The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 287 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,216 Posts
My daughter and son-in-law came today and I think I have figured out how to post thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	75428  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
My daughter and son-in-law came today and I think I have figured out how to post thumbnails
It's easy Mr.John... Look's like you got it...Better go back to your thread there's a wise guy running loose over there...
Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

LOL! Yes there is.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
LOL, well......I woke up 150 miles from home where my Truck is, but I still got something done on it. I got my Black Diamond blasting media for it being there aren't any stores around here that sell it. Then tonight I got home after 10:00 but still got out there and did some planning, I plan on raising the running boards a few inches and it was on my mind the whole way home. I got out there to my wrecking yard behind the garage with my flash light to see that I can VERY easily raise the running board brackets up on the frame that much, it will take almost zero modification (just a little trim off the top) so that was cool.

I also did some checking on the doors for some other things I had in my head. So tonight I can go to sleep knowing what I can do tomorrow.

The thing I didn't do was win the 53-55 Corvette gas door I was trying to win on eBay for it, DARN. I have plenty of time but I would love to get it so I can get that out of my head.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I just went for a test drive in the truck. Man, does she blow cold. I don't know why I was fooling around with that factory A/C junk stuff all this time.

The serpentine belt runs smooth as silk with no squealing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01720 (Medium).JPG
Views:	26
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	75436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01722 (Medium).JPG
Views:	26
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	75437  
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

We headed out to a big once a year street cruise in Camas, Wa. $20 entry, but it's always had a lot of great cars. Well the local police decided to mess with the format, and control how the cars came in to park. After an hour of waiting we decided to give up, and headed 15 miles north to a small weekly free cruise in a private park at Alderbrook. The setting was a grassy meadow, with a great restaurant, and beautiful scenery out in the woods. The drive there was also very nice, with winding country roads leading into the park.
We had a great time, and met some nice people who welcomed us to the show. It sure was a pleasant change to blacktop, and waiting in line!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
John long (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

A quick VIDEO of fire up before I broke the body off the frame!
http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/Ka...65367.mp4.html
Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO 48 fleetline View Post
A quick VIDEO of fire up before I broke the body off the frame!
002_zps39565367.mp4 Video by Karmtom | Photobucket
If I am not mistaken I believe that is one of those "Hot rod" cars right? Very cool, very cool indeed.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

I thought I was going to get a lot more done today but I am beat and feeling a little funky. Anyway, I did get a bunch of cleaning done, scraped off the installation from the back of the firewall and got a bunch of rust out of the quarters and cowl, saw a little more sun light that I care to darn it, but it's not too bad. I prepped the B pillars to weld the pieces back on to raise the top up a 1/2".

I had a friend who passed away and stuck this sticker on the dash back then. He loved streetrodding and had a very nice Model A coupe, damn he was a nice guy. CRAP. Anyway, I can't help but be shaken back into reality at how wonderful this life is when I am out there "working" (playing) on my truck and I see this sticker.

I then got my tools out of the shed where they had been buried now for 20 years. I had forgotten the name of the brake and the english wheel, "Dollar stretcher tools". They are "ok" as I have been able to fab some stuff I never would have been able to without them. The English wheel had a very funky lower die on it. I picked up an old fender repair tool from the thirties that had a better one and I had a machine shop turn out the holes for a bearing, as well as the upper wheel. It's much better now, we will see, I'll start playing with it at some point and we will see. I haven't used it since I changed the wheel. The brake wasn't too bad but I use to put my long Vice grip C clamps to keep the center of a long bend tight.

These planishing hammers are really cool, got one along with the Pexco (before they were called Pexco ) bead roller at a body shop going out of business for $25!
The other one along with three "Bodies" and a few dies I got from a customer when I was a paint rep for a trade of a fresh air respirator pump that I got for free so I lucked out big time on these. They are a really neat tool. I need to make a wall mount to hook them too. The English wheel was a "bench mount" and I made the mounts to bolt it to the wall, made a lot more sense. But with the planishing hammer I am going to have to make a cable operated foot control being the hand one makes no sense at all unless you are holding the tool on a fender which is how it was designed to work. But with it mounted on the wall I'll be able to use it like an English wheel holding the metal and stepping on the control to turn it on.

But I just pooped out and couldn't get any more done.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

I went over to help my buddy sort out wiring on his '69 Nova. I discovered why the previous owner had so many things mickey moused. It seems there's either corrosion, or some sort of bad connections in the bulkhead connector. I could trace several circuits to the connector, but nothing out of it on the engine bay.
We got lights, turn signals, and engine wiring done, but need to pull the power brake booster to open the connector and see what's going on in there.
When I got home my swap meet MSD 6AL box was back from repair! I gave $100 for a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor, and the MSD box, but it wouldn't fire my engine when I wired it in. The box was faulty, and MDS found several bad components. Only cost $43 to fix and ship back, so still a bargain price! I'll reinstall it tomorrow after our monthly Sunday morning breakfast! Wife and I are celebrating our 34th anniversary tomorrow, so she's riding along this month, and we'll take in a movie after late breakfast.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I went over to help my buddy sort out wiring on his '69 Nova. I discovered why the previous owner had so many things mickey moused. It seems there's either corrosion, or some sort of bad connections in the bulkhead connector. I could trace several circuits to the connector, but nothing out of it on the engine bay.
We got lights, turn signals, and engine wiring done, but need to pull the power brake booster to open the connector and see what's going on in there.
When I got home my swap meet MSD 6AL box was back from repair! I gave $100 for a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor, and the MSD box, but it wouldn't fire my engine when I wired it in. The box was faulty, and MDS found several bad components. Only cost $43 to fix and ship back, so still a bargain price! I'll reinstall it tomorrow after our monthly Sunday morning breakfast! Wife and I are celebrating our 34th anniversary tomorrow, so she's riding along this month, and we'll take in a movie after late breakfast.

34 years! Wow, she must be a good woman.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
34 years! Wow, she must be a good woman.

John
She is John; especially for putting up with me that long!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
She is John; especially for putting up with me that long!
I'm thinking she deserves a trophy for putting up with you.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Holy Bleep! I thought I was the only one THAT lucky. She and I will celebrate 35 years of marriage on Oct 7 (Actually I will celebrate my extreme good luck, while I think she will be mourning her bad luck! )

Congratulations, John! It takes a very rare and a very special person to put up with us odd-balls known as hotrodders! Cherish her and thank your lucky stars that she allows you to share her life.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

M/T Valve Covers

I had bought a pair of these several years ago, and discovered that one of them was cracked around the gasket flange.

I'm waiting on other things right now, and felt the urge to recondition them.

I used a bit of Norton Speedgrip to fill in the crack as it is black, sandable, paintable ... not to mention a very strong adhesive. Then I clamped it up with a little bit of flat stock that I had shaped and drilled, then bolted into place to keep everything clamped nice and securely.

[

I had the other cover sanded down, ready for primer and VHT wrinkle-finish black. I'll let it dry overnight (hope to see some texture?!) the sand off the exposed areas. Doesn't look TOO bad so far.

Last edited by 66GMC; 07-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.