Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#5,961 ·
Looking good David. I really like your hood vent/emblem. That is going to be really unique feature.

Looks like you will be riding in the spring....See you in Cleveland maybe?

John
Thanks John I tried to post pictures of the running boards also ,I widened them to match the fenders and smoothed the tops ,-welded sheet metal oner ribs ,not just filled with filler ,there are so many small changes I have made few will ever see or notice them ..waiting until Saturday for paint to cure ,then we will bull it cant wait to see it.:D:D:D

Attachments

#5,964 · (Edited)
Thanks Brian as slow as I am going on mine and with your skill and knowledge you will be finished before me,i only get to work on mine between other jobs,,i have been cleaning out my shop trying to make room where I can bring my truck home ,it is at my sons shop now, bought another tool chest to put up some of my tools ,I will have to buy 1 more whwe I bring every thing home,
haven't used this shop in about 14 months so its a mess

Attachments

#5,965 ·
Tonight was pretty frustrating. My brake is not big enough to make the door bottom in one piece and if it was the bends are too close together anyway so I had to make the bottom in two pieces and put them together. Also had to work the bends in with a vice.

I did, and they are made but they are not what I would like them to be. The two pieces just don't flow together. I may have more time to spend on these than I would like.

We will see.

John

#5,966 ·
5 minutes in the garage tonight.:D

John
I actually put in about an hour, got my roof tack welded across again.

I am feeling good about this again, it's been so long I was a little nervous. But after tonight I am feeling way better at gas welding it and making it do what I want. I'll sleep good tonight. :D

Brian

#5,967 ·
Tonight was pretty frustrating. My brake is not big enough to make the door bottom in one piece and if it was the bends are too close together anyway so I had to make the bottom in two pieces and put them together. Also had to work the bends in with a vice.

I did, and they are made but they are not what I would like them to be. The two pieces just don't flow together. I may have more time to spend on these than I would like.

We will see.

John

from the looks of the seam I'd guess you have the same ol cheap HF brake I have.:D Welcome to the one bend only club...the rest of the bends will require some creativity.

#5,968 ·

We will see.

John

It may not be perfect but damn it looks good from here!

Brian

#5,972 ·
I really like fusion welding ,haven't tried it in a while,but I still have to ada little metal in some places ( clothes hanger ),some one will laugh but iy works great
\
Your welds are looking Great ,like that fit also,:thumbup:
I am going to disagree a little with you here David about the coat hanger. When we were young most of us used coat hanger wire and you are right, it did work well. But.....I was welding a floor in my Merc some years ago and had bought a bunch of coat hangers at the Good Will store when some one told me to pic out the old heavy ones that were easy to bend. He said the newer ones were made out of recycled metal and did not melt cleanly. I realized he was correct.

I splurged and bought some 3/32CC (copper coated) welding rod and never burned another coat hanger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! You certainly can weld with coat hanger but if you ever use a good CC rod, you will never want to again. Also the CC rod is pretty inexpensive too.

John

#5,974 ·
Thank s for info ,if I were weldind a long span like brains roof I would use coated wire or a tig,,but what I was referring to is small jobs like cracks in jeep fenders ,on old mud boggers around here they are big right now ,I drill a hold at the end of the crack then braze/weld it most of the time don't even grind it down ,because it is going to get bent or broken sunday any way :D:D

#5,975 ·
Welding

I actually put in about an hour, got my roof tack welded across again.

I am feeling good about this again, it's been so long I was a little nervous. But after tonight I am feeling way better at gas welding it and making it do what I want. I'll sleep good tonight. :D

Brian
Wish I could watch your welding process up close cause it looks real good:cool:

Bill