The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 291 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
I have so many of those projects around the house to do! I just have to put them off or nothing out in the garage will get done! But they are waiting there........oh yeah, they are waiting........

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 03:33 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Back to drawing house plans. Boring. It should get interesting if I ever get a permit and get started though...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,351 Times in 1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I didn't bet to work on my truck last couple of days ,I have been doing Honey Do list building cabinents over the washer and dryer ,I built them with 3/4 in cabinet grade plywood on 2x2 franes I have the 2 coats of stain and just put on last coat of eurathane 3 coats, will build doors next week then sand and buff I have to get a new hinges and matching knobs and a roughter blade ,sounds like a good excuse to me. LOL
I haven't gotten to do anything with mine for a few days either. I will get back to it soon.

John
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Yea I have been missing your post,
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I try not to miss a day, and follow Brian's lead of doing at least a few minutes every day!
Pulled the backseat and rear side panels today. Made my templates for covering, as old panels were warped and fugly.

Got the naugahyde marked out, and contact cement applied to panel and vinyl.

Slapped it together and installed them back on the car. Lots easier than the door panels, other than removing the seat bottom.

Just carpet left to do now, and the interior will be pretty close to done.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Picked up the "new" brake shoes for my foklift. New linings bonded on, wheel cyls rebuilt.

An hour drive to get them (on the other side of the city) and two and a half hours back, thanx to a wreck on a bridge

Cleaned out my parts washer, took the old "stuff" to recyclers, refilled it with 5 gallons of fresh solvent, then put it to use on forklift parts.

Cleaned and Re-packed wheel bearings, reinstalled wheel cylinders, gravity bled the system. As soon as I can find the sketch of which parts go where, I'll reassemble the brakes, put the axles back in and get it mobile.

Still gotta finish flushing etc the cooling system. Should have that done tonight.

THEN I gotta pick up the 6 Volt alternator I ordered to replace a "dead" generator, and fab up a mounting bracket for it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Tonight I came home to my 53-57 Corvette park lamps that came in the mail, WHOO HOOO. I am going to try to get as many real vintage Corvette parts as I can for the truck. I will never have a vintage Vette so this is as close as I will get damn it, I am going to at least FEEL like I am surrounded by a Corvette when I drive it.

I got on the truck thinking I would spend my five minutes and at least get a piece of metal cut out for the door. Well first off this takes an amazingly long period of time. It blows me away how long this tedious stuff takes. I spent about 40 minutes making this little piece of metal fit perfect, trimming the edge of the door a little and then making a template for the upper piece.

So what I did when I sectioned the door was to cut along the edge of the fold on the skin, removing the piece that overlapped the inner structure. Sectioned the inner structure and then tacked the skin back to the structure. Well the bottom of the door jamb isn't as wide at the bottom as it is a few inches up, so I had to narrow the skin by cutting some off as it rolls around the bottom of the door. I then rolled the lip up and will weld this piece that lip so it will essentially be exactly as it was before.

Brian
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Brian you are a craftsman,it takes a little longer to do it the right way ,But the end results will be worth it,
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-11-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

today I worked on a Trans Am and got to see the Cab I worked on all finished.

These are both just drivers and the boss always says on these to not go crazy but I always tell him the bodywork always has to be the same, it's what happens after that changes. So the cab got one round of primer and soft padded with a DA. I don't agree with that unless you first block with a 240-320 then re guide coat and sand with the soft block but I'm not falling in love, it's a race truck. Still looks good. For a low end job I'm looking forward to seeing the Trans Am painted. I think it's gonna look pretty cool.

I got a bunch of new pics I'll load up tomorrow of different stuff I've been working on. Might also have some pics to show from an up and coming issue of a big time mag, so I hear. Hope it makes it in. Also will put up some new videos soon. I got tons of new footage.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Brian you are a craftsman,it takes a little longer to do it the right way ,But the end results will be worth it,
Did you lead that seam or did you weld and grind it smooth,
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Noticed my steering felt a little "loose" whenever I was under power, or did a lane change. So I checked my toe in to see what it was. I had set it when I rebuilt the straight axle, but hard to get good measurements from backing plate to backing plate.
I found the frontend actually had toe out, instead of toe in! I loosened the tierod and put about 1/8" of toe in into it, and test drove it. Amazing the difference it made. It was OK before, but now it's great!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I don't know much about straight axles,i have only owned one a 54 chevy and it was under it when I bought the car ,I yhink he said it was an econoline,to long ago,

I have been working on my Harley today ,had to remove saddle bags crash bars and rear floorboards to be able to remove rear tire, I am having to replace rear caliper again,i replaced it and rotor two years ago but I haven't ridden it in over a year so I guess it stuck and wont release so it will roll,will try rebuild kit first as it is only 40 dollars and a caliper is over 400 dollars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heritage Screaming Eagle 001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	75615  

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 07-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't know much about straight axles,i have only owned one a 54 chevy and it was under it when I bought the car ,I think he said it was an econoline,to long ago,

I have been working on my Harley today ,had to remove saddle bags crash bars and rear floorboards to be able to remove rear tire, I am having to replace rear caliper again,i replaced it and rotor two years ago but I haven't ridden it in over a year so I guess it stuck and wont release so it will roll,will try rebuild kit first as it is only 40 dollars and a caliper is over 400 dollars.
Yes, it's an Econoline straight axle.
I had that problem with my '76 Goldwing Ltd. David, only the front caliper. When it sat for long periods the front caliper would hang up. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything, then polished the bores and put in a new kit. It stopped the sticking.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Got a new welder and drill press. Well new to me. Got the drill press set up. But will work on redoing my welding cart to fit the new welder later. The welder is a Hobart Handler 140. The drill press is a huge old delta unit with multiple speeds so i can work metal with it.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,351 Times in 1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet View Post
Got a new welder and drill press. Well new to me. Got the drill press set up. But will work on redoing my welding cart to fit the new welder later. The welder is a Hobart Handler 140. The drill press is a huge old delta unit with multiple speeds so i can work metal with it.
I have had my Hobart Handler for at least 15 years Poet. It has been a great machine. Congratulations.

John

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.