The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 294 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I did not get much done today but did spend my 5 minutes in the garage. I retreated the body mount channel with Rust Mort, hooked up the full bottle of argon (25/75) to my MIG and kind of planned my next steps with the BelAir.

I have a badly deteriorated frame mount that I believe I will replace before I continue on with the body mounts. I bought some 12 gauge to make it out of yesterday. I dread drilling out the rivets but it will be good to get it behind me. Fortunately it is the only rotten frame mount I have found......so far.

John

But you got SOMETHING done.

I really have to wonder on my frame how many rivet on components I will remove when I have it sand blasted. I HATE the thought of having rust between them. I know I will be removing the running board brackets because I plan on raising them up anyway. But I wonder about everything else.

Tonight I worked enough to have to run in and take a shower. That's when I know I have really worked.

But anyway, did some tool testing for cleaning up the rust, DAMN that stuff is wicked!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Spent some time looking into my non functioning speedo. Found the cable got too close to the exhaust and melted the jacket, which froze up the cable. Had to get a new cable for it. At least it wasn't a spendy fix.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Did you get the overheating problem corrected.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
I removed and fabricated a new frame mount today. I beat it to death on my thread so I won't bore everyone with more pictures here. I did have a great day and am really excited to be back to work on the old girl.

It is cool to see everyone getting things done to their projects. It really helps to keep motivated when everyone is working on something and posting their progress.

John
Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Got this fish in primer today..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_9144.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	75791  
Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I removed and fabricated a new frame mount today. I beat it to death on my thread so I won't bore everyone with more pictures here. I did have a great day and am really excited to be back to work on the old girl.

It is cool to see everyone getting things done to their projects. It really helps to keep motivated when everyone is working on something and posting their progress.

John

always glad to see your post I might learn by watching a pro..

I might get to start back on my project soon ,the paint booth has ben tied up the last few weeks with all the Ambulences still 4 more unless they bring more .also the 52 school buses we takked about are coming in now..moving to a new bigger shop Aug 1 ,with an additional 2 booths may get caught up some then and I can start on mine again,
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
always glad to see your post I might learn by watching a pro..

I might get to start back on my project soon ,the paint booth has ben tied up the last few weeks with all the Ambulences still 4 more unless they bring more .also the 52 school buses we takked about are coming in now..moving to a new bigger shop Aug 1 ,with an additional 2 booths may get caught up some then and I can start on mine again,
Sounds like your bucket is definitely full.....I know you are anxious to get back on it.

John
Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Did you get the overheating problem corrected.
It's not really overheating David, just running hotter than I'd like. And it still is on these 90+ degree days.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

I've been TRYING to make progress on the '38 upgrades but keep running into "issues". I removed the front clip to have easy access for the PS rack swap, which went really well, but I discovered a loose lower ball joint on the right side. Ordered a new ball joint from Speedway and while it was in transit decided to remove the bad one and see if I could figure out why it rode so hard. I was doing some reading about setting up the suspension and realized my lower control arms were level with the car on stands... They should've been angled down to allow for compression travel to ride height on the wheels, which is were they were under the weight of the car. Seemed strange that there were in the same place without weight. I saw the upper shock bushings were all but pounded out and realized they were what is holding the suspension from downward travel. I put my floor jack under the arm and removed the shock bolt. With the shock loose at the top, the arm came down 2 INCHES with lowering the jack !! I then removed the spring and it seemed too long for the amount of space between the arms and the travel length. I decided to look into a coil over conversion and saw Speedway had one and called QA-1 about it. Their tech agreed that should be what I need and the lighter coil should give me adjustability afor a better ride. Ordered the kit from Summit because it qualified for free shipping at the same cost as Speedway. That got here last Friday and I went to install it on Saturday. I discovered the lower control arm needed major modification for the coil nuts to fit and proceded to butcher it with my plasma. Once I got the hole big enough, I went to install the coil and shock only to discover it created the same issue. That shock was the same length as the one I removed and held the control arm level with no spring pressure. I would've needed to crank the spring rate up too high just to hold the weight of the car !!! Nothing I could do about it on Sat so called QA-1 on Monday morning. After describing what was happening to the tech, he said they had never run into this issue with an after market MII conversion before. To confuse the issue further, the lower shock bolt I have is METRIC. Again, he said no manufacterer he knew of used metric fasteners. We concluded it is a cheap Chinese know-off and not uniform with anything offered by the major manufacturers. We then dug thru their catalog to find a shock 2" longer to work with this morphadite and came up with a kit designed for 64-72 GM A body cars. I called Summit and they did the exchange. I also need to change the lower shock mount from the flat T-bar to the bolt sleeve, so the tech at Summit ordered "them" too. I got the coil over kit Tuesday and waited until yesterday for the sleeves to install the kit. UPS came around 12:30 yesterday afternoon and when I opened the box there was ONE FREAKIN' sleeve inside. Apparently the Summit tech thought they came as a pair because he ordered a "kit" from QA-1. I was soooo pissed, I hopped in my car and drove the 85 miles round trip to QA-1 and got the other sleeve rather than waiting another 2 days... Luckily, they are that close to me. I installed the right shock and spring last night and it all looks great. I then started on the left only to discover that lower ball joint isn't loose but binds and grinds when moving it by hand... So I'm sitting here waiting ,YET AGAIN, for UPS to bring me another ball joint....

That's my saga for the past 10 days....
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

That sure seems to be a familiar story with hotrodding sometimes! The waiting on parts, or getting less than needed, or wrong parts. Frustrating at the very least; especially with good summer car weather!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

seems to be a problem with most suppliers ,I ordered a stainless dash panel for my truck ,from LMC a reputable company ?? the add specified stainless so I called the tech line to be sure as I did not want chrome,i paid 120.00 for a piece of tin 6iix12 in PAINTED silver with a small piece of chrome at top and bottom ,already pited with rust, I called LMC they said to send it back,i have already paid 22 dollars shipping Ups wants 30 to send ut back and then there would be 33 more to receive a new one so I have a new rusted one on the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	75796  
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
seems to be a problem with most suppliers ,I ordered a stainless dash panel for my truck ,from LMC a reputable company ?? the add specified stainless so I called the tech line to be sure as I did not want chrome,i paid 120.00 for a piece of tin 6iix12 in PAINTED silver with a small piece of chrome at top and bottom ,already pited with rust, I called LMC they said to send it back,i have already paid 22 dollars shipping Ups wants 30 to send ut back and then there would be 33 more to receive a new one so I have a new rusted one on the shelf.

I have to tell you about my experience with LMC. We bought a quarter panel for a 70ish Chevy pickup and it came damaged. I called them up and they said another was on it's way. WHAM, about two days and we had the new one and they said to throw away the damaged one, done deal. There was another time something like that happened, I forget exactly what it was but they did the same thing, they are top notch in customer service in my book.
Maybe they found out you were that boyfriend who dumped the owners daughter in high school breaking her heart?

Brian
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Since LMC made the mistake they should pay shipping back. I've never purchased from them, but the major distributors like Summit, Jegs, and Speedway have all paid shipping when they gave me faulty or wrong products.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Call them back and tell them they need to issue you a Call Tag to pick up this wrong part.

BB
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Since LMC made the mistake they should pay shipping back. I've never purchased from them, but the major distributors like Summit, Jegs, and Speedway have all paid shipping when they gave me faulty or wrong products.
When I called Summit about exchanging the coil-over kits, they sent out the new one OVERNIGHT at their expense. It left Ohio at 8:30 that night and I had it on my porch, in MN, at 9:30am the next day... They had UPS pick up the return at the same time, no charge to me. I was pissed that they missed on the needed 2nd sleeve, but with the service I had just received, I wasn't going to call and chew them out.

UPS was just here again with my new ball joint and a trans temp gauge I ordered along with a thermostat to control the trans cooler with fan I'm going with....

No excuse to stay in the cool house now. I need to get out and get to work...

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.