The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 289 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Let me preface this by saying I love MSD products. But some parts of the company are sure screwed up, or at least less than perfect!
I installed the freshly rebuilt 6AL box on the Falcon today, and no spark. So I did the troubleshooting test, and got spark. Since I'd just fired the Falcon, I knew all the components were good, so went back to the diagram to double check my wiring. All good, so called MSD tech line. After a short conversation he asks what distributor I have, and then says I've got it wired wrong for a Mallory magnetic pickup, as they aren't a Hall Effects magnetic. I tell him it's wired exactly like their instructions say, and he ignores me and tells me to wire it like a points distributor. When I told him they should fix their instructions he just said, "Wire it like it had points and it will be fine."
So I wired it like a points distributor, and it worked great. I'm not sure if they don't care if the instructions for a Unilite are wrong, or if they want to leave them wrong so people will have trouble using a Unilite with an MSD and give up on Mallory? Seems like they'd want to at least fix the instructions on their web site so people who download instructions would get the correct diagram.
After getting the MSD back on I finally got my secondary links made for the ladder bar brackets. I had a single pivot point, and it allowed too much pinion travel before snubbing it, so wheel hop could be an issue on launch. Drove it around afterwards and it seems to allow plenty of suspension travel, and still control pinion travel.

Did more cleaning and painting also. Got the rear axle, springs, and most of the frame and floors completed. Still have to clean and paint the area behind the axle and around the gas tank.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,050 Posts
The Falcon is looking good, it should be illegal to have so much fun as that car will provide!

I came home to my son breaking a mercury vapor light I have out back so I had to get to the hardware store and get the parts and fix it.

After that, I marked and cut the B pillars on the truck. I am waiting for my Ospho to get the rust taken care of on the roof then I will get it on there. So until then I will work on the doors, I still need to finish them.

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Brian! I finished off the undercarriage cleaning and painting last evening after the sun set, and it cooled off! Going to pick up my stencils today to put the name on the rear quarters. This will be temporary of course, until I get paint this fall/winter. But I'm having two sets of stencils made, so I can have a second set to use after paint.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

The photo shop picture really looked good ,I think the letters were called monochromatic or something like that back in the 60s and 70s ,I also like the Gold leaf very Nostalgic I wish I could do that I would put some Gold Leaf on my tailgate,The letters are very period correct for the Falcon Gaser,

I remember Herbert Platt and Grumpy Jenkins running at Cummings ga strip and the paint Platts Pinto had ,it looked like a snake shin on the roof and Gold leaf letters Very impressive ,Grumpy was in a Vega And won Final round.

this was Grumpys Vega ,I don't have herberts Pinto but this was his Falcon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th grumpys toy.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	75494   Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	75495  

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 07-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
1971BB427 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Not a good photo but it is all I can find ,,high teck paint for 72 or 73
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GDR-00443 Hubert Platt Pinto 1972.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	75507  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
The photo shop picture really looked good ,I think the letters were called monochromatic or something like that back in the 60s and 70s ,I also like the Gold leaf very Nostalgic I wish I could do that I would put some Gold Leaf on my tailgate,The letters are very period correct for the Falcon Gaser,

I remember Herbert Platt and Grumpy Jenkins running at Cummings ga strip and the paint Platts Pinto had ,it looked like a snake shin on the roof and Gold leaf letters Very impressive ,Grumpy was in a Vega And won Final round.

this was Grumpys Vega ,I don't have herberts Pinto but this was his Falcon

Those look great, and sure bring back good memories David! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Pretty hot today, but before it got too hot I went to Home Depot and picked up my wood paneling to use for the backer on the new door panels. Also picked up a 8'x6' piece of black carpet for the floors.
Came home and removed the two nasty door panels. Pretty wrinkled, stained, and torn.

Removed the vinyl and traced the patterns on new panel, then cut it out with the jigsaw. I had lots of cheap naugahyde left over from the Austin, so I used plain black naugahyde and contact cement to cover the new panels. I'll do the backs later, as it's too warm today!
Just simple smooth black panels, with factory trim and armrests. Less than $10 per panel, and way cheaper than repops, or custom.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-09-2013), tech69 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Very creative,with the will and knowhow you can create about any thing ,and make it looks goog nice job Vall.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Finished trimming my inner fenders. Used a combination of small air saw, nibbler and cut-off wheel. This was done to clear the MII suspension. Had been driving without them to get some road time in the last year and a half....about 1500 miles. Inner fenders are a MUST for a driven vehicle. I stripped one to bare metal and ospho'd; the other I degreased and scuffed with sandpaper. Using Bedliner coating from rustoleum in the wheel wells and rustoleum satin black paint on the engine side...will see which inner fender holds up best. I will be pulling sheet metal back off in a year or two for a nice painting as time and funds allow . Will post pics tomorrow...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyhogg View Post
Finished trimming my inner fenders. Used a combination of small air saw, nibbler and cut-off wheel. This was done to clear the MII suspension. Had been driving without them to get some road time in the last year and a half....about 1500 miles. Inner fenders are a MUST for a driven vehicle. I stripped one to bare metal and ospho'd; the other I degreased and scuffed with sandpaper. Using Bedliner coating from rustoleum in the wheel wells and rustoleum satin black paint on the engine side...will see which inner fender holds up best. I will be pulling sheet metal back off in a year or two for a nice painting as time and funds allow . Will post pics tomorrow...

I think you will like the spray in bed liner under fenders ,I used it no chips or peel and easy to clean mine has ben in about 3 yrs ,I am in prosses of repaint so I recoated them and moved my wires under fender for a cleaner look..

do the green led ligths glare at night, I have a blue one for high beam it is so bright I can not use them,it is only about toe size of a match head,

By the way your panel looks great,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headlight & fan 002.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	75517   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight & fan 003.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	75518   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACCESORYS 005.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	75519  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Butyl tape lessons

been a long time since I've dealt with the nasty stuff. I think the last was a Yukon??? Anyhow, I had forgotten that when you apply the butyl tape by areas where it bolts down you have to massage it in a way so it squirts out in the inside when you tighten the bolts and not the outside. Being the tape was stored in bad temps the fricken paper stuck so it was uneven and had to be tightened more than usual to get rid of voids in the tape, causing the tape to squirt and be a little noticeable. The second window went a lot smoother. Also learned leather gloves are great when working with the stuff, even better than rubber gloves. That was a surprise.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Pretty hot today, but before it got too hot I went to Home Depot and picked up my wood paneling to use for the backer on the new door panels. Also picked up a 8'x6' piece of black carpet for the floors.
Came home and removed the two nasty door panels. Pretty wrinkled, stained, and torn.

Removed the vinyl and traced the patterns on new panel, then cut it out with the jigsaw. I had lots of cheap naugahyde left over from the Austin, so I used plain black naugahyde and contact cement to cover the new panels. I'll do the backs later, as it's too warm today!
Just simple smooth black panels, with factory trim and armrests. Less than $10 per panel, and way cheaper than repops, or custom.

That looks GREAT! I got nothing done today, but I have to put in my five minutes so I got out there and did a little Ospho test. We will see tomorrow what it looks like being it was darn near dark when I got out there after falling asleep on the couch! Damn I am beat, don't know why.

Brian
Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Very creative,with the will and knowhow you can create about any thing ,and make it looks goog nice job Vall.
Thanks David!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
do the green led ligths glare at night, I have a blue one for high beam it is so bright I can not use them,it is only about toe size of a match head,

By the way your panel looks great,
I used blue LED indicators for the turn signals in my Austin, and they were so bright they literally blinded me when used at night. I ended up having to paint the end of the round lens to block off some of the light, and make it tolerable at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That looks GREAT! I got nothing done today, but I have to put in my five minutes so I got out there and did a little Ospho test. We will see tomorrow what it looks like being it was darn near dark when I got out there after falling asleep on the couch! Damn I am beat, don't know why.

Brian
Thanks Brian! Picked up my stencils yesterday, so I'll get the temporary lettering done before our Wed. evening cruise today.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.