The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 292 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,150 Posts
Just got back from a week in Navarre Beach with the kids and grandkids. Had a great time but ready to get back to work on Rusty.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Every man should have a MIG in the garage.

Brian
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Just got back from a week in Navarre Beach with the kids and grandkids. Had a great time but ready to get back to work on Rusty.

John

Oh yeah baby! I don't care what is in your life, if you can get out to something like that once in a while you got it made.

Brian
Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

What were the red flags for ,storm or shark.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

I got the roof back in the garage and started my rust clean up so I can cut it into pieces. DAMN did that kick my butt! I media blasted the structure, sanded the rust, drilled out the rear inner panel, the windlace runner, and sprayed some ospho on it. I got in took a shower and was asleep on the couch in about 38 seconds of a baseball game!

I know one thing that cracks me up is how easy it is to drill out spot welds and get stuff out of the way, things I learned in the collision industry. I would have never thought of doing this before years in collision. But it's so easy,"unbolt" the weld and weld it later so easily.

Brian

Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Installed a new catalytic converter on one of my vans. No more check engine lights and it will now go up a hill in third gear instead of first. I know not very interesting but there is a backstory to this saga. I live in California. That means that the same converter you have in the other 49 states won't do in Calif. They're not good enough for Calif. We only use converters that have the proper codes stamped on the that corresponds with our Calif. emissions standards. Getting those "magic numbers" on a converter costs the manufacturer about a bazillion dollars. There are no aftermarket converter for this van that meets Calif. emissions. Other 49 states yes. A aftermarket converter may actually clean the emissions the vehicle requires in CA. but they don't have those "magic numbers" stamped on the converter. Aftermarket converter retail cost $250.00. Ouch!! California compliant converter only available from the original manufacturer (Dodge) retail (sit down) $1031.00. My wholesale price $670.00. PLUS a $200.00 core charge. Why do they want it back? It's because you can't buy a new converter from Dodge for my van. It's remanufactured! Saying that there is a core charge on all cats.
Oh well at least we have beaches, clean air, over priced everything, movie stars and Tofu pizza!

BB
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

I hope it lasts for you. My Windstar was absolutely hopeless when it came to check engine lights. I changed O2 sensors, I had it cleared, I did everything and that sucker came back on and I got so tired of it I put a folded up business card in front of the light and never thought about it again.

Brian
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Spent the morning doing a few little maintenance items before the afternoon cruise yesterday. Cleaning up tires, wheels, glass, and interior. Then I got my striping brushes out and painted in the white insert in the side chrome that was nearly completely gone in the side trim.
Going to try to do the carpet this coming week. It wont be easy, but hope to get it done in a couple days.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

started out the day going to a local farmers market for some good organic fruit and veggies, then at sundown went to The Sac State Fair with my family. Man, that was a good time for my daughter, and her happiness is my happiness. What a money pit that place is. $9 bucks for some onion rings but boy were they good! Must go to the gym now to work off those calories.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

After church we were supposed to hit a church sponsored cruise down the street, but it was cancelled for unknown reasons. Instead the wife and I hit the local burger joint to get a burger and fresh raspberry shake! Any excuse to drive the car!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
John long (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

Smoothed all undercoating off bottom of front clip and body!

The Following User Says Thank You to PRO 48 fleetline For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Worked a little on switching over the welding cart to fit my new welder. Ran into a snag. The lincoln I used to have opened up on the left side, the hobart opens on the right. I cut off some of the stuff that held the lincoln on. Sat the Hobart up there and then realized the problem. The hooks that I hung the cords off of are all on that right side as is the gun holder. Think I will keep the gun holder where it is, but still have to rework the top and make it all work smooth. So instead of doing something rash I am going to think it over and then work on it later this week.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet View Post
Worked a little on switching over the welding cart to fit my new welder. Ran into a snag. The lincoln I used to have opened up on the left side, the hobart opens on the right. I cut off some of the stuff that held the lincoln on. Sat the Hobart up there and then realized the problem. The hooks that I hung the cords off of are all on that right side as is the gun holder. Think I will keep the gun holder where it is, but still have to rework the top and make it all work smooth. So instead of doing something rash I am going to think it over and then work on it later this week.
Ran into the same thing on my Miller. I attached the hooks low enough so they wouldn't be an issue, no matter which side I opened. I had issues with my cart not having a handle to push or pull it too. So I made up a handle on the front, to make it easier to steer or pull it.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,150 Posts
I played with some Rust Mort today. I wish I had some Ospho so I wasn't comparing apples to oranges but I played with what I had.

Some of the metal has cleaned up to shiney silver but some will have to be treated again tomorrow.

It the first picture you can see the untreated support and the treated one side by side.

In the next picture you can see the treated area and the rust that is still under the black coating. I will retreat it tomorrow and see if I can get the rest of the way down to the clean metal.

I will post a little more detailed information on the Ospho link that is active.

John
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO 48 fleetline View Post
Smoothed all undercoating off bottom of front clip and body!

LOL, When I opened this thread I thought that was some sort of fork lift or something with the eng lid open. I stared at it for a while and read your comment before I figured out what I was looking at!

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.