees that it does when I'm idling now. Then I got the welder out and finished welding the hood opening lip, so I could get some filler and primer on it. The bare metal is starting to rust a bit. Got that done, so I guess the temp test will be idling in line to get into the drags/cruise this afternoon.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Normaly a hot idle is an air flow problem not a water flow problem in my experience ,are you running a fan shroud and a two speed fan ,and is thermostat housing lower than radiator car to prevent air pockets,,,i had to make a shroud for my radiator fan it would overheat at idle 220 and still going had to shut it down and leave fan running to cool it down ,after I made the fan shroud it rons about 190 idle as long as I need to, this might not be your problem but it sounds like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RADIATOR 002.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	75391  
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Normaly a hot idle is an air flow problem not a water flow problem in my experience ,are you running a fan shroud and a two speed fan ,and is thermostat housing lower than radiator car to prevent air pockets,,,i had to make a shroud for my radiator fan it would overheat at idle 220 and still going had to shut it down and leave fan running to cool it down ,after I made the fan shroud it rons about 190 idle as long as I need to, this might not be your problem but it sounds like it.
That is a good looking shroud David. How did it effect your interstate driving.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.