The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 295 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
seems to be a problem with most suppliers ,I ordered a stainless dash panel for my truck ,from LMC a reputable company ?? the add specified stainless so I called the tech line to be sure as I did not want chrome,i paid 120.00 for a piece of tin 6iix12 in PAINTED silver with a small piece of chrome at top and bottom ,already pited with rust, I called LMC they said to send it back,i have already paid 22 dollars shipping Ups wants 30 to send ut back and then there would be 33 more to receive a new one so I have a new rusted one on the shelf.

I listed shipping wrong it was 30 to receive 20 to ship it back on UPS and 33 to reship because they charge handling charges also ,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,107 Posts
Remember the good old days when we went to the salvage yard and found something that would work? I really miss that. In those days you developed a friendship with the guy who owned the yard. He took care of you and you looked forward to going to see him. Going to the junk yard with your buddy was a days recreation. I miss that.

John
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Remember the good old days when we went to the salvage yard and found something that would work? I really miss that. In those days you developed a friendship with the guy who owned the yard. He took care of you and you looked forward to going to see him. Going to the junk yard with your buddy was a days recreation. I miss that.

John
Yep, I had a 1950 Chevy seat for a long time for my truck I got at a regular old wrecking yard, then decided to get rid of it because I didn't see doing the truck for so many years and didn't want to store it. Now I'm looking for another.

Back a few years ago my brother asked me to go to the wrecking yard and get an oil pan off a motor of a 57 Buick he heard was there. He lives quite a way from here so he couldn't do it. I went down there on a Saturday morning and laid under that car pulling that pan and it was therapeutic. I was laying there, not a soul around with the gentle bay breezes and some birds chirping, it hit me how much I missed going out there. When I was a kid we had three wrecking yards out there..."Little Al's" come on, is that a great wrecking yard name? Little Al's and "Able's" and "Ace". Now it's one big "Pick-ur-part" or what ever it's called. But anyway laying under that 57 was so relaxing. Got the cab I am using for my truck right out of that property when it was "Able's". Had a long time manager who I worked with for years, Glen. He died of a heart attack right there in the office just a few weeks after I bought the cab.

Brian
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I miss them also ,the last one with any vintage closed last year (Next door ) after Robert the owner and long time friend passed away ,his son kept it open only a few months, they only do minor repairs there now,all the salvage yards around here now only handle late model stuff that insurance company buy for collision repair,there are still a few but not close by..
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Yes those days are gone. My friends and I would go up to Lightfoot's junk yard on Saturday mornings. The owners name was "Peaches" Lightfoot and his salvage yard was on Grasshopper Road. No Joke.

We could spend the day gathering old parts for our cars. We would put everything we wanted in a pile and ask peaches what we owed him. He would look at our pile and say something like "well, that stuff doesn't weigh enough to bring anything scrap. Give me 3 dollars for the generator and a dollar fifty for the rest of it." I miss him. It's not all about the money. Those were just different times.

John
Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I drilled and mounted my frame bracket today. I have to take it out one more time and add the reinforcement in the end. Then I can paint the inside of it, reinstall it and shim the cowl.

It would have been easier to do later on when the body was off the frame but I was afraid it would sag and prevent my panel alignment from staying put.The old one was in pretty rough shape.

John

Old 07-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you about my experience with LMC. We bought a quarter panel for a 70ish Chevy pickup and it came damaged. I called them up and they said another was on it's way. WHAM, about two days and we had the new one and they said to throw away the damaged one, done deal. There was another time something like that happened, I forget exactly what it was but they did the same thing, they are top notch in customer service in my book.
Maybe they found out you were that boyfriend who dumped the owners daughter in high school breaking her heart?

Brian

I don't normally have any problems ,and they have Very good quality parts i can buy some cheaper but I like there parts so I use them ,I don't know the problem on the dash panel .i pulled up the lmc site they have removed the Stainless Steel from the ad but still in catalog.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I don't normally have any problems ,and they have Very good quality parts i can buy some cheaper but I like there parts so I use them ,I don't know the problem on the dash panel .i pulled up the lmc site they have removed the Stainless Steel from the ad but still in catalog.
If the part is not what they advertised, it is THEIR reponsibility to have it shipped back and reimburse you 100%. Call and ask for a manager and explain what the situation is. Sometimes the people answering the phones don't have authority to act but a manager sure as heck will. Shouldn't cost you a dime, if you are unhappy.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Today I made progress. The other ball joint came in so I got the front suspension together. I then decided where to put the trans cooler and that involved cutting off the muffler on the right side. The PO placed the mufflers right under the seats instead of back at the axle... The best place to mount the cooler was right above the muffler, so off it came. Once the cooler was bolted to the floor, I put the engine/trans back in and called it a day. Tomorrow I am most likely going to Car Craft.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
If the part is not what they advertised, it is THEIR reponsibility to have it shipped back and reimburse you 100%. Call and ask for a manager and explain what the situation is. Sometimes the people answering the phones don't have authority to act but a manager sure as heck will. Shouldn't cost you a dime, if you are unhappy.

this is the part The center section ,the right is original, clearly it is painted and the strip on top and bottom are chrome ,I have since installed the original,, I still like all of the parts being installed ,some are LMC some are Brothers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LMC parts 001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	75805   Click image for larger version

Name:	LMC parts 002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	75806   Click image for larger version

Name:	LMC parts 003.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	75807  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
First day since I started on the truck that I did nothing on it. I got out there and cleaned up a little but didn't work on the truck at all. Tomorrow and the weekend, I hope to get the roof stripped and back on the cab!

Brian
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

hey malc i took some pics and measurements for ya today, ill get them posted for ya sometime tommorow after i get the pics resized and all that, its damn near 11 already and i gota be back to work at 5am ughhhh
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I pulled the wheels off my car trailor ,replaced and packed wheel bearings and seals ,bought a set of Reece bearing buddies the steel caps have grease fittings in center ,got to last cap it is to big,i thought the hub night have ben reolaced so I took grease cap off of the other side it fits fine ,so the cap is wrong 1st piece I ever bought from Reece that was wrong exchange it tomorrow,
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I did nothing today. That is what I did.

John L
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I am going to Alabama to the lake site tomorrow I have to move a dock over to my site , I bought it from a neighbor who sold out ,we are going to attempt to move it ,might have ben eaiser to just build a new one .??

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.