The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 297 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
i primed most of this , and ive never sprayed a car before so im pretty happy about how it came out, my friend who paints was there to help me
Looking good. i know you are excited. Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got the roof back up into place too. Looking gooood!

WHOOO HOOOO!

I really can see the difference of that half inch less chop and I am digging it.

Brian
Yes! To me, that is going to be the perfect chop. It brings the truck into perfect proportions and looks like the factory built it that way. Someone who is not familiar with these trucks may not realise it is chopped.

When it is done you need to always park beside one that is stock if you can.

The sectioning and chopping work perfectly together. Maybe you should have been a GM designer.

John

BTW Have you decided for sure what you are going to do with the rear window?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
the hood on the car now is being thrown away ill be replacing it with a brand new 4 inch steel cowl hood
Um, you don't seriously mean "thrown away"... Around here a clean IROC/Z hood is worth $150 any day.

I've been gathering parts for the '38. I'm installing a trans temp gauge and fan thermostat for the cooler fan. I went to the hardware store for brass fittings to mount them in line and WOW, brass is expensive !!

I was going to put the trans crossmember back in yesterday and quickly realized it is going to require major surgery. The mount on the 200r4 is several inches rearward from the th350 location and the crossmember is a cut to fit affair. It's now too narrow to fit the frame in the new location so I need to cut it up and add tube in.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Looking good. i know you are excited. Congratulations.

Yes! To me, that is going to be the perfect chop. It brings the truck into perfect proportions and looks like the factory built it that way. Someone who is not familiar with these trucks may not realise it is chopped.

When it is done you need to always park beside one that is stock if you can.

The sectioning and chopping work perfectly together. Maybe you should have been a GM designer.

John

BTW Have you decided for sure what you are going to do with the rear window?
Thanks John, I am not sure on the rear window, I am planning on putting the stock window out of the extra roof and then widening it over to the quarter windows leaving exactly the distance between the door glass and the quarter glass so they are all the same all the way around. OR tighten it up a bit so it's more like that 57 Buick. But this is honestly one of those very hard choices and I am going to think long and hard before I do that. I am also going to mock it up, and photo shop it before too. This is one of those changes where you really need to get it out in the driveway and stand back and look at it from different angles.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Looking good Brian. I have always thought of taking one of those style trucks and mounting a 55 car rear window vertically in place of the factory window. It would take a lot of time and a little fab, but I think the look would be interesting. I'm not very good with photo shop so maybe you could mock that up for me when you have time.

Kelly
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

There is one with a wrap around window like a 55 truck had, it looks awesome. It looks like it may be a Dodge truck rear glass as they were "Chopped" height.

But this is a GM Motorama truck so I couldn't use one of those.

Brian
Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Um, you don't seriously mean "thrown away"... Around here a clean IROC/Z hood is worth $150 any day.
the hood is tweaked pretty badly on the driver side and has more waves in it then the ocean.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:12 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
There is one with a wrap around window like a 55 truck had, it looks awesome. It looks like it may be a Dodge truck rear glass as they were "Chopped" height.

But this is a GM Motorama truck so I couldn't use one of those.

Brian
Yes you could Brian.
All the body parts were custom. Why not the glass. Whose to say that GM didn't use something that was pre built? They were concept cars not production cars.

BB
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Yes you could Brian.
All the body parts were custom. Why not the glass. Whose to say that GM didn't use something that was pre built? They were concept cars not production cars.

BB
This is true. The only thing stopping me is that I don't have the 54 cab with the one piece windshield. And it's a little too much without the one piece windshield. And I have thought about that too, I have thought about putting the front half of the cowl and roof from a 54......I just hate to drift so far from MY truck that I know and love. My happy medium that hit me one night was to put a very narrow strip in the middle of the windshields instead of that one inch wide one of the production model. I am thinking that will be that middle of the road that will be acceptable in my mind with what I am after.

Brian
Old 07-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

I did some of the work to redo my welding cart. It took me awhile to get a smooth bead, but at least one of them looks ok. I used some brackets I had on hand to retain and position the welder. Also ground off the cord holders that were on the wrong side. Still have some planning to do and will add some tip storage. Also still have to figure out tank retention as well. My plan is to use chain to hold the tank in place, but I have to weld on a piece for the bottom of the tank to rest on.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
This is true. The only thing stopping me is that I don't have the 54 cab with the one piece windshield. And it's a little too much without the one piece windshield. And I have thought about that too, I have thought about putting the front half of the cowl and roof from a 54......I just hate to drift so far from MY truck that I know and love. My happy medium that hit me one night was to put a very narrow strip in the middle of the windshields instead of that one inch wide one of the production model. I am thinking that will be that middle of the road that will be acceptable in my mind with what I am after.

Brian
I do think if you stray too far from your vision you had as a kid you will regret it. This is your opportunity to build the truck you dreamed of back before you had the tools, money or knowledge to pull it off. The Motorama concept is perfect because you are using the parts, style and methods that were available when you first had the truck back in your high school days.

I only spent about 2 hours in the garage but did get a little more done on the body mount that goes under the front of the seat.

Lynn Yearwood would approve.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
Brian have you considered V butting the windshield it eliminates the divider but retains stock angled glass not the curved glass of a 54 ,then your stock wipers and arms will work ,i think they look great a friend of mine in Ringold has this done but I donr have any pictures.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

I thought about it, the problem with that is, it's a common thing now, and they wouldn't have done that I don't think in 1950. They actually make a bent windshield believe it or not.

I am after what REALLY would have been done in the early fifties by GM so it take a bit of a stretch in your head.

Brian
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

The cab and roof are once again united! WHOOO HOOOO! They are merely tack welded but they are aligned up and welded in never to be torn apart.

I had to "un-lean" the bottom post because of the 1/2" less chop. By cutting the inner structure out around the rear windows it was MUCH easier to move it where I wanted. Amazing what a difference that makes.

Brian

Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

I took this photo so show some friends of mine what the 2.5 inch section and 3.5 inch chop looked like next to the stock door.

I then grabbed the door from the back one hand on the front and one on the rear and carried it back to the yard where it was before I grabbed it for the photo. As I am carrying it I see this.......

Thank God it was getting dark and cooler and they stayed right there, not a single one flew out! This was about 8 inches from my face!

Brian
Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I know you can't wait to lengthen that top and make it one piece again. I love it.

John

Wow, just saw the wasp nest.

Last edited by John long; 07-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.